Why not make the Remote App available for WindowsPhone?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My I3 has arrived, still no WP app. Cmon BMW, this is really an easy problem for you to solve.

Come on...it would be nice if you could just access a secure webpage on your computer while at work and tell the car to get ready or to check the charging status (maybe so you could share the EVSE with some other co-worker)...or at home verses requiring either an Apple or Android device. Many phones have a browser capability, but not all of them have an app. There are still some places where phones are not allowed in the workplace, but you have access to a computer. ANd places where you may have a computer but no cellphone coverage for the app to be able to work.

:idea: Think you need to give up on Windows mobile app, some of the charging stations now use apps to access and only iphone or Android also.

I'm pretty sure that since 2006 I've had access to a web page for control of my 5 series remote functions.

I'll see if that still works - not used it for a while as I use the remote app to send addresses. Google Maps still allows sending of locations but you have to register your vehicle with them.

I'll post the link if it still works - but agree its unlikely they are going to do a Windows mobile version.

OK so it's under ConnectedDrive but the bad news is that it only allows transfer of locations and information (text) messages. You can set up all the other functions but they are an 'implied' activation by SmartPhone. I am sure you used to be able to set climate control from the browser but they seemed to have withdrawn that. I guess it's the concerns around security and therefore tying it into actual possession of the smart phone is not a bad security idea. 2 tokens.

BMW Activate Remote Services said:
With the Remote Services from BMW ConnectedDrive, you are able to control certain functions in your BMW from your smartphone. To do so, you first need to activate the Remote Services for your vehicle(s).

Following activation of the Remote Services and after a security question has been answered, you can also lock or unlock your vehicle by calling 020 300 25992.
Activate Remote Services for following vehicles:
All vehicles

Available services:

Flash headlights
Vehicle positioning
Remote door functions
Remote climate control

Well actually i can see my charging status on connected services webpage on my phone, but thats about it. Would be nice to have the other features aswell.

I hope this tweet will embed properly, but this is the reply I got

Code:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/Franky_B">@Franky_B</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/windowsphone">@windowsphone</a> Currently there’s no info about a possible release.</p>— BMW Group (@BMWGroup) <a href="https://twitter.com/BMWGroup/statuses/473457932525641728">June 2, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Argh, didn't work, anyhow, the short version, no release date.

So not Yes and not No either

:x

At least they could have released som api:s for their service so someone could make one third party if they won´t.

Cmon, this is 2014 and the windows 8 (8, 8,1 WP) eco system soon surpasses all others (if they already havent).

I work in software. The reason is that about 5% will be Windows Phone users. If they sell 100,000 i3s, they'll have 5,000 WP users.

Compare that to Android and iOS with something like 68.000 and 30,000 users, per hundred thousand.

It doesn't make economic sense to develop for windows. Remember it's not a cottage industry game that would be developed - but need to be an enterprise class app from BMW with robust security and extensive testing etc.

It would be cheaper to give away an new phone with every i3 rather than spend time developing an app for Windows. A ball park figure $300/day for techy types. Times 6 people for 6 months (4 devs 2 testers doing Agile without a PM). Approx 1000 man days. $300,000 Divide that by your 5,000 current i3 owners and its $600 per i3 windows phone user.

They could have gone the webapp route, and made it work on all phones via a browser, but then the interface isn't as pretty as a native app.

If they sell a million i3s, and WP market share hits 10% it might be worth it. (I'd still be worried about MS security)

theo said:
the windows 8 (8, 8,1 WP) eco system soon surpasses all others (if they already havent).

Not in smartphones they don't. You're dreaming!

I think it will come soon enough, but BMW is clearly catering to the main smartphone systems and WP is not in the race yet. May never be.

nowtta60 said:
I work in software. The reason is that about 5% will be Windows Phone users. If they sell 100,000 i3s, they'll have 5,000 WP users.

Compare that to Android and iOS with something like 68.000 and 30,000 users, per hundred thousand.

It doesn't make economic sense to develop for windows. Remember it's not a cottage industry game that would be developed - but need to be an enterprise class app from BMW with robust security and extensive testing etc.

It would be cheaper to give away an new phone with every i3 rather than spend time developing an app for Windows. A ball park figure $300/day for techy types. Times 6 people for 6 months (4 devs 2 testers doing Agile without a PM). Approx 1000 man days. $300,000 Divide that by your 5,000 current i3 owners and its $600 per i3 windows phone user.

They could have gone the webapp route, and made it work on all phones via a browser, but then the interface isn't as pretty as a native app.

If they sell a million i3s, and WP market share hits 10% it might be worth it. (I'd still be worried about MS security)

+1

I look at it this way...rather than digging out your phone (and there are still some workplaces where you can't use one!), almost everyone has a pc...it would be nice to be able to check the charging status and maybe then share that EVSE with a coworker, so they could also charge, or to precondition it before you leave. Then, assuming it could be a WIN based webpage, any phone with a browser could talk to the car and check status. IOW, it doesn't' have to be an app, it could just be an internet portal that you'd have to sign into probably using a SSL for security.

electricvirgin said:
nowtta60 said:

+1

sry, didnt bother to find original post, quoted quote.

Are you REALLY?
What you stated above would be true IF the app would be the sole Component.
Id say it would be far easier to develop an app like this for BMW than what you described.

If BMW want the Tech interested people (where everyone is working on PC, nothing else) to buy their car, they should now that this is a needed step. The other car manufacturers will take this step.

Windows is still king, and to develop an app for WP, Windows 8, 8,1 would be an easy task as the program itself would be minimalistic and connect to bmws connecteddrive servers. Built in security in Windows far surpasses the current Android security, so id say that would be no problem.

If developed in microsoft Visual studio, the cross WP, 8, 8.1 compilation would be two buttonclicks away, except for the different location of Controls/buttons for UI:s sake.

theo said:
electricvirgin said:
nowtta60 said:

+1

sry, didnt bother to find original post, quoted quote.

Are you REALLY?
What you stated above would be true IF the app would be the sole Component.
Id say it would be far easier to develop an app like this for BMW than what you described.

If BMW want the Tech interested people (where everyone is working on PC, nothing else) to buy their car, they should now that this is a needed step. The other car manufacturers will take this step.

Windows is still king, and to develop an app for WP, Windows 8, 8,1 would be an easy task as the program itself would be minimalistic and connect to bmws connecteddrive servers. Built in security in Windows far surpasses the current Android security, so id say that would be no problem.

If developed in microsoft Visual studio, the cross WP, 8, 8.1 compilation would be two buttonclicks away, except for the different location of Controls/buttons for UI:s sake.

I hate to say this but I think you missed the point of a smart phone app for the i3. Think of user stories...

I am in bed and want to switch on the heater whilst the car is tethered and before I get into the car. [Does the user want to go the the den, turn on a PC ... or lean over and pick up the phone from the bed side table]

I am out shopping and want to check if my car is charged at the public charging station yet. [Does the user want to go to a webcafe - or pull a phone from their pocket]

I am in the office, sat at a PC and want to check the current range of the car car as it' not on charge and a client just range for a meeting. Do I need to charge or can I make the trip on current SOC. [Can the user fire up a PC app as lot's of companies prevent software installs. Or do they just reach for the phone, which they use everywhere else enter pin and click the app].

I do agreed the backend stuff is already tested and working - ie, the cars API and the middlewear to route the messages to it. But GUI's are what kills consumer satisfaction. So building and testing and making sure the security isn't compromised is important to a global brand like BMW. So isn't going to be something they knock up in a couple of weeks.

Regalrdless of how easy an app is to knock up in Visual studio - saying windows is still king is missing the 99% of people who never run an app on a PC. They use it to get to Explorer/Firefox/chrome, google/youtube/facebook, hotmail/yahoo/gmail. Me included. The only apps I run on my PC are Skype, and minecraft ;-) And occasionally Libre Office.

(Declaration... My background was windows as client/server developer... but now gone into backend/cloud/web/whatever testing.
I run a mac, pc and virtual linux boxes as I have no loyalty and need to test on all platforms. Mac is my favourite as it feels nicest and takes less admin.)

@theo - one thing I didn't get from your post.. what does "Are you REALLY?" refer to.. there was no context.

I do agree with jadnashuanh though.. portals are much better. I don't lik ehaving to install apps on my phone and suffer the constant updates. I much prefer a decent html interface. I've even got rid of facebook of my phone just to stop annoying notifcations. Web login is just fine.

A lot of replies - mostly negative to windows phone... So let me be clear: Windows Phone (the new OS, not the old Windows Mobile) has surpassed even the market share of the iPhone in Italy (maybe even other places too).

Does BMW want to sell the i3 in Italy? Of course they do! The market there will dictate what happens with an app for WP! Once that happens, it's not difficult to have it available in English too.

I doubt BMW is going to take much notice of anything other than phone sales for their market information, and regardless of whether you are a died in the wool WP supporter or not, it doesn't look good:

Why Windows Phone cannot rebound

I still think BMW will eventually support WP but it's pretty obvious why they're not rushing it...

I wouldn't base my information on a site that is known to be anti Microsoft.

Besides, TopGear (and others) insist the i3 only works due to its tight integration with the iRemote app. Take that away and it's nowhere near as useful. So, in Italy, where most of the population is using Windows Phone, the i3 is not a great proposition right now, unless you agree to switch phones!

I33t said:
I doubt BMW is going to take much notice of anything other than phone sales for their market information, and regardless of whether you are a died in the wool WP supporter or not, it doesn't look good:

Why Windows Phone cannot rebound

I still think BMW will eventually support WP but it's pretty obvious why they're not rushing it...

There are other smart phones that can use a browser...doesn't even have to be a phone or a phone specific app. It would be nice if you could go to a secure, encrypted webpage and do what you want with the i3.

i3MK said:
I wouldn't base my information on a site that is known to be anti Microsoft.

Besides, TopGear (and others) insist the i3 only works due to its tight integration with the iRemote app. Take that away and it's nowhere near as useful. So, in Italy, where most of the population is using Windows Phone, the i3 is not a great proposition right now, unless you agree to switch phones!

I beg to disagree. Most of the smartphone using population in Italy is using Android:

http://www.statista.com/statistics/260422/market-share-held-by-smartphone-operating-systems-in-italy/

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/8186/20140302/ios-vs-android-windows-phone.htm

WP may have started outselling ios in italy during late 2013, but that doesn't mean "most of the population is using Windows Phone"

You're dreaming. If you want an i3 in Italy right now and you want the advantages of an iRemote app, just get a cheap Android phone that you can load WP on when the WP app comes out.

Latest posts

Back