Successfully added Traffic Jam Assistant to US model -- interested in other people's experience with TJA

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyCakes

Let me say at the outset that I know that I am responsible for driving the car, must maintain full attention at all times, etc. Please no replies about that!

Having said that, I am one week into using TJA, which I got from PremiumRetrofit and they did the install remotely.

I like to know people's experience with TJA, specifically at low speeds. Have you ever run into a situation where you felt TJA led you into trouble? Not asking about higher speeds or sharp turns, I know it has limitations in those situations.

Rather, in rush hour traffic, for example, moving relatively slowly (5 MPH to 20 MPH), are there situations where it caused you concern?

Having said that, I am one week into using TJA, which I got from PremiumRetrofit and they did the install remotely.
How did that work? Did your car already have the necessary hardware -- the hands-on-wheel detector or whatever it's called?

No, that's part of the PremiumRetro kit. Remove two screws, add their tiny adaptor in-line (no cutting of any wires) and UR good to go. No requirement that you keep your hand on the wheel.

Let me say at the outset that I know that I am responsible for driving the car, must maintain full attention at all times, etc. Please no replies about that!

I like to know people's experience with TJA, specifically at low speeds. Have you ever run into a situation where you felt TJA led you into trouble? Not asking about higher speeds or sharp turns, I know it has limitations in those situations.

Rather, in rush hour traffic, for example, moving relatively slowly (5 MPH to 20 MPH), are there situations where it caused you concern?
Could you link the site where you ordered, Please?

What are the prerequisites for your eye three in order for this to work? I thought I read somewhere that you need both the ACC and the software that lets you back up hands-free in parallel park. Is this correct? And once they are done programming, do all the warning, lights and everything stay off? I have a 20 1983S that has the back up camera and sensors and the ACC, but it does not have the parallel park software. I wonder if that can be added to just by programming? Or is there other hardware it is missing?

I have been using TJA (www.Quidzel.com) for 5 years. I installed it and did all Esys programming myself. The module just simulates that you are holding the steering wheel. The rest is programming. It works flawlessly. Except it will follow a car taking an exit on the motorway. Something to watch out for.
It will only work with cars that have a Kafas camera for active cruise control. Some I3s only have a rain sensor instead which don’t have ACC.

Last edited:
I contacted them and ....

The price is 250 USD including shipping, obd-enet module and remote coding service.

....now I'm deciding whether to do it or not, probably will.

What are the prerequisites for your eye three in order for this to work? I thought I read somewhere that you need both the ACC and the software that lets you back up hands-free in parallel park. Is this correct? And once they are done programming, do all the warning, lights and everything stay off? I have a 20 1983S that has the back up camera and sensors and the ACC, but it does not have the parallel park software. I wonder if that can be added to just by programming? Or is there other hardware it is missing?

You send them your VIN before ordering and they determine whether your vehicle is compatible. I have ACC and the hands-free parallel parking -- not sure if that's required though.

Once programmed, all warning lights are off, the car seems like normal except the ACC "follow farther away" button becomes an on/off for the TJA. The ACC "follow closer" button now goes through all options with each press in a cycle (far, medium, close, far, medium, close).

I replaced the buttons on my steering wheel for TJA. I bought the TJA buttons on EBay and replaced the originals.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3253163...i6djiueRjS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Sweet! Nice look.

For anyone wondering, while that's an improved look, its not necessary. The original "follow further away" button just becomes the TJA button and the original "follow closer" button cycles through all options.

The eBay buttons are an improved look, but cost as the entire TJA unit!!

I contacted them and ....

The price is 250 USD including shipping, obd-enet module and remote coding service.

....now I'm deciding whether to do it or not, probably will.
Thank you for sharing! I am going to reach out to them. I have been missing this feature for the long rush hour drives in Los Angeles traffic.

Sweet! Nice look.

For anyone wondering, while that's an improved look, its not necessary. The original "follow further away" button just becomes the TJA button and the original "follow closer" button cycles through all options.

The eBay buttons are an improved look, but cost as the entire TJA unit!!
Here is the part number 61 31 931 3893

Back