Video from 2013 showing how an i3 handles

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psquare

The Video below from 2013 shows how an i3 handles on even a wet surface. With recent claims about unsafe steering, I thought this might add a different perspective. I rarely drive slaloms on wet roads like this, but it's good to see that the car handles like that. I'd also have to add that my driving skills are probably inferior to those displayed.

Fast forward to 0:45 for the "slalom Moose" test (the one which the first version of the Merc A Class famously failed many years ago)

https://youtu.be/abVCUcH0p-4

I just want to make clear I am in no way claiming the car isn't capable of the handling shown, my issue is that a non scaling (based on speed) over sensitive steering is not something I ever want in case I have to make a sudden maneuver at speed. That kind of steering is great for parking, moving around at slow speeds in a city, but really should scale back (like most cars do) once the car gets moving.

My experience with the car in the rain ( I live in Seattle) is some what like the video, except, if/when the car loses grip with the road, then it slides with no control. If there is a crosswind more than ten miles an hour, on rain it can be a bit unnerving. I have had two wind gusts while driving on a frosty surface, and that was scary.
But on a dry surface at low speeds, its a fun little cart.

What speed,epirali?

Last post you reckoned it was dangerous at 30mph and you found it so bad you are selling it?

Once the car loses grip, you're a passenger, yep.

Maybe it's because I've driven so many different vehicles, and so many different kinds of vehicles over so many years, but I had no trouble adapting to the i3's steering at any speed up to 80 mph while passing. I like the way it handles.

The magic to any vehicle's handling is to be smooth - in both the throttle, the brakes, and the steering. That doesn't mean you can't do things fast, but it must be smooth in the process. Not everyone is adept at that, or in sensing the vehicle's capabilities so that you understand its limits.

I've paid special attention to the steering lately after all the trolling by one certain individual (only one, there are others that agreed but were not trolling) and have zero problems. The steering does not have any play at all and is very direct. At no speed does it feel unsafe to me.

spinball said:
The steering does not have any play at all and is very direct.

That's the problem with mine: there is no neutral point at straight ahead where the inevitable tiny inputs or movements can be dampened out. It's too direct when it needs to be a bit less sensitive. I have never had an episode where a correction led to another and another in a feedback loop (PIO) but it feels like it is on the edge of that happening at times. Mostly it means I have to constantly and actively steer the car at all times or else it wanders around in the lane at speed. This is not unsafe per se, but it is tiring and that can be dangerous.
I think these skinny high pressure tires need a bit more castor for better self-centering and the steering software needs to be tweaked to give a more pronounced "neutral zone" (for lack of a better term) at dead ahead. Or perhaps there are just production variations in the chassis geometry that make one car more stable than another..... Certainly the current electric steering systems have not been hailed as great leaps forwards in any recent BMW not just the i3.

You wouldn't like a Porsche then. Micro movements on the steering can be seen at the wheel.

I look for cars without a dead spot or neutral zone.

I33t said:
What speed,epirali?

Last post you reckoned it was dangerous at 30mph and you found it so bad you are selling it?

Please do take it personally if I ignore your questions and not take threads off topic.

epirali said:
I33t said:
What speed,epirali?

Please do take it personally if I ignore your questions and not take threads off topic.

It's a simple on topic question.

Doesn't reflect on me if you choose not to answer.

Why would I bother to take it personally?

Back