Coding the i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MriLLesti3 said:
I have a 2015 Rex that I purchased as a CPO and tried coding the 2.4 gas tank but when I code the 3005 tnk_liter_rechts to mcv_rex_ohm_kl_rechts, it keeps reverting back to mcv_rex_ohm_kl_rechts, mcv_rex_ohm_kl_rechts_us_1607, anyone having this issue and is there a fix for this? Using esys pro with latest pdsz data files 59.1, need some help thanks guys.

same problem here. you are not alone

ad78 said:
why do you suggesting that 2017 model were coded for 2.4? i have the same issue and keeps reverting back.
mine is 2017 model and total empty when i put gas it stopped on 2.1G
See this link
http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4516&p=39170#p39170

x

Yeah it seems to revert back, on initial coding the gauge reads 82 miles full and then after driving in Rex mode the white bars do not appear to go down until it hits the us mark of 62 miles driving in comfort of course, which is really weird because I gassed up and same here only 2.1gallons refuel on empty supposedly. I don't understand what the issue is, I have the most updates psdz data files and I am using e sys pro. If someone can chime on the situation that would be great. At least I know I am not the only one, and oh one more thing, after letting the car sit for a while I got a p2610 code which I think was due to the coding for the tank capacity which I cleared and has not came back, fingers crossed.

Does anyone know where in e-sys i can code following settings for a 2014 i3 Rex:
* change the default distance (displayed bars) for the active cruise control
* change frunk button on key fobb to open the back trunk instead of the front trunk
* auto activate the active cruise control after the car came to a complete hold/stop. In the USA version, when using ACC and coming to a full stop (behind a car on a traffic light) when the car in front of you starts again you have to manually tip on the accelerator to re-engage ACC. I think in the EU version the car begins driving itself once the car in front of you also takes off, is that correct?

I cant find the correct module settings. Much appreciated

The reason the earlier US delivered REx was limited to less than the max was so that the REx couldn't run the car further than the batteries by themselves. WIth the larger battery in the 2017 REx, it can use the whole gas tank and still pass that restriction (to satisfy some CARB rules).

I thought to share some Newbie advice and common settings. This is actually first time i changed coding settings in a car and everything worked out perfectly on my 2014 Rex. In general the coding settings are in different Modules/Functionality areas of the Car, see below.

Hardware I used:
  • Laptop running windows 7 or later
  • OBD2 ENET Cable http://www.ebay.com/itm/122087082218

Software I needed:
    • E-Sys_Setup_3_28_1_b46869.exe
    • ESysLauncherPremiumSetup_2.7.1_Build_135.msi
    • v.61.4_PSdZData_Lite.rar

Steps/Setup:
    • Install E-Sys, with all default settings
    • Extract PSdZdata into C:\data\psdzdata\
    • Run E-sys Launcher and select Car Series I001 (for i3)
    • That should open E-Sys, can be closed for now
    • Create a shortcut to E-sys Launcher, only use the Launcher to start E-sys not the regular E-sys starter

To start:
    1. Connect OBD2 ENET cable to laptop > then connect to OBD socket in i3
    2. Start the car, so eveything is on as you would now start driving, leave in P
    3. Start E-sys launcher, select Series I001 > E-Sys is opening
    4. Click Connect symbol on Top > select I001 series NOT I001_DIRECT. You should also see your VIN in that box (connection via VIN)
    5. You will get a notification is properly conencted
    6. click Read on top
    7. select the FAlist item, right-click > Activate FA, that will show details in the Vehicles Profile section of E-Sys
    8. In the right side of the Screen, click Read (ECU), that will show the modules in the SVT section of E-Sys
    9. To change/code setting in a Module, eg HU_NBT, open that folder, select the CAFD item with the green bubble next to it, right click >Read Codes
    10. The CAFD item has turned into a folder > open the folder > select the CAFD item in that folder, right click > Edit FDL
    11. Now you are looking at all the potential coding areas in that specific Module ( eg HU_NBT) of the Car
    12. See below list of line items and modules to make changes, go into the Ausgelesen folder, just right click into either top setting or the Werte setting
    13. Once you finished with all changes in a specific Module ( eg HU_NBT) click Save on top and left green arrow back to step out of that specific module.
    14. To actually push your changes in that specific Module (eg HU_NBT) into the Car, select the CAFD item that you just modified (from step 10), right side of the window workspace click Code FDL, that will upload the changes into the car. You might see warning/error msg in the i3 Screen, they will go away after the restart
    15. Once upload confirmed click Disconnect in E-Sys, close the program, stop the car so everything shuts down, remove the OBD cable. Then restart the car and test you new functionality. Done and repeat above for other modules.

Here are the settings I have updated by Module and Line item

HU_NBT
Enable Hold-Mode for Range Extender
EV_MENU_AVAILABLE >in Ausgelesen Folder
set from: nicht_aktiv
set to: rex

Deactivate all legal disclaimers
LEGAL_DISCLAIMER_TIME>in Ausgelesen Folder
MACRO_CAM_LEGALDISCLAIMER >in Ausgelesen Folder
MACRO_NIVICAM_LDISCLAIMER] >in Ausgelesen Folder
set all 3 items from: Id_mit_timeout
set to: kein_ld

BKOMBI
Remove tank size limitation and use full tank capacity
TNK_VOLL_ANZEIGE >in Ausgelesen Folder
set from: 7_iter
set to: 8_liter
TNK_LITER_RECHTS >in Ausgelesen Folder
set from: mcv_rex_liter_kl_rechts_us
set to: Set to: mcv_rex_liter_kl_rechts
TNK_OHM_RECHTS >in Ausgelesen Folder
set from: mcv_rex_ohm_kl_rechts_us
set to: Set to: mcv_rex_ohm_kl_rechts

ACSM2
Deactivate all Seatbelt Reminder sounds and open door gong reminder
Initialwarnung
SeatBeltReminder_Fahrer
SeatBeltReminder_Beifahrer
SBR-Prewarning_Fahrer
SBR-Prewarning_Beifahrer
set all 4 items from: aktive
set to: nicht_aktiv

BDC_BODY
If you have keyless go and comfort closing option on your car. To close all windows and fold mirrors automatically up if the car is closed on the door handle or with the key fobb. Also folds mirrors down if door is opened or car unlocked
KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB
ASP_BEIKLAPPEN_BEI_KOMFORTSCHLIESSEN
ASP_AUSKLAPPEN_NACH_KOMFORTSCHLIESSEN
set all 3 items from: nicht_aktiv
set to: aktiv
Komfort_Schliessen
set from: wert_01
set to: wert_00

Change blinker interval / turn signal indicator from 3 blinks to 5 blinks
TIPPBLINKEN
set from: Tippblinken_dreimal
set to: Tippblinken_fuenfmal

Change Frunk button on key fobb to actually unlock the back trunk not front compartment. One button can have different actions depending how long you press the button. below will set trunk open on Short, mid and long press of the Frunk button on the key fobb
RC_DEFAULT_IDG_3RD_BUTTON_SHORT
RC_DEFAULT_IDG_3RD_BUTTON_MID
RC_DEFAULT_IDG_3RD_BUTTON_LONG
set all 3 items to Werte=02

SAS
If your car is equipped with active cruise control you can change the default distance when activating ACC, by default it shows 4 blocks (longest distance), below is reducing default to 1 block (shortest distance)
LDM_Abstandsstufe_init
set from: Stufe4
set to: Stufe2

I tried the following on a 2017 Rex,

ACSM2
Deactivate all Seatbelt Reminder sounds and open door gong reminder
Initialwarnung
SeatBeltReminder_Fahrer
SeatBeltReminder_Beifahrer
SBR-Prewarning_Fahrer
SBR-Prewarning_Beifahrer
set all 4 items from: aktive
set to: nicht_aktiv

The seat belt reminders went quiet, but the door open gong still keeps on annoying me. Does anybody have any other ideas on how to silence the door gong?

Rexi said:
(...)
* auto activate the active cruise control after the car came to a complete hold/stop. In the USA version, when using ACC and coming to a full stop (behind a car on a traffic light) when the car in front of you starts again you have to manually tip on the accelerator to re-engage ACC. I think in the EU version the car begins driving itself once the car in front of you also takes off, is that correct?
(...)

Hello
No it isn't correct.
I need to manually tip on the accelerator too on m'y french BEV from 2015!
Please note that if the car in front of you just stops for a very short time, then the i3 will begins driving itself.

Instead of tipping the accelerator you can simply toggle the speed adjuster up or down right as the car in front of you begins to move forward. Look MA no feet!!!

Out of interest, has anyone managed to code the "SET" button on the steering wheel to work as the newer "LIM" button on other BMWs and set a speed limit rather than full cruise control? It's possible on some other F series BMWs but I've not managed to get it to work on the i3; the car has the ability since it sets a limit when in Eco Pro modes, really frustrating that it doesn't make that functionality easily available to the end user.

Does anyone happen to know whether coding can be done while the car is charging?
And is there a way to keep the drive ready state from timing out? Thanks.

You can probably do it because the modules you code don't control the charging, but why risk even a remote chance of something going wrong?

imolazhp said:
KMP647 said:
question for you all with the USA rex who have coded for 2.4 gallons as I just had done.

I ran the tank dry til the rex died and filled up squeezing 2.3 gallons in the tank.

turned on the rex and began driving . the fuel range read 85 miles and stayed there for 20 miles. the fuel tank bars did not decline at all

all 4 fuel tank bars stayed full for 30 plus miles, then started to decline. I think something is missed in my coding because I am used to the fuel gauge being very sensitive.

heck 30 miles is almost a gallon of fuel and the gauge did not drop 1 mm ?

When I mentioned this on FB, someone said I didn't code the fuel gauge. I'm not sure if I did or didn't, but after a few tanks of REx, I think it adjusted on its own. Someone responded with some additional coding for the fuel gauge but I failed to screen shoot it and when I went back to look for it later I couldn't find it. So you might see if someone responds here with that coding and in the mean time see if the car adjusts on its own.

Congrats on the extra capacity!

I read on reddit that you have to change the TNK_VOLL_ANZEIGE to 12 (which is 9 liter) to get the gas guage to properly recognize 2.4 gallons. Has anyone tried this to get the gas guage to properly detect 2.4 gallons?

Tank Voll Anzeige in German literally translates to "Tank full value", so setting it to 9 liters [Manual coding of 12 in hex to convert to 18 decimal which is 9L] (2.4 gallons) makes sense.

Ref:
https://www.reddit.com/r/BMWi3/comments/63bjxd/getting_24_gallons/

I am rather new to BMW coding, but I have been working my way through some tweaks to my 2014 i3Rex (USA model) ....however I have run into some issues and I am hoping someone here can assist.

Two things that I think should be code-able I can't seem to figure out after much searching online.

First I really want my lane change directional to do 5 or so blinks instead of the normal 3...I don't really care what the onscreen menu on says but no matter what I have tried I get three blinks...my research says there should be a way to get 5 at least. But what to set and how to set it seems to vary depending on what I read...I have tried every variation I can think of still I get only 3....of note my I3 has all the latest software updates I think, and I use the expert mode with the BimmerCode app to make my changes.

Next I am not sure this is code-able but I would really like to find a way to get the car to stay active when I exit. Even if it normally shuts down if I could do some sequence that would keep it going.... My reason for this I occasionally drive longer distances and in very slow traffic...as a result even though I have coded the range extender so I can run it manually each time I stop to fill up or whatever the next time I enter the car I have to reset the range extender which then takes the current state as the hold point...often this is much lower as it has not been keeping up in the stop and go traffic (I think I just shuts down in this sort of condition until the auto kick in point)....hence my range keeps getting less and less and if I do ever get back on the road and out of traffic my range is limited since it did not in fact hold the state I originally wanted....basically if it could just keep it's state when I exit or if it could actually charge in stop and go traffic I would be set.

I have been playing with the Auto Stop/Start codes but to be honest I don't really know what those are supposed to do, if anything, on the i3.

I would dearly love to have some document that tells me what is really possible on the i3 and which settings would achieve certain functions...Is there anything that give a detailed description of what each coding parameter does and which one are available for each model? I have found a few things online but most don't cover much or talk about things in general but not specific for the i3 and some seem dated or just wrong.

TIA
Darren

macdarren said:
I am rather new to BMW coding, but I have been working my way through some tweaks to my 2014 i3Rex (USA model) ....however I have run into some issues and I am hoping someone here can assist.

Two things that I think should be code-able I can't seem to figure out after much searching online.

First I really want my lane change directional to do 5 or so blinks instead of the normal 3...I don't really care what the onscreen menu on says but no matter what I have tried I get three blinks...my research says there should be a way to get 5 at least. But what to set and how to set it seems to vary depending on what I read...I have tried every variation I can think of still I get only 3....of note my I3 has all the latest software updates I think, and I use the expert mode with the BimmerCode app to make my changes.

Next I am not sure this is code-able but I would really like to find a way to get the car to stay active when I exit. Even if it normally shuts down if I could do some sequence that would keep it going.... My reason for this I occasionally drive longer distances and in very slow traffic...as a result even though I have coded the range extender so I can run it manually each time I stop to fill up or whatever the next time I enter the car I have to reset the range extender which then takes the current state as the hold point...often this is much lower as it has not been keeping up in the stop and go traffic (I think I just shuts down in this sort of condition until the auto kick in point)....hence my range keeps getting less and less and if I do ever get back on the road and out of traffic my range is limited since it did not in fact hold the state I originally wanted....basically if it could just keep it's state when I exit or if it could actually charge in stop and go traffic I would be set.

I have been playing with the Auto Stop/Start codes but to be honest I don't really know what those are supposed to do, if anything, on the i3.

I would dearly love to have some document that tells me what is really possible on the i3 and which settings would achieve certain functions...Is there anything that give a detailed description of what each coding parameter does and which one are available for each model? I have found a few things online but most don't cover much or talk about things in general but not specific for the i3 and some seem dated or just wrong.

TIA
Darren

For the 5 blinks, the coding is as follow...

(Older Software Revisions)
3068 BLINKZYKLEN_ANZAHL_TIPP
Werte = # blinks-1 (ie. 4 blinks = werte=3)
(Post 4-2017) Shows 3 in iDrive menu but as long as no settings are changed will blink 5 times.
3069 PIA_DEFAULT_TIPPBLINKEN Teppblinken_fuenfmal (02)

for the keeping the car running, there is no way to do it via coding yet, but manually yes..see here . http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4570&start=10

For the 5 blinks, the coding is as follow...

(Older Software Revisions)
3068 BLINKZYKLEN_ANZAHL_TIPP
Werte = # blinks-1 (ie. 4 blinks = werte=3)
(Post 4-2017) Shows 3 in iDrive menu but as long as no settings are changed will Blink 5 times.
3069 PIA_DEFAULT_TIPPBLINKEN Teppblinken_fuenfmal (02)

I tried this through the bimmercode application and I did not get to put the 5 blinking. A week ago they updated the software at the dealership. someone help me?

Back