Snagged a Test drive today...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sranger

I was able to test drive a BMW i3 Today at Global Imports in Atlanta. They had three of the i3's from the LA auto show there. The dealer said they will have the cars today and tomorrow if you want to get a ride here in Atlanta, GA. I would call as they were very busy. I went at 1:00pm and there were three people ahead of me waiting and abut 10 after that. I did have a 1:00pm appointment. ( I Think this car is going to sell very well....)

My first impression was that It was a little bigger on the inside than I expected. I am 6'-4" and found the car to be quite comfortable. The telescoping steering column had a lot of travel to is to really help out tall drivers. My wife is only 5'-2" and she also was able to find a comfortable driving position. Given our difference in size it is rare for us to find a car that makes both of us comfortable driving it. I have heard people complain about the head room in the rear. I easily had a 1-1/2" clearance between my head and the headliner. So if I fit, most people will fit. The leg and knee room is a little tight in the back. I put the drivers seat all the way back and I was still able to sit in the back with my knees on either side of the seat. Certainly not good for a trip of any length, but fine to go to lunch or something. I could move the seat up a little and still drive it comfortably and also have just enough room in the rear for my knees in a normal seating position. The boot was about what I expected, it is not large, but is a very convenient shape. It should easily hold a couple of over head size suit cases and a few other items. With the seats folded, there is quite a lot of room. More than I expected. I occasionally carry demo cases and they would fit well inside.

My only real grip with the car's interior is the exposed press fiber board matrial. I know it is eco friendly, but it looks a little tacky in a car of this price range. A matt finish solid black would look much better.

As for the looks, I thought it looked much better in person than in the pictures. I like the looks in the first place, but it really looked good in orange/black with the full leather seats in person. This is the trim that I will most likely order.

The handling was quite good. It has a very small and responsive steering wheel. I thought the car handled very well. I when around a few curves quickly and there was some uneven pavement in the road and it did not hop around as some auto journalists have claimed. If you push it harder it might do it, but you would have to be doing something fairly stupid in that case.

I drove it around a rough cobblestone circle and it's ride is taunt but compliant in my opinion. It bounced less than my F150 4x4 truck does when it is empty.

I did ask about how the REx can be used. He told me right now that there is no plan to offer two versions in the US. The current plan is to meet CARB in all states in that the REx cannot be manually activated and it will activate below 5% state of charge. However, the dealer was encouraging people to add a note to allow early activation of the REx in non-CARB states like GA. I added the suggestion to the Drive review, but who knows if anyone will pay any attention to that...

The wife and I were very impressed with the car. I will definitely get one next year as soon as I can. It looks like the REx versions are going to be delayed here in the US. They are estimating a mid summer delivery for a REx (assuming that you order in january when they first start accepting orders). Of course this is only the dealer's best guess as they did not have much more info than we do at this point...

Sorry I missed you, Sranger! I was there yesterday evening (looking only) and again this morning to test drive. I let the local EV community know and people have been heading over all day.

I also had a chance to test drive in Plano, Texas...
nothing more to add than many members already discribed it...
but the pick up and regnerative braking has to be expericenced...
fantastic car...

ChrisC said:
Sorry I missed you, Sranger! I was there yesterday evening (looking only) and again this morning to test drive. I let the local EV community know and people have been heading over all day.

Sorry I just missed you... You must have done a good job, it was packed...

I'm driving from St. Louis to Atlanta first thing tomorrow morning (Sunday) for a week-long engagement there, and I plan on stopping by Global Imports in the hopes that the i3's will be outside. Hopefully they haven't been loaded on a truck (or put inside) until Monday morning. It'll probably be my only chance to see one in person for quite some time, even if it's only from the outside looking in...

Sranger said:
And I'm sorry I just missed you, Sranger. I saw you pulling away in your sweet VW Thing conversion just after I showed up for our 1:30 appointment. Ditto on the good job ChrisC did getting the word out. The place remained packed for the test drives.

I got to drive the loop and sit as a passenger while my wife drove it. Incredible acceleration, handling, and comfort. We're getting one for sure.

Neither my wife nor I liked the distortion at the outer edge of the driver's side mirror. Otherwise, no negative comments.

ultraturtle said:
Sranger said:
And I'm sorry I just missed you, Sranger. I saw you pulling away in your sweet VW Thing conversion just after I showed up for our 1:30 appointment. Ditto on the good job ChrisC did getting the word out. The place remained packed for the test drives.

I got to drive the loop and sit as a passenger while my wife drove it. Incredible acceleration, handling, and comfort. We're getting one for sure.

Neither my wife nor I liked the distortion at the outer edge of the driver's side mirror. Otherwise, no negative comments.

Just so you know, the US i3's won't have that distorted edge to the side mirrors. These cars that are going around for test drives are European spec pre-production cars. The mirrors on them are for the European market, not the US. They haven't made any US production cars yet (other than a couple special units for demonstration) and won't till March so anything you see is a European spec vehicle.

TomMoloughney said:
Just so you know, the US i3's won't have that distorted edge to the side mirrors. These cars that are going around for test drives are European spec pre-production cars. The mirrors on them are for the European market, not the US. They haven't made any US production cars yet (other than a couple special units for demonstration) and won't till March so anything you see is a European spec vehicle.

Thanks for the info. There was a few fit and Finnish things wrong tin the car I drive, but it did suspect that it was a pre-production unit...

ultraturtle said:
Sranger said:

Sorry I missed you guys as well....

TomMoloughney said:
ultraturtle said:
Sranger said:

Just so you know, the US i3's won't have that distorted edge to the side mirrors.

The mirrors on the i3 have been adopted 1:1 from the 1 series vehicles which I have driven the past few years here in Holland. Other than having to get used to the very bright orange turn signal indicators on the edges I find the mirrors excellent and the rear area view provided large. The outer edge does not have a "distortion" but that portion is designed to minimise the dead spot when cars pass on the left.
When driving at home in the States I really miss not only that convex edge on the left but also that wide angle glass is only used on the right side mirror! (With that silly legal notification: "Objects appear smaller than they are" - Duh!)

TomMoloughney said:
Just so you know, the US i3's won't have that distorted edge to the side mirrors.
Thanks, Tom. Good to know. While I'm sure I would get used to it in a short time and find the greater blind-spot coverage of the expanded view mirror helpful, my wife's vertigo is easily triggered by any sort of visual distortion. I can't even get her to wear bifocal lenses.

Jkoeller said:
I'm driving from St. Louis to Atlanta first thing tomorrow morning (Sunday) for a week-long engagement there, and I plan on stopping by Global Imports in the hopes that the i3's will be outside. Hopefully they haven't been loaded on a truck (or put inside) until Monday morning.

When I talked to them on Thursday night, the plan was for the i3's to be loaded up and taken away sometime on Saturday. Since that dealer is closed on Sunday, I doubt that the cars will still be there (other dealers are clamoring for them obviously) and I certainly doubt they would leave them outside, unsecured. So sorry :)

Back