REx qualifies for green sticker :(

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiburonh

This just in, from Eric Loveday at Inside EV's:

http://insideevs.com/breaking-bmw-i3-rex-gets-green-hov-sticker/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+InsideEvs+%28Inside+EVs%29

Unfortunately, by the time the first REx arrives in CA, there will be no green stickers left, given that 39,359 of the 40,000 limit have already been issued :(

Also, the REx has qualified for the $1,500 tax rebate from CA.

Unfortunately, this is $1,000 less than what the BEV version qualified for. And doubly unfortunately, there is currently no money left in the rebate pool anyway. :(

UPDATED 5/3--

Turned out Eric was wrong about the amount of the rebate -- as Tom M reported later, the REx has now qualified for the full California rebate of $2,500. Of course the problem still remains that the there is now no funding available for ANY rebates in California, but perhaps that will get rectified in the fall.

Now that DMV has pulled the plug on the program that let dealers apply for green stickers, the rate of issuance has slowed. At the current rate the 40,000th sticker will be issued around May 16.

AB2013, which would increase the number of green stickers to 85,000, was zooming through the Assembly until it stalled on the last vote due to an unrelated political issue. My guess is that it will make it through the Senate to the Governor, and probably become law, but not before the 40,000 limit is reached.

The rebate program is still accepting applications and expects those rebates to be funded this fall.

Inside EV's is confusing the requirements for a green sticker, which are written into the CA Vehicle Code, with the BEVx classification which has to do with the number of zero emission vehicle credits a manufacturer must earn or buy in order to continue to sell gas vehicles in California. The REx counts as a pure EV for the purposes of those credits. I don't think it was ever going to be eligible for the white sticker.

toolworker said:
Now that DMV has pulled the plug on the program that let dealers apply for green stickers, the rate of issuance has slowed. At the current rate the 40,000th sticker will be issued around May 16.

AB2013, which would increase the number of green stickers to 85,000, was zooming through the Assembly until it stalled on the last vote due to an unrelated political issue. My guess is that it will make it through the Senate to the Governor, and probably become law, but not before the 40,000 limit is reached.

The rebate program is still accepting applications and expects those rebates to be funded this fall.

Inside EV's is confusing the requirements for a green sticker, which are written into the CA Vehicle Code, with the BEVx classification which has to do with the number of zero emission vehicle credits a manufacturer must earn or buy in order to continue to sell gas vehicles in California. The REx counts as a pure EV for the purposes of those credits. I don't think it was ever going to be eligible for the white sticker.

Actually, CARB has already announced that they have indeed exhausted the 40,000 limit on the green stickers. See this link: http://insideevs.com/green-hov-stickers-now-exhausted-california/

Not true about the CVRP rebate. The i3 REx qualifies for the full $2,500 CVRP rebate:

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2014/05/breaking-bmw-i3-rex-gets-2500-cvrp.html

tiburonh said:
Unfortunately, by the time the first REx arrives in CA, there will be no green stickers left, given that 39,359 of the 40,000 limit have already been issued :(
But DMV's probably printing more right now.

AB2013, which would raise the limit to 85,000, cleared the Assembly yesterday, receiving well more than the required 2/3 vote. Apparently the political snafu that halted its sprint through the legislative process has been resolved. I'd be surprised if it doesn't pass and take effect in the next few months.

Back