Test drove a 2017 Rex w/extended range - question on Lease

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epirali

My lease on the 2015 i3 w/Rex is ending soon-ish and I am already looking for my next electric commuter car. So I finally test drove the 2017 extended range Rex i3. My impressions:

1) The car, whether because of weight of battery or tweak of suspension, is MUCH LESS bouncy then my i3. In fact if my i3 had been like this I would have actually drive the car more and liked it (I only have 11K over the last 1.5 years on it).

2) The steering and throttle response in comfort (whether due to new firmware or changes) is MUCH MORE sense. The car no longer changes lanes with the smallest steering input, and the throttle curve is what you would expect from comfort, response but not curved massively to the first 1/2 of travel.

All in all I like this version much more than mine. So I am trying to choose between i3 and Bolt. My question is does anyone have any experience on how BMW finance handles a lease if you are about to buy or lease another BMW? I can wait until the lease is over, but if I do I would probably switch to the Bolt. On the other hand if I could shift the lease to a new car or buy a new car without penalty then I may switch and stay with the i3.

I am working with dealer on this, but wanted to get input from others who may have done something similar. Thanks.

I checked recently and there was no pull forward option on the i3 leases at this time. It's only for certain models to ensure a supply of used cars that are in demand.

I'd hold off on the 2017 i3 lease. At least in the US there's no incentives, so it's a huge jump in monthly cost.

EDIT: I just checked bmwusa.com for the lease details on 2017 i3 BEV, and it's $279/mo with $4204 down (not including sales tax) for 36 months.

That's a monthly of ~$400, not including sales tax. That's a pretty miserable deal.

I am in a similar situation - my BEV lease ends in February and am looking for a replacement. If your current lease is through BMW Financial Services you should qualify for the $1k Loyalty Waiver - http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/loyaltywaiver.aspx - it has been on for at least several months now, I hope it stays on for the next few. Last month there was a $1k options allowance which is missing this month so deals are not great right now. Also, check whether your company participated in the BMW Corporate Sales offer - http://bmwgroupcorporatesalesoffers.com/ - it makes a significant dent in the monthly payments.

Hopefully the Chevy Bolt comes out real soon to give us an extra option and put some pressure on the salesmen.

Back