Larger Rex fuel tank?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boxbrownie

Just wondered, anyone seen or thought about this perhaps? If it were relatively straight forward and left you with at least an arm or a leg in change it might be an interesting project.

Mechanically, I assume it would be a direct swap with the non-US part, which they presumably would not ship to US but perhaps to a European distributor who would ship it here. I wonder if the U.S. software would deal with it elegantly (recognize it as larger tank) or at least not throw up a bunch of codes... I assume any more intrusive solution would make the car illegal/unsellable.

More realistically, I think I would just plan on extra stops or put a 2 gallon can in the front trunk if I knew I needed to drive a route where stopping for gas would be a hassle.

If you "need" a larger REX tank, get a Volt....

Boxbrownie said:
Just wondered, anyone seen or thought about this perhaps? If it were relatively straight forward and left you with at least an arm or a leg in change it might be an interesting project.

Is 1/2 gallon really worth the cost and software headaches? I am pissed at BMW for screwing the other 40 states that are not CARB
compliant and therefore get no benefit other than screwed, but really is 1/2 gallon worth the effort?

I am actually in the UK, it would be handy to have an extra 50 or 60 miles in the petrol tank for those very occasional long journeys.

I guess it's to early for any budding tuners/modders to have been interested yet.

BTW half a gallon (real gallons) is enough to get us to our destination rather than another fuel stop on the way! :)

It's my understanding that many of the F1 fuel tanks are bladders which wouldn't work on the i3 since it uses a pressurized fuel tank. Putting one further forward would put it into the crush zone, and not likely a great idea. Building one to fit in the available space may be tricky and likely expensive. A portable can lashed in the boot may be the best choice, if you are so inclined, but vapor leaks could be literally explosive if left in a closed car in the hot sun (do you get any of that in the UK :lol: ).

amateurish said:
Stick a 5l jerry can in the boot?
10L would be better ;-) You only need to visit petrol stations half as often.

I've got a 20L already which I use for a genny, but it's a bit large to want to carry around all the time.

However I'd still use it if I were going on a long road trip in the i3. Means not deviating out the way to buy fuel, queing at pumps in rush hour or paying motorway prices.

Boxbrownie said:
amateurish said:
Yeah, well......not a particularly elegant engineering solution, especially from the UK home of major F1 manufacturers eh? :D

Maybe not, but certainly fits with the great British tradition of bodging a quick cheap fix.

amateurish said:
Boxbrownie said:
amateurish said:
Yeah, well......not a particularly elegant engineering solution, especially from the UK home of major F1 manufacturers eh? :D

Maybe not, but certainly fits with the great British tradition of bodging a quick cheap fix.
Careful, you'll have the F1 boys knocking on your door.....They'll show how a titanium nut spinner works :D

Back