BMW I3 -Most Dangerious Steering Of Any Car I've Owned!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Idleup said:
the steering problems the I3 suffers in numerous areas as I outlined above.

We are still waiting for you to provide the hundreds of reports showing the i3 steering is 'Dangerous'

So far, you have outlined an opinion held by at most a couple of disgruntled member i3 owners. Well, to be fair, they may not even own an i3, but in any case they are in a tiny minority here, not hundreds. I think there is only one here who claims 'dangerous'.

While we are at it, let's be clear about this complaint.

Idleup said:
Just the other day while my wife was driving at 60 mph, a dog ran our from the shoulder and while it was no real threat to us, she nearly lost control of the car by the over-reactive steering - the steering is 100% too sensitive expessially on a narrow wheelbase car that is on the top-heavy side.

If a dog runs out in front of the car while it is travelling at speed, the correct response is not to swerve. The correct response is to brake heavily.

Apart from the danger of a panic steering action, the car can then be put in the way of oncoming or passing traffic causing potentially fatal consequences. Now that is dangerous! Please relay to your wife for both your sakes.

See here for the physics: http://scienceblogs.com/dotphysics/2010/08/05/turn-or-go-straight-quick/

I33t said:
Idleup said:
I33t said:
I think the problem here is not the car.

The i3 has very direct steering with little to no dead zone in the center. Some people just can't handle that apparently. These are qualities I LOOK for in a car!

One of my other cars is also a German made car with direct steering and no dead spot. The steering is really good, has better feel than the i3, is also heavier, but it is also a lot more fidgety than the i3.

If you are having trouble getting used to the i3 steering, maybe there is a fault. Check your tyre pressures and wheel alignment.

If you want Pontiac steering, don't buy an i3. :)

Goofy Reply - quick question- If the steering is so high tech and as you say "German" then why is it no other BMW available has that same over-sensitive steering - I own a BMW I8 and the steering is perfect and absolutely nothing like the I3.

Well, the steering is high tech, but that was not my claim. I did claim it was 'German' because it is. As for other cars including other BMW's not steering exactly the same as an i3, are you aware of what a 'StrawMan argument' is?

Wikipedia said:
A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument which was not advanced by that opponent.

I never made the claim that the steering has the exact same steering as an i8, a Porsche or whatever. If you look back I clearly said:

direct steering with little to no dead zone in the center

I stand by my words. My German cars have direct steering with little to no dead spot in the center. I look for those qualities in cars, and the i3 has it. Please read those words, not the words in your imagination.

LOL You remind me of the lady driving down I 95 for 4 miles with a flat!

Idleup said:
LOL You remind me of the lady driving down I 95 for 4 miles with a flat!

LOL You remind me of the person involved in a single vehicle accident blaming the vehicle for your error.

Idleup said:
I33t said:
I think the problem here is not the car.

The i3 has very direct steering with little to no dead zone in the center. Some people just can't handle that apparently. These are qualities I LOOK for in a car!

One of my other cars is also a German made car with direct steering and no dead spot. The steering is really good, has better feel than the i3, is also heavier, but it is also a lot more fidgety than the i3.

If you are having trouble getting used to the i3 steering, maybe there is a fault. Check your tyre pressures and wheel alignment.

If you want Pontiac steering, don't buy an i3. :)

Goofy Reply - quick question- If the steering is so high tech and as you say "German" then why is it no other BMW available has that same over-sensitive steering - I own a BMW I8 and the steering is perfect and absolutely nothing like the I3.

If you going to make statements do your research before engaging you mind! Other than just the steering problems the I3 suffers in numerous areas as I outlined above.

Best Regards!

Friendly advice: don't waste your time. Reason, logic and facts are not relevant. I have made this mistake here before engaging with some posters.

uktechie said:
It seems the two guys going on here are a pair of wind up Muppets :lol: , saying my other car is an i8 or I have 4 other cars well lucky you, you must be able to afford to just admit i3 is not for you and trade in and move on.

I have just had another blast today in mine and well happy and latest software update not had any negative effect on regen and in fact increased my range +10 without any extra effort to drive Eco.

Thanks for the advice but no I won't move on. I will stick with the car solely because of the Rex. Love the functionality.

That doesn't mean I won't point out its shortcomings as I see it. I absolutely believe a lot of people love the i3 and have a blast. I am not trying to convince them otherwise. Interesting how the courtesy is NOT extended in reverse and name calling and personal attacks are considered a good response to a factual or subjective statement.

Btw in my case the other cars came in when a poster kept making authoritative statements about how I don't understand what a sport suspension or steering is like. Best one was how the i3 is "typical BMW" and I somehow didn't know that. Hilarious.

Having watched and commented on this topic I thought I would pay special attention to the car’s steering when I was out today just to see if I could detect a ‘problem’. Well I could not find any twitchiness in my car and in fact drove fora fair time (very carefully!!) at between 60 and 70 mph without my hands i direct contact (hovering above) with the wheel and the steering was rock solid. I can therefore only assume that some cars are more twitchy than others. if you weren’t so far away I would offer you a drive!

Look I'm really happy you like the i3 I'm not telling anyone to sell their car. By just living with the problems is not a solution remember BMW just builds the cars, we the public are the real research and development to make the car better.

All I'm saying is for a $50,000 car which is higher than the price of a C Class Mercedes which is loaded BMW stuck it to us on the features, why should we have to upgrade to get a lousey $3.50 camera to maybe prevent a kid from getting ran over. Why not put blindside warning, the sensor module is already there instead of this goofy Self Parking scams which is not needed which is destroying the wheels to sell cars, concentrate that effort to help prevent accidents.

Also the whole generator thing is wrong and stupid, let the driver decide when he wants to use the generator instead of some computer which runs the battery down so low it won't climb a hill. Also, give the damn generator the ability to charge the battery when we're driving at lower speeds.

Let the generator be useful, put a damn tank in the car so we don't have to stop every hour if we decide or have to take an unexpected trip.

The I3 should have never been released in its present state, shame on you BMW!

Idleup said:
For most people, the i3 will not be viable for a single vehicle. It was NOT designed to be. Just like you can't really drive a railroad spike with an 8-oz ball peen hammer, trying to use the i3 for things it was not designed for is problematic. Viewed as it was designed, they did an excellent job IMHO. Certainly, not everyone will agree with some of the design decisions, but each one of them was made for a reason, and is not arbitrary.

California is BMW's biggest market for EV's in the USA. Are they supposed to support multiple versions, with subsequent training and operations in various states? Is it reasonable, if need arises, to be able to shift inventory from one state to another? That would not be easily or economically possible if the design differed.

Essentially, since the car was first delivered for sale in the USA, the capabilities are the same as advertised. Yes, prior to release, they differed in some respects, not only in the REx operations, but the availability of the sunroof in this market. Don't blame BMW...the US federal regulations are written one way (along with CARB's), and trying to change any government agency is a slow and tortuous process. It obviously didn't change in the time BMW had hoped. Laser headlights, and many of the advanced features available elsewhere are plainly illegal in the USA, although part of that has been modified, some of the best parts of the adaptive system have not and we'll be getting a half-baked solution. It's not BMW's fault. Audi and Porsche and MB all have neat headlight systems that are not legal in the USA...it's not just BMW that's affected along with their customers.

All of this grousing about features not available or the decision BMW made...silly. It is what it is. IMHO, it's NOT dangerous. Wishing for changes may be effective long-term, but right now, the market is still volatile. BMW is making about as many i3's as they can, and not likely to make changes until inventory builds up across the board in all markets. That may not happen. LIve with it.

DarrenG said:
And yet you still bought it!

Yes, I did buy it. Or lease it in my case. But the car I test drove did not have the defect that the one they gave me had. BMW admit that I have a defective car, that they have no idea of the cause and no idea of how to fix it. They just want me to shut up and go away and live with the problem.

So what are those in my shoes to do? Pretend that all is wonderful...... Why? Do not respond to threads that discuss legitimate issues........why? Attack those who have cars with no problems........why?

Idleup said:
Look I'm really happy you like the i3 I'm not telling anyone to sell their car. By just living with the problems is not a solution remember BMW just builds the cars, we the public are the real research and development to make the car better.

All I'm saying is for a $50,000 car which is higher than the price of a C Class Mercedes which is loaded BMW stuck it to us on the features, why should we have to upgrade to get a lousey $3.50 camera to maybe prevent a kid from getting ran over. Why not put blindside warning, the sensor module is already there instead of this goofy Self Parking scams which is not needed which is destroying the wheels to sell cars, concentrate that effort to help prevent accidents.

Also the whole generator thing is wrong and stupid, let the driver decide when he wants to use the generator instead of some computer which runs the battery down so low it won't climb a hill. Also, give the damn generator the ability to charge the battery when we're driving at lower speeds.

Let the generator be useful, put a damn tank in the car so we don't have to stop every hour if we decide or have to take an unexpected trip.

You didn't see any of these problems before you signed the order?

And your detailed list of grievances doesn't include steering any more, just options you failed to select or weren't available but you still ordered the car so that you could blame BMW for your own poor decision?

Have you educated yourself and your wife to hit the brakes not the steering next time a dog runs in front of the car on the highway?

WoodlandHills said:
DarrenG said:

Yes, I did buy it. Or lease it in my case. But the car I test drove did not have the defect that the one they gave me had. BMW admit that I have a defective car, that they have no idea of the cause and no idea of how to fix it. They just want me to shut up and go away and live with the problem.

So what are those in my shoes to do? Pretend that all is wonderful...... Why? Do not respond to threads that discuss legitimate issues........why? Attack those who have cars with no problems........why?

If BMW admit you have a defective car, then call them on the lemon law.

Complaining here won't solve your problems.

I33t said:
WoodlandHills said:
DarrenG said:

If BMW admit you have a defective car, then call them on the lemon law.

Complaining here won't solve your problems.

No shit....... Thanks for pointing out the bloody obvious.

Lemon law is not as simple as you might think and does not happen overnight. In the meantime I intend to continue to post my honest reports of my experience with the i3 that I happen to own.

Perhaps a prospective buyer might read about the issues that I and others are having and decide to look a bit deeper before buying or leasing. At the very least it will give valuable information for the all important pre-acceptance test drive...... If I prevent one person from buying an i3 with the issue mine has then all the attitude from those who have drunk the BMW kool-aide is worth it. Contrary to your experience, not all i3s are put together as well as yours and demeaning or trying to invalidate the feedback of those with Bad'uns will not change that.

Did it ever occur to you that there might be issues with build quality that have one chassis with twitchy steering and another with a stable chassis with quick sporty steering? BMW is having trouble building such a new design of such a complicated chassis. It's not just mechanical issues there are lots of reports of car with major software/hardware issues. If you get a good one, life is sweet, but if you have a bad one, you are stuck: the problems just keep coming. And BMW is often not much help, it's a new car for them and frankly, they don't seem very motivated either....

This is not my first new car introduction. I bought one of the first smart cars to arrive in America, spent months on the main forum for the car and I never saw one tenth of the number of problems as there are here. Both of our smarts were as reliable as a hammer: no problems ever. Parts arrived when needed in 24 hours if not in stock when I crunched a fender and when I was hit by another car. The forums were filled with owners, but none were reporting any problems....... That's not what it looks like here in i3world.

WoodlandHills said:
I bought one of the first smart cars to arrive in America, spent months on the main forum for the car and I never saw one tenth of the number of problems as there are here. Both of our smarts were as reliable as a hammer: no problems ever. Parts arrived when needed in 24 hours if not in stock when I crunched a fender and when I was hit by another car. The forums were filled with owners, but none were reporting any problems....... That's not what it looks like here in i3world.

FWIW the Nissan Leaf also has some issues with parts availability and speed of repairs. I think part of it has to do with the fact that dealers have much less clue how to work on a BEV or a car out of the norm, and part of it is there are less common parts with these cars than the typical "fleet" so its sometimes harder to come by. Some people waited for weeks on end for a replacement heat pump/resistive heater when some were defective.

None of which goes against what you are saying. What I have been a little surprised to hear about is the kind of response people have been getting from BMW on their i3 or i8s with questions and issues. For an innovation division, where they are showing their "future vision" and trying to build a brand, I am a little taken aback that it seems BMW sometimes comes across as some of the posters here. I haven't had any such experience yet, but I also haven't had any mechanical or repair issues on the i cars (only have been an i brand owner for 3 months or so).

epirali said:
WoodlandHills said:
I bought one of the first smart cars to arrive in America, spent months on the main forum for the car and I never saw one tenth of the number of problems as there are here. Both of our smarts were as reliable as a hammer: no problems ever. Parts arrived when needed in 24 hours if not in stock when I crunched a fender and when I was hit by another car. The forums were filled with owners, but none were reporting any problems....... That's not what it looks like here in i3world.

FWIW the Nissan Leaf also has some issues with parts availability and speed of repairs. I think part of it has to do with the fact that dealers have much less clue how to work on a BEV or a car out of the norm, and part of it is there are less common parts with these cars than the typical "fleet" so its sometimes harder to come by. Some people waited for weeks on end for a replacement heat pump/resistive heater when some were defective.

None of which goes against what you are saying. What I have been a little surprised to hear about is the kind of response people have been getting from BMW on their i3 or i8s with questions and issues. For an innovation division, where they are showing their "future vision" and trying to build a brand, I am a little taken aback that it seems BMW sometimes comes across as some of the posters here. I haven't had any such experience yet, but I also haven't had any mechanical or repair issues on the i cars (only have been an i brand owner for 3 months or so).

I can understand if there is a long wait for the BEV drive train parts. Why even an i3 bumper, which BTW is designed to be sacrifice and replaced when need, also need to be shipped from Germany and 8 week wait? What so special about an EV bumper ?

Blue20 said:
epirali said:
WoodlandHills said:

I can understand if there is a long wait for the BEV drive train parts. Why even an i3 bumper, which BTW is designed to be sacrifice and replaced when need, also need to be shipped from Germany and 8 week wait? What so special about an EV bumper ?

Again please understand I am not saying it's ok. But I am assuming the parts for i3 are unique to the car and probably are not kept in stock in quantity. I think anyone who has had a low volume car is used to long waits for parts because of this, but obviously this is not ok for a car striving for mass market.

It’s sort of funny - we all bought the car knowing very little about electric cars or in fact, all the faults of the I3. I mean "what the hell" BMW built it - it’s got to be perfect right?

Well now that all us suckers bought I3’s, we get on forums like this one and little by little we (the public) do the research that BMW should have done before they released the car and what happens, we find all this crap wrong with it. However, few if any will admit any fault because that would be the self-admittance we made a mistake, and we just don't make mistakes right?

Don't feel bad that you spent $50,000 on a $30,000 car and they forgot to put range extender that works properly or a fuel tank that will allow you to venture out of town, or a car with little to no safety equipment like a $3.50 back-up camera that can save a life or blindside protection that could save an accident - even thought there are numerous other cars selling for half the price of the I3 and they give it to you as standard equipment. Well let me make sure I get this right - you can get the back-up camera if you get the self-parking upgrade - Ok BMW, that's what we all need here in the US, were all so damn lazy now, we won't even have to park our own cars anymore - can you even imagine two or three hundred of these goofy cars running around metropolitan area parking garages parking themselves?? This has to be a joke right?

If you don't mind looking like an idiot stopping every 45 minutes to fuel up or having a generator that won't generate then fine. I mean what the hell, why wouldn't a generator charge the battery - isn't that what generators do, even a $30K Chevy Volt can charge its own battery!

Here's a real pisser - should one day you find yourself using the extender and you run out of Gas - Don't worry about it - there is still plenty of gas in the tank but BMW won't let you use it because you're driving a US version. Yes, BMW manually shuts down our fuel pump after you use 1.9 gallons of fuel even though the tank holds and has 2.5 gallons, so when your wife and kids are stuck on the side of the road at night out of fuel - there is still over 1/2 gallon left in the tank! Hello!

Getting back to the thread topic - evidently BMW never let anyone with half a brain drive the I3 for a few days and report back to them, because the programming for the electric steering is broken, not right, and presents a real danger to the occupants. Yeah we all know you "Man-ly" guys can drive the car at 60 mph no problem, you’re all experts - but that's not the problem, the problem is called; driver over-reaction, you see it everyday to where a driver sees another car or deer coming at them and they lose control - the reason they lose control is because they no longer have the ability to "Steer" the car, because the first over-reaction was so great, the driver in most cases never regains control of the vehicle. The I3 might very well qualify to be the worst car for driver over-steering!

It's really simple logic used decades before BMW even knew what electric steering was; the faster you go, the less help you want from the steering assist because you don't turn the steering wheel lock to lock at 60 miles per hour, so you make it "LESS SENSITIVE" at 60 mph then at say 10 mph. This is the problem with the I3 the steering, it is equally as sensitive at 60 mph as it is a 6 mph - the good news is its fixable all they have to do is re-program the steering. However, since all the blockhead tech's assume that BMW does everything right to begin with - there is no fix. So the long and short is; we’re not only driving a vehicle full of bugs, we’re also driving one that is very dangerous! Please be careful!

Hi Idleup,

it seems that no reply (at least of me) in this thread, quickly moving towards a rant, does any good, for now we seem to be at the point were you are deciding what '[we,] all us suckers' should think and are on 'koolaid' if disagreeing. It is a pity that it doesn't lead to a meaningful discussion this way, where we perhaps could have discussed the fact that it is presumably not power assistance but mainly physics you feel at 60 mph, but will lead to reactions with even more words written in capitals.
It doesn't seem to help you much, me replying here, so I will refrain from further contributions. I'll bid you goodbye from the open roads thinking about the last quote on the last page of the last Whole Earth Catalogue.

Best regards, Steven

Oberalp.jpg

PS: had to edit twice to get the image working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back