Coding the i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it possible to code the inital speed of the cruise control. I have the standert CC without ACC and it only wokrs up to 30 kph. Does anyone know the how to code this? Haven't found it until now

Picking up my i3 tomorrow. 2 yr. lease. It is supposed to be updated with the NOV 2015 release. Hoping to code it but haven't bought the cable, token or anything else yet. Thanks for all the resources. I'm sure I'll have questions.

help! I just coded my car to have the range extender gas tank size to full 9L but somehow through that process I lost the SOC indicator on the dash accessible through the BC button. Does anyone know how to get it back? thanks

First thing I tried was recode from the backup.. Didn't work though. I'm wondering if I'm not using the right psdz version?

jhu321 said:
First thing I tried was recode from the backup.. Didn't work though. I'm wondering if I'm not using the right psdz version?
Have you checked your iDrive settings, there's a setting in there you can set what the BC computer shows

r3zon8 said:
Which Windows OS is recommended to deploy a coding environment? XP/Win7/Win8?
I've never owned a Windows computer and would prefer not to start now, but my MacBook doesn't have sufficient free space for a Windows or emulator partition. Therefore, I'm considering buying an old, cheap, as small as possible Windows laptop including a Windows license so that I could install Windows on a Mac in the future. I would use this Windows laptop only for i3 coding. I understand that this laptop would need a functioning Ethernet port.

Will esys run under 64-bit Windows? Is there a good reason to avoid 64-bit Windows? Is there anything else that I should be considering when buying a used Windows laptop for i3 coding?

Art, I've tried parallels and ended up creating a Windows partition on my MacBook Pro. Rarely use it. Dell advertised today, a $350 laptop with Windows 10, hard disk, all the bells and whistles for <$400. Just buy a cheap laptop.

I have a cheap ($200) laptop that I've used successfully for coding with Windows 8.0, 8.1 and 10. Not sure if its running the 64-bit OS, but e-sys has run fine on each of the versions.

eneka said:
jhu321 said:
Have you checked your iDrive settings, there's a setting in there you can set what the BC computer shows

everything is enabled in my iDrive.... any other thoughts?

I have an i3 rex (early 2015) with the latest Nov 15 software.

I have E-SYS 3.26.1 installed, with a soft token, and it launches fine.
I have the obd/ethernet cable.

I'd like to gen an FSC code for updated maps. I've seen a few documents on doing this such as http://www.bmwesys.com/guides/How%20To%20Generate%20Navi%20Maps%20Update%20FSC%20Code%20with%20ESYS%20and%20Navi%20Toolkit.pdf but what I want to be very careful of at this point is that I only want to READ not WRITE .... they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, and I'd like to start with something safe-ish...

I've also seen something called EDIABAS mentioned which appears to be a reader only. For example http://blog.uobd2.net/3-steps-to-generate-bmw-cic-nbt-fsc-code/ . Would this be safer/work ok?

Any tips? When a doc such as the first one above says "connect via your vin", does that mean using the "FSC" icon in S-SYS and clicking "Enter VIN" and entering the full long vin number? In my "action" section I have no "store FSC" just check/write/update/upgrade/deactivate. Perhaps my software is older, newer?

Just read through all 26 pages and didn't see an answer for this...

Anyone here have the business (non tech package / professional) navigation and was able to successfully code video playback from the usb?

I've tried everything and am unable to get it to work. I can see an option to view video files but when I play them all I hear is sound.

I've coded AM radio, hold mode, etc. but video just does not want to work on my car.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

For some reason I can't read the coding data CAFD for both BDC_Body and HU_NBT. Therefore I can't edit those settings. I had no issues increasing tank volume and getting rid of the silly warning at startup but I really want hold SOC. Any thoughts on why this is? I have I001-16-03-502 firmware.

UtahMTB said:
For some reason I can't read the coding data CAFD for both BDC_Body and HU_NBT. Therefore I can't edit those settings. I had no issues increasing tank volume and getting rid of the silly warning at startup but I really want hold SOC. Any thoughts on why this is? I have I001-16-03-502 firmware.

You need new files to code, your car is on the March 2016 software update but your coding computer doesn't have the latest files to code that section. I typically delete everything and do a fresh install of the latest coding programs and files.

imolazhp said:
You need new files to code, your car is on the March 2016 software update but your coding computer doesn't have the latest files to code that section. I typically delete everything and do a fresh install of the latest coding programs and files.

That's what I figured, but v.58.1_PSdZData_Lite is the latest I could find... I think it only get's to the Nov update... how long till the new one shows up after an update is released?

UtahMTB said:
imolazhp said:

That's what I figured, but v.58.1_PSdZData_Lite is the latest I could find... I think it only get's to the Nov update... how long till the new one shows up after an update is released?

I had similar problems, and found out that there was a new "wrapper" program that can help you decode the CAFD files.
This is because BMW apparently removed any description from the CAFD files in newer car softwares.
The "wrapper" program is called E-says launcher (either Pro or Premium, can't remember the difference). There is a long thread here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807583
The links for download are a bit hard to find, but one post links to them:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9656212&postcount=412

Links posted here for redundancy:
E-Sys Launcher Premium:
https://mega.co.nz/#F!PV9lxa4J!wvP4wFcYZVF84JBfc__lAw

E-Sys Launcher Pro:
https://mega.co.nz/#F!7cNQXTpB!wY2kYWqmCbGk2BhW-SnZHQ

I've heard of dealers offering the ability to code the i3 in states other than California, whose EV policies are why restrictions such as utilizing 1.9 gallons of the 2.4 gallon tank were put into place. Would it seem normal to ask the dealer I'm purchasing my REX from to code it? It would save a lot of headache to be able to turn on the REX prematurely to prevent slowdowns on the highway especially as I'll be driving the vehicle ~ 130 miles home :shock:.

Back