Coding the i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi coding experts.

I am trying to code my i3 to enable REX hold but I've come across a roadblock. According to the beginners guide, once we navigate to the CAFD to the module we want, we are suppose to select “Read Coding Data”. I don't see that option--only see "Read DIF". And when I do select Read DIF, nothing happens. Anybody with expert coding knowledge please help? Thanks!

yowsa said:
Hi coding experts.

I am trying to code my i3 to enable REX hold but I've come across a roadblock. According to the beginners guide, once we navigate to the CAFD to the module we want, we are suppose to select “Read Coding Data”. I don't see that option--only see "Read DIF". And when I do select Read DIF, nothing happens. Anybody with expert coding knowledge please help? Thanks!

When you initially connected to the car (using the button in the top toolbar), did you use the I001 "_DIRECT" method, or the other choice? You should not use the choice that says "_DIRECT".

Also, are you clicking on the actual module name, or the CAFD file under the module name? Try selecting one of the modules (CAS, HU_NBT, etc).

yowsa said:
I figured it out. I wasn't in expert mode. DOH!
Had the same problem, The guide is unclear here. I figured it out by comparing included screen shots.

This is at the top of the list of coding parameters in the Word doc on the Facebook files page.

Re-Code for Enhanced Bluetooth
Change FA (VO) to Remove 6NH from VO & Add 6NS to VO
VO Code HU_ENTRY & CMB_MEDIA (or just HU-NBT)
Read FA(VO)→Activate FA(VO)→Read SVT→Right-Click ECU & Select Code
Now Proceed to code HU_ENTRY & CMB_MEDIA (or just HU_NBT) Modules … or re-code if coding was already present
What if anything does enhanced Bluetooth achieve?

I'm investigating how to turn on the Office menu in iDrive and wonder if this is related. I'd like to be able to read text messages on the navi screen. (My car has the Tech + Driving Assist Package, which includes the Navi Pro.)

Ok Coders, I have a coding question :)

Is it possible to default the driving mode to Eco Pro instead of Comfort?

My i3 is a BEV and the first part of every journey is a downhill section with a max speed of 90kmh followed by a gentle downhill incline all the way into town. With use of ECO Pro (or Pro Plus if weather is mild), my usage down the hill is negligible. Of course, on the way back the usage is a higher than normal. I'd get into coding or maybe find someone locally to do it if this was a possible code.

I33t said:
Ok Coders, I have a coding question :)

Is it possible to default the driving mode to Eco Pro instead of Comfort?

My i3 is a BEV and the first part of every journey is a downhill section with a max speed of 90kmh followed by a gentle downhill incline all the way into town. With use of ECO Pro (or Pro Plus if weather is mild), my usage down the hill is negligible. Of course, on the way back the usage is a higher than normal. I'd get into coding or maybe find someone locally to do it if this was a possible code.

No one has figured out how to do this yet, but I believe the preferred behavior would be to remember the last setting used.

websterize said:
This is at the top of the list of coding parameters in the Word doc on the Facebook files page.

Re-Code for Enhanced Bluetooth
Change FA (VO) to Remove 6NH from VO & Add 6NS to VO
VO Code HU_ENTRY & CMB_MEDIA (or just HU-NBT)
Read FA(VO)→Activate FA(VO)→Read SVT→Right-Click ECU & Select Code
Now Proceed to code HU_ENTRY & CMB_MEDIA (or just HU_NBT) Modules … or re-code if coding was already present
What if anything does enhanced Bluetooth achieve?
Apparently, nothing. This screenshot below appears to be the options code list in my i3, and 6NH isn't listed. So this coding doesn't apply to my i3.

i3optionsCodes.png

Yes, enhanced blutooth should allow the Office menu item to appear and show email on the screen. I've been very interested in doing this myself. I believe your car needs to have professional Nav so that it includes the electronics for this, which are then activated.

I'm in DC and work in Maryland, so let's se if we can get this working! I'll send you a pm.

You know, I think I'm resigned just to using Siri to read texts over the car's speakers, after I hear that honeydo buzz from the iPhone in the cup holder. The cost-benefit of coding BMW's implementation of Office to work in the i3 appears to favor a long push of the talk button on the steering wheel and keeping my eyes on the road.

One of the most annoying things in any car I drive is the need to reactivate / reset cruise control. I miss my Mazda very much where once you've turned cruise control it stayed turned on forever, no need to hit another button on every start.

Does any one know if it's possible to code my i3 so the cruise control stays on (or remembers last state)? I can't find it on my own. Good that I was able to code following distance to default to 1 bar, saves me another 3 clicks on every drive.

Has anyone succeeded in activating High Beam Assistant in the i3? With the KaFAS camera in the windshield, all the hardware should be in place.

344487.jpg

Without the HBA button on the steering-wheel stalk, some F10 drivers got it to work:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644297

Tomasz said:
One of the most annoying things in any car I drive is the need to reactivate / reset cruise control. I miss my Mazda very much where once you've turned cruise control it stayed turned on forever, no need to hit another button on every start.

Does any one know if it's possible to code my i3 so the cruise control stays on (or remembers last state)? I can't find it on my own. Good that I was able to code following distance to default to 1 bar, saves me another 3 clicks on every drive.
Every BMW I've driven (admittedly not a huge amount) work this way.

One thing that may help you understand is that very few things in the modern BMW that has a switch is actually a power switch. Even the headlight switch has just a few about 24g, thin wires going into it...and, it has a small circuit board. It is telling the computer to do something when you activate the switch. Most of the switches are also not 'latching', and are only momentary which triggers that little circuit board to send a message to tell the main computer to do what is required. Turning the car off, most of the info is lost and when it reboots, it looks at the switch position, in the case of the cruise control, does not see any inputs (none of the switches are latched to a certain position), and thus, initializes things off. Your mazda probably had a physical on/off slide or rocker switch, which either directly controlled the power, or was latched in a certain position to tell the car to turn the thing on. IOW, unless it goes into non-volatile memory, without any switch input, every time the car reboots upon starting, it goes to the defaults. Keeping the cruise control on is not one of the data points it saves in NVM, or at least that I have found.

jadnashuanh said:
Your mazda probably had a physical on/off slide or rocker switch, which either directly controlled the power, or was latched in a certain position to tell the car to turn the thing on. IOW, unless it goes into non-volatile memory, without any switch input, every time the car reboots upon starting, it goes to the defaults. Keeping the cruise control on is not one of the data points it saves in NVM, or at least that I have found.
The button on the Mazda was the same soft type button like every other on the steering wheel there. They just figured it is one of the things to store in NVM, while BMW (or their lawyers) think it's important to keep your left thumb excercised. It sounds like I'm nit picking but it's annoying to me - cruise control has enough fail safe features as is (namely automatic cancel on brake pedal press, need to hit set/resume to activate it, and now distance monitoring) to need yet another on/off switch. It's software algorithm, why can't it be armed all the time (it probably is anyway to monitor things) and activate on set press?

websterize said:
Has anyone succeeded in activating High Beam Assistant in the i3? With the KaFAS camera in the windshield, all the hardware should be in place.

344487.jpg

Without the HBA button on the steering-wheel stalk, some F10 drivers got it to work:

I spent a good bit of time trying to get this to work, with no luck yet.

After skimming the "07_I01 Driver Assistance Systems.pdf" (see the Facebook files page), I wonder if the High Beam Assistant codes aren't buried in the SAS module.

I'm away from the car until next week and will report if I find anything then.

Tomasz said:

Following up on that - since my i3 is in service right now I drive an X1 right now. And there is no on/off button for cruise control there. Only set, cancel and up/down. Which tells me that there should be a way to get that coded on i3.

websterize said:

344487.jpg

I don't think it would work since the "Adaptive headlights" on the i3 are not the type that are on other BMWs.

TMSsilent said:
Getting back to the subject at hand, does anybody have any info about the location of the coding registers for the delay in powering down the media system after the car is shut off? After I power down my i3, the media system takes about 6 or 8 minutes to shut down. I'd like to change that to immediate.

I found this :
CAF [HU_NBT]
3004 SYSTEM_EINSTELLUNGEN, 96
SLEEPDELAY_CLAMP30B_MIN # hex * 10 seconds

I set mine to a longer delay than default. Try setting to a small number

Back