Coding the i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like this!
From the i3 facebook page:

"Breaking News
1/9/2015 - It appears that coding is no longer possible with the latest i3 software update. It’s the update that restores full charging speed with the new KLE installed. PSdZDATA v54.3 does allow access to code it, but all descriptor text has been removed from the programming, making it impossible to know what each setting is. If you depend on coding features like the state of charge hold mode, they will no longer be available with the latest software update.
If there are any skilled programmers who can find a way around this, we’ll be very grateful!"

If there were fast chargers nearby, I'd pass on the KLE update and the factory recode, which would blow up all my settings. No thanks, my custom-coded i3 is fine as is. In fact, the next time it sees the dealer might be at turn-in, which is 22 months from now.

BMW4Me said:
Yes, enhanced blutooth should allow the Office menu item to appear and show email on the screen. I've been very interested in doing this myself. I believe your car needs to have professional Nav so that it includes the electronics for this, which are then activated.

I'm in DC and work in Maryland, so let's se if we can get this working! I'll send you a pm.

I'd be extremely happy if you found the solution to this, thanks in advance

Have an appt for my kle fix this tuesday, considering cancelling the appt to be able to get the coding to manually turn on rex. Worried though about warranty issues if i code and also dont get recall work done on kle. Not to mention avoiding dealer almost indefinitely for mandated oil changes & inspections?

The service screen in my BEV, which was manufactured 05/14, calls only for a brake-fluid flush and one other service to-do — in June 2016.

If I were in a Rex, wouldn't ignore the oil change. But I don't think the KLE update is a recall or mandatory while you're in the car. You might be able to put it off until lease turn-in, that is, if you're leasing.

If your KLE died, you'd get the new one and the current software update. Prior to that, I'd guess you could ignore any contacts from them. The REx probably has at least an annual service, the BEV calls for an annual inspection, but the only real service where something is expected to be done is at 2-years with the cabin air filter and the brake line flushing which applies to both types of i3. My guess at the one-year service, you'd probably get new wiper blades, if nothing else.

Hi all,

Apologies if this is off topic (I searched for "Coding") but this seemed like the best spot to post. Could someone point me in the right direction on where I could get assistance coding? I have all the recent software (Esys 3.2.6 and psdZdata 54.1) along with the tokenless launcher. I'm using a Macbook Pro to connect which requires a ethernet adapater so I'm wondering if that's my problem. But the issue is the "Connection via VIN" selection is greyed out for me so I can't proceed to connect. I don't know what to do next. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I believe you have to be in "expert" mode to make the connection. Along the left side of the application there are a a number of buttons. Choose Expert Mode (it might be defaulting to Comfort Mode).

i3atl said:
websterize said:
Has anyone succeeded in activating High Beam Assistant in the i3? With the KaFAS camera in the windshield, all the hardware should be in place.

344487.jpg

Without the HBA button on the steering-wheel stalk, some F10 drivers got it to work:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644297

I spent a good bit of time trying to get this to work, with no luck yet.
I made changes to the KAFAS and HU_NBT modules over the holiday weekend to no effect, apparently. The brights stayed on as various cars approached at night, and I needed to manually disengage the high beams.

I changed:

KAFAS2 Enable high-beam assistant* 3015 → FLA_ON_OFF FLA_off FLA_on
HU_NBT 3000 → HIGH_BEAM_ASSISTANT nicht_aktiv aktiv

There were two other changes

3050 → FLA_AUTO_AKTIV
3050 → FLA_ON_OFF

needed in the F10, but have not located them.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have the Esys in Expert mode and the Windows Firewall turned off but still no luck. So frustrated at this point I'd just be happy knowing what to try next. It sounds like it was fairly easy for most everyone else? Did anyone else experience issues not even being able to connect? Is it possible I have a bad cable or is it more likely linked to using a Mac running Parallels? Just trying to figure out if I should get a PC to try it or order another cable. My OCD won't let me be content until I can turn on my Rex manually and fill up a full 2.4 gallons :D

As always, much thanks to everyone on this forum for getting me this far.

ocraig1 said:
Is it possible I have a bad cable or is it more likely linked to using a Mac running Parallels? Just trying to figure out if I should get a PC to try it or order another cable.
All modern Intel-based Macs will boot Windows as well, so there's no need to buy a PC. If you install Windows in a separate partition and boot to Windows using Boot Camp, you would eliminate any problem that might be caused by the Parallels emulation.

ocraig1 said:
Is it possible I have a bad cable or is it more likely linked to using a Mac running Parallels? Just trying to figure out if I should get a PC to try it or order another cable. My OCD won't let me be content until I can turn on my Rex manually and fill up a full 2.4 gallons :D
I'm using Mac with VMWare Fusion with zero problems, one note - make sure the ethernet port in your parallels is set to bridge mode. Otherwise there is being NAT created between Parallels and Mac which breaks the communication. You need to see 'Limited internet connection' note in your windows, which means that there is proper cable connection between your i3 and Parallels, just no IP addresses are assigned since i3 does not run DHCP server :)

Tomasz said:
ocraig1 said:
Is it possible I have a bad cable or is it more likely linked to using a Mac running Parallels? Just trying to figure out if I should get a PC to try it or order another cable. My OCD won't let me be content until I can turn on my Rex manually and fill up a full 2.4 gallons :D
I'm using Mac with VMWare Fusion with zero problems, one note - make sure the ethernet port in your parallels is set to bridge mode. Otherwise there is being NAT created between Parallels and Mac which breaks the communication. You need to see 'Limited internet connection' note in your windows, which means that there is proper cable connection between your i3 and Parallels, just no IP addresses are assigned since i3 does not run DHCP server :)

Holy cow! Thank you @Tomasz!
That was it exactly. Once I set it to bridge mode I connected and was able to code away. Now I can turn on the Rex, fill up 2.4 gallons, and not have a legal disclaimer nag screen :)

Next mission: Figure out how to software enable SiriusXM in my Mega.

Regarding enabling highbeam assist, it appears to be possible with LED headlights on the F30, but I think these are the adaptive lights (side-to-side) and the i3's headlights don't do this. Post 48 is intriguing:

" … removing 5AP and 8S4 actually do "enable" all of the intelligent high beam features as a couple others also confirmed upthread. I didn't have to "re-code" high beam assist back on after VO coding FRM. I also eyeballed several active high beam features after Step 3 and it was very evident that I now have a slew of new settings that are all enabled I did not have before."

It's an 11-page thread, and I stopped short. I'm not brave enough to try this yet. :)

websterize said:
Regarding enabling highbeam assist, it appears to be possible with LED headlights on the F30, but I think these are the adaptive lights (side-to-side) and the i3's headlights don't do this. Post 48 is intriguing:

" … removing 5AP and 8S4 actually do "enable" all of the intelligent high beam features as a couple others also confirmed upthread. I didn't have to "re-code" high beam assist back on after VO coding FRM. I also eyeballed several active high beam features after Step 3 and it was very evident that I now have a slew of new settings that are all enabled I did not have before."

It's an 11-page thread, and I stopped short. I'm not brave enough to try this yet. :)

I've tried removing 8S4 (haven't seen 5AP on an i3 yet). Even with all the other relevant settings enabled, it didn't make any change to the behavior of the lights.

Would love for someone to figure this out, though.

Back