Put down a deposit today.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sranger

Called my local dealer and put a deposit on an i3. They are not yet taking official orders in the US but he did say I was 7th in line at this point.

Sranger said:
Called my local dealer and put a deposit on an i3. They are not yet taking official orders in the US but he did say I was 7th in line at this point.

Hi Jeff,
I live in Decatur, and have followed your Thing build with great interest. I've also been a follower of EVTV.me for a couple of years. Your Thing is terrific! (heh...sorry!)

Two things...(no, really, I'm sorry!...
1. EV Club of the South (https://www.facebook.com/groups/evclubsouth/). We meet at Manuel's Tavern in Little Five Points each month. Join us!
2. I am building a 1984 Westfalia EV. It's getting a slow rehab in my garage at the moment, so it's been drydocked as we work on some rust/bodywork/primer/paint. Still tons of work to do, but eventually we'll get around to removal of its 1.9L gas engine, clean up the engine bay as you did on your Thing. Placement of the batteries will pose the biggest obstacle. I've had a few e-mail exchanges with Jack Rickard about my goals. He thinks we can squeeze 80mi range out of it; he suggested dual J1772-protocol chargers to take advantage of the growing ubiquitousness of Level 2 chargers as that would give me faster charging (Terry Hershner is already breaking ground on this with his Zero motorbike: https://www.facebook.com/lifeoffthegrid?ref=stream).

Any advice you care to offer will be gladly accepted! Cheers!

-Bob K.

p.s. I, too, am interested in the little BMW i3. Only concern is the CCS charging protocol; there aren't any CCS stations in our neck of the woods...yet...

sTv0 said:
Hi Jeff,
I live in Decatur,

Welcome! We used to live just north of Emory (Lavista and Briarcliff) before moving to the UK.

Would you please add your location to your profile? Makes it easier to reply to a post since if we where you live.

About half of the people here are in the UK and the other half are in the US.

I plan to go to the EV Club south event when I can. I broke 1st gear in the trans last month and took the time to replace some worn steering parts. I have the trans back with a stronger fist gear and should be up and running again this weekend.

ace4, believe me, I know. And welcome to the forum!

As ultraturtle showed, the REx option effectively costs $9000 here in Georgia. Coming from a Chevy Volt, I have been back and forth on whether to get REx. I'm pressed for time, so delivery timeframe is a factor, but costing $9000 is big one too. If I go through on an i3 order, it'll likely be a pure electric.

Colorado has a $6,000 tax credit that applies equally to either version. Good thing, because we want a car that can make the 130-mile round trip to the Denver airport without recharging.

Back