I am probably going to pass on the i3...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sranger

I have really been thinking about the BMW i3 a lot lately. First, I have to say that I really like the i3 and think it is an excellent design. However, I know that the BEV model does not have enough range to suit my daily driving. I have to keep a milage log and about twice a week I exceed 100 miles in a day with no easy way to charge. So that puts me in the model with the REx. It is frustrating in that I only need an extra 5-20 miles on those days so I believe that the REx would handle the extra miles but because of a complete lack of info from BMW I honestly do not know for sure.

The problem is that I just don't want an ICE engine in my electric car. I don't want to have to deal with oil changes, air filters, etc... I do not really want to go to gas stations even if it is a short two gallon fill up. The REx just takes away much of what I love about electric vehicles. Also I am quite frustrated in that BMW will not simple say one way or another how the REx can be used and how it can't be used. Would me using it a couple times a week for an extra 20 miles be an issue or not? I know Tom has tried his best to find the answers for us, but the ONLY official word from BMW is that "it is not for daily use". Will it wear the engine out too fast if you use it for a few extra miles every day? Will it make a long trip if you keep putting gas in it? Will it hold 70 mph on a roughly level road and keep the battery at 5%? I think it will, but I want an official answer to these questions BEFORE I agreed to buy a $45-50k car...

I also can't stand the fact that CARB rules won't let people in the US have some control over when to engage the REx. It is not BMW's fault, but it is still irritating.

Also I can't stand the material around the dash and in the door panels. It looks like something you would insulate a trunk with and then cover with carpet so it does not look so bad. It is not something that should be visible in a $40-50k car. I guess it is a petty issue, but it is rather in you face on the dash all of the time and you constantly would have to answer the "what happened to your dash question" every time a new person gets in the car. It is unnecessarily and in you face ECO in my opinion. (as if driving an EV is not ECO enough in the first place)

And then there is the seating materials. I prefer leather, but hate dark colors here in the sun belt. Dark seats in the sun can give you a nasty burn with shorts on in the summer. You have to use a sun shade or towel here in the south with dark seats and I just don't like that aggravation. I would have to get the Giga trim as a result. Now it is only partial leather and mostly white wool. White cloth in a car? Does anyone see any reason why white cloth might not be the best color choice in a car? If they made a full leather option the color of the leather inserts in the Giga trim it would be ideal in my opinion. I could live with the white Giga seats, but not the trunk insulation looking dash surround and door panels.

So, I have more or less decided to pass on the i3. I am going to get A Tesla Model S or wait a couple of years for the Model X. They are stupidly more expensive and makes no practical sense, but they do easily cover 100% of my daily driving needs and qualifies for an extra $5000 state tax credit that the i3 with the REx does not. And I can configure one with the colors and materials that I like. I will probably get a lightly equipped 60KWh Model S with a realistic 140-180 mile range. That will easily cover 100% of my daily driving on electricity an even most short out of town trips like to my mom's lake house that is 70 miles away without having to worry about charging.

I think you guys and gals are going to love the i3. It is a great car. It is just not what I really want in my next car. I do hope that BMW sells all they can make and I think that they will...

Hi Jeff,

sorry to see you jump ship, being the EV pioneer you are. But if it doesn't suit your needs or taste...

PS: kudos for the Thing.
Greetings from NL, Steven

Sranger said:
I think you guys and gals are going to love the i3. It is a great car. It is just not what I really want in my next car. I do hope that BMW sells all they can make and I think that they will...
Its your choice, but I have heard that the 2015 version of i3 will be delievered in more colour options both inside and out. The reason for the few options is limitations in the production facilities.

You can off course wait for the i5, planned launch in 2015 - Rumours are not clear - but include up to double battery capasity to i3, up to two 170Hp drive units (front and rear) and an optinal petrol charge unit (rex)
BMWi5-610x406.jpg

Sranger said:
Also I am quite frustrated in that BMW will not simple say one way or another how the REx can be used and how it can't be used. Would me using it a couple times a week for an extra 20 miles be an issue or not? I know Tom has tried his best to find the answers for us, but the ONLY official word from BMW is that "it is not for daily use". Will it wear the engine out too fast if you use it for a few extra miles every day? Will it make a long trip if you keep putting gas in it? Will it hold 70 mph on a roughly level road and keep the battery at 5%? I think it will, but I want an official answer to these questions BEFORE I agreed to buy a $45-50k car...
bmwi3mnl

The REx is one of my main hangups as well, and I can relate to what you said. Personally, I'm confident that the REx will be nearly perfect in the scenarios you described. I was curious and inquired about the "not for daily use" statement at a private event, and without wanting to put words into someone's mouth, let's just say that I found the answer very satisfactory. The only remaining question for me is the performance of the REx in hilly terrain, since the battery needs to be depleted to 5% first, and there is not much energy left to augment the REx at that point. It would be great if BMW found a few capable hands to test drive the US version, and share the driving impressions with the rest of us. I think that would go a long way to dispel any myths and doubts. I don't have any information on this, but I suspect that the REx will be largely maintenance free. I don't recall what the maintenance window was for the engine the Volt uses, but it's not what one would expect from the past. Besides, the REx would accumulate very few miles each year.

viut said:
Sranger said:
Its your choice, but I have heard that the 2015 version of i3 will be delievered in more colour options both inside and out. The reason for the few options is limitations in the production facilities.

You can off course wait for the i5, planned launch in 2015 - Rumours are not clear - but include up to double battery capasity to i3, up to two 170Hp drive units (front and rear) and an optinal petrol charge unit (rex)
BMWi5-610x406.jpg

There is no chance the i5 will launch in 2015. It hasn't even been approved for production yet. I'd say the earliest possible availability for an i5 (if they make it) will be late 2016 to early 2017. No way BMW cannibalizes i3 sales with another BEV for at least two years from the US i3 launch.

Sranger said:
The problem is that I just don't want an ICE engine in my electric car. I don't want to have to deal with oil changes, air filters, etc... I do not really want to go to gas stations even if it is a short two gallon fill up. The REx just takes away much of what I love about electric vehicles. Also I am quite frustrated in that BMW will not simple say one way or another how the REx can be used and how it can't be used. Would me using it a couple times a week for an extra 20 miles be an issue or not? I know Tom has tried his best to find the answers for us, but the ONLY official word from BMW is that "it is not for daily use". Will it wear the engine out too fast if you use it for a few extra miles every day? Will it make a long trip if you keep putting gas in it? Will it hold 70 mph on a roughly level road and keep the battery at 5%? I think it will, but I want an official answer to these questions BEFORE I agreed to buy a $45-50k car...

You'll love the Model S for sure but let me clear up a little about the REx. It's really difficult to say "one way or the other how the REx can and can't be used", because life isn't one way or the other if you know what I mean. There are thousands of different situations you could face, not one or the other. I may never encounter a situation where the REx can't keep up with the cars demand but you may. Can it drive up a 5% grade for 30 miles with four passengers and 200lbs of gear in the back. No. But I know I've never needed to do that in my life with any car but you may.

The range extender can be used daily if you wanted to. If you buy the motorcycle that uses the motor they don't tell you you can't use it daily, and the motor is under less stress as a generator and runs at lower RPM most of the time. You can drive it at 70mph for as long as you want, even if the road has some hills. The range extender is capable of holding the charge at 5% on flat ground at 70mph for certain. The difficult thing trying to describe at what point can it not sustain the charge. Whether it can hold the charge depends on how fast you are driving, how much weight you are carrying, how steep of an incline and how long the climb is. There is no one easy way to tell you yes or no for your specific situation and this will be a problem for BMW for sure. They will definitely put out some information in this, and likely videos but I know everyone is anxious to see it now.

I have talked to people that are driving them now and have taken them on long drives where the range extender had to run the last 50 or 60 miles of the trip and they say it worked perfectly, and the charge never dropped to a critically low level. This isn't going to be an easy to define. I hope BMW lets people take them for extended drives so they feel confident before they make a purchase. I'll continue to use my connections to get REx information and post it here. At some point I will have it, I just don't know when.

TomMoloughney said:
Sranger said:

You'll love the Model S for sure but let me clear up a little about the REx. It's really difficult to say "one way or the other how the REx can and can't be used", because life isn't one way or the other if you know what I mean. There are thousands of different situations you could face, not one or the other. I may never encounter a situation where the REx can't keep up with the cars demand but you may. Can it drive up a 5% grade for 30 miles with four passengers and 200lbs of gear in the back. No. But I know I've never needed to do that in my life with any car but you may.

The range extender can be used daily if you wanted to. If you buy the motorcycle that uses the motor they don't tell you you can't use it daily, and the motor is under less stress as a generator and runs at lower RPM most of the time. You can drive it at 70mph for as long as you want, even if the road has some hills. The range extender is capable of holding the charge at 5% on flat ground at 70mph for certain. The difficult thing trying to describe at what point can it not sustain the charge. Whether it can hold the charge depends on how fast you are driving, how much weight you are carrying, how steep of an incline and how long the climb is. There is no one easy way to tell you yes or no for your specific situation and this will be a problem for BMW for sure. They will definitely put out some information in this, and likely videos but I know everyone is anxious to see it now.

I have talked to people that are driving them now and have taken them on long drives where the range extender had to run the last 50 or 60 miles of the trip and they say it worked perfectly, and the charge never dropped to a critically low level. This isn't going to be an easy to define. I hope BMW lets people take them for extended drives so they feel confident before they make a purchase. I'll continue to use my connections to get REx information and post it here. At some point I will have it, I just don't know when.

Tom I do appreciat all you do to help people understand these new cars. I just wish BMW would make a statement like you just did. I understand the there will be limitations. I would think that they would want to put some parameters around the use of the REx. I personally think that it would in fact work extreamly well as my primary vehicle. I guess my reservations comes from an almost complete lack of information from BMW about how it, let's say, should be used...

Sranger said:
The problem is that I just don't want an ICE engine in my electric car. I don't want to have to deal with oil changes, air filters, etc... I do not really want to go to gas stations even if it is a short two gallon fill up. The REx just takes away much of what I love about electric vehicles.

I agree with this statement 100%! The entire reason I am going to get the i3 is because it is the first BEV that will make our commute (barely). We have been waiting 10 years for such a vehicle. If we had to add the REx to make it, I would be looking at a Tesla or waiting.

A few comments.

My understanding of the "not for daily use" is that in Europe BMW say someone needing to run the REx every day would be better off with a 320d ED or a 116d ED. Fuel economy with REx isn't very good an the range is limited. They aren't saying it can't be done. Just that BMW would rather see someone who drives 170 miles a day in a 320d.

Unlike the US, maintenance is not included with the purchase price of the car. Instead we have to add it on as an option. For the i3, the 4 year package is the same price for REx and pure EV. I'm not sure if that was an error or if the REx doesn't need much extra care.

Over 4 years of occasional use it might not need more than 2 oil changes. dunno -- I should have asked when I had the chance.

Sranger said:
Tom I do appreciat all you do to help people understand these new cars. I just wish BMW would make a statement like you just did. I understand the there will be limitations. I would think that they would want to put some parameters around the use of the REx. I personally think that it would in fact work extreamly well as my primary vehicle. I guess my reservations comes from an almost complete lack of information from BMW about how it, let's say, should be used...

I completely understand your position and I agree. I wish they would come out and thoroughly explain it too. It's coming is all I can say and I promise you the range extender can be used every day if you need it to - it is more than robust enough. I wouldn't consider spending nearly $4,000 for it if it wasn't good to use whenever and as frequently as I needed and it can. Sorry that's all I can offer but just wait a while and there will be validation.

TomMoloughney said:
I completely understand your position and I agree. I wish they would come out and thoroughly explain it too. It's coming is all I can say and I promise you the range extender can be used every day if you need it to - it is more than robust enough. I wouldn't consider spending nearly $4,000 for it if it wasn't good to use whenever and as frequently as I needed and it can. Sorry that's all I can offer but just wait a while and there will be validation.

Thanks Tom. I am sure that you are right. I think the REx is probably the best range assist currently on the market. It is light an compact...

Well,

It is official, I ordered the Model S. I just love the EV range it has. If the i3 could realistically do 150 miles on a charge, I would have picked it over the Model S. It is more comfortable to me and I like it's quirky looks...

I still think they should do something to cover up that ECO material around the dash and door panels on the Tera version. Call it full leather option or something like that...

I do sincerely hope that everyone here really enjoys their i3. I think they will be great EV's to own and very enjoyable...

Sranger said:
Well,

It is official, I ordered the Model S. I just love the EV range it has. If the i3 could realistically do 150 miles on a charge, I would have picked it over the Model S. It is more comfortable to me and I like it's quirky looks...

I still think they should do something to cover up that ECO material around the dash and door panels on the Tera version. Call it full leather option or something like that...

I do sincerely hope that everyone here really enjoys their i3. I think they will be great EV's to own and very enjoyable...

Well likewise for the model Sand congrats, I sincerely hope that you enjoy it. I hope you can pop by with drive reports when you have time.

Regards

Bill

Bunter said:
Sranger said:
Well,

Well likewise for the model Sand congrats, I sincerely hope that you enjoy it. I hope you can pop by with drive reports when you have time.

Regards

Bill

I'll lurk around. I am still quite taken with the design and engineering of the i3...

Yiiikes said:
The entire reason I am going to get the i3 is because it is the first BEV that will make our commute (barely).
I suggest caution.

I have a Plug-in Prius. Before production started, the electric range number quoted was 15 miles. EPA estimate is 11, and that's about what I see - in summer. During the winter, which here in Northern California means down in the 50's at night, my range drops about 10%. Probably would drop more in colder places. Hills, red lights and stop signs reduce range. And the range will decrease as the battery ages, but no one can really say how far.

So - if I had a daily commute that the i3 would "barely" make, I sure wouldn't depend on it without the REx.

You definitely have me thinking Toolworker. I will look at it again. My wife's round trip is 84 miles.

I was originally on the list for a LEAF when they first came out when they were throwing around a number like a 100 mile range but they disqualified us because of our commute. We have been waiting since then for an EV that would make the trip.

Thanks,

See, you're a perfect candidate for the REx. You might never use the engine, or you might use it for 20 or 30 miles a week. Either way, you'd be driving 400+ electric miles a week that you drive now on gas, and no range worries.

Except ... in Huntington Beach, you probably want the HOV sticker, which the REx apparently won't get.

Well, maybe we haven't heard the last of that.

Yiiikes said:
My wife's round trip is 84 miles.

I was originally on the list for a LEAF when they first came out when they were throwing around a number like a 100 mile range but they disqualified us because of our commute. We have been waiting since then for an EV that would make the trip.

I'm convinced the i3 will have very similar range as the LEAF, as it has less slightly less battery yet slightly better efficiency. Being in a warm climate you don't have to worry about winter range, but 84 miles every day in LEAF is a reach, especially if any of those miles are at highway speeds. If you can't make it in a LEAF, I'd wager you can't make it in an i3.

I've a 65 mile commute which I can do easily in the ActiveE, but we have winter to deal with and I'm debating...no agonizing...over i3 BEV range, especially in the cold.

Good luck!

--Woof!

As I’ve noted in another post my city’s only BMW dealer is not going to be given the i3 line. I think it is because we have no government incentives in Manitoba. The 3 provinces that do have incentives are getting the i3 to sell.
That’s too bad for me, but at least now I know and can move on and take a serious look at the Leaf.

Definitely listen to folks with EV experience. My Volt was rated at 35 miles of range, and fortunately I am at or above that most days. However, my best and worst range numbers came within two weeks of each other. My best was 52 miles...my worst was exactly half that (26 miles)...on Christmas Day no less with 4 people in the car on a cold day with light snow.

Back