Why not make the Remote App available for WindowsPhone?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I33t said:
i3MK said:
I wouldn't base my information on a site that is known to be anti Microsoft.

Besides, TopGear (and others) insist the i3 only works due to its tight integration with the iRemote app. Take that away and it's nowhere near as useful. So, in Italy, where most of the population is using Windows Phone, the i3 is not a great proposition right now, unless you agree to switch phones!

I beg to disagree. Most of the smartphone using population in Italy is using Android:

http://www.statista.com/statistics/260422/market-share-held-by-smartphone-operating-systems-in-italy/

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/8186/20140302/ios-vs-android-windows-phone.htm

WP may have started outselling ios in italy during late 2013, but that doesn't mean "most of the population is using Windows Phone"

You're dreaming. If you want an i3 in Italy right now and you want the advantages of an iRemote app, just get a cheap Android phone that you can load WP on when the WP app comes out.

Like i might have mentioned earlier, the people in the Tech business who really are interested in technology and not just bling are the ones who often have windows phones nowadays. Like Android was some year ago, and Palm Before that. Not like the Iphone crowd though, who mostly wants the bling bling and couldnt care less of true security or technological advantages.

Many who buy these i3s like myself are doing it as early adopters of a technology (and sometimes a car Company) which we root for
and are to a higher exctent probable to have the WP over an Iphone, maybee not over Android yet though.

And like above post was saying, the WP has been outselling the Iphone in some markets, and even if thats only the latest year, it still shows that a lot of customers could potentially be deferred from buying the car when the Tech of their choice (the predominant Tech in the World, Windows) isnt fully supported. I am bummed that there still seems to be no sign of an WP app OR for thats sake a Windows 8 app OR website that was secure which could handle most functions and not just check charge like today.

C´mon BMW, hurry up Before we all go Tesla instead =)

theo said:
I33t said:
http://www.wpcentral.com/benchmark-lumia-1520-and-iphone-5s-win

This is a forum for the i3, I think there are lots of forums available to discuss the merits of different phones.

Indeed.

However i have now ordered my i3 rex and hopefully by the time i recieve it in 2 months there will be a wp app!
Damm bmw if not!
This is my FIRST BMW (though i have driven most through 2 friends who are enthusiasts) so lets hope the quality is as high as many people want others (like me)to believe. :D

Hey congrats on your order... You'll love it yeah.

noakey said:
theo said:
I33t said:

This is a forum for the i3, I think there are lots of forums available to discuss the merits of different phones.

Indeed.

However i have now ordered my i3 rex and hopefully by the time i recieve it in 2 months there will be a wp app!
Damm bmw if not!
This is my FIRST BMW (though i have driven most through 2 friends who are enthusiasts) so lets hope the quality is as high as many people want others (like me)to believe. :D

Thanks, already doing that =)

I really like the I3 sofar (had it since mid july, got it one month Before estimated delivery)
And it has really saved me Money even though my "old" car drank > 0,5 L diesel / 10km (real measured by me) on my gas bill, this is far cheaper on day to day basis for me.

theo said:
theo said:
I33t said:

Indeed.

Damm bmw if not!

Thanks, already doing that =)

I really like the I3 sofar (had it since mid july, got it one month Before estimated delivery)
And it has really saved me Money even though my "old" car drank > 0,5 L diesel / 10km (real measured by me) on my gas bill, this is far cheaper on day to day basis for me.

It's great that my 56 mile commute costs just £1 in off peak power... In comparison to my ice which used ... unthinkable amounts of highly taxed petrol.

There doesn't appear to be a lot of local storage or processing on the iPhone app. I would have prioritized a HTML5 web app with layouts for desktop, tablet and phone users. It's crazy that you can't check charging status or start pre-conditioning from any web browser.

As an aside, why isn't there a way to start pre-conditioning from the key fob?

To precondition the car from the fob would require a SIM card for the fob as well as the one embedded in the car, with two subscriptions...possible, but pretty expensive when most people have a phone already. Now, I, too, haven't made the plunge to an iPhone or an Android one, but do have one that has a browser...I'd like to use that until it dies. I did spring for an Android tablet that I use at home to precondition before leaving (random times, retired, so no real schedule).

jadnashuanh said:
To precondition the car from the fob would require a SIM card for the fob as well as the one embedded in the car, with two subscriptions...possible, but pretty expensive when most people have a phone already. Now, I, too, haven't made the plunge to an iPhone or an Android one, but do have one that has a browser...I'd like to use that until it dies. I did spring for an Android tablet that I use at home to precondition before leaving (random times, retired, so no real schedule).

Umm. No. Its just another RF signal from the fob to the car. No cellular data involved. It's just like the remote start feature in lots of other ICE cars.

If I've forgotten to pre-condition as I walk toward car, giving the A/C a 30-60 second head start as I approach the car can be a big improvement in comfort. Plus, the direct RF signal is MUCH faster.

The remote's rf signal range is not likely to give anyone but a geriatric shuffling towards the car 30-60 seconds...the ideal thing would be to be able to do it from anywhere and give it at least a few minutes to work, and that would take a much bigger battery in the fob and a better antenna and likely, a sim card to talk to the network. Maybe you may have good enough range to do it from within the house, and then finish your cup of coffee, but that could just as easily be done with the app. If you're at home, you can pick up a cheap Android tablet for only a few bucks. Spend more if you think you might use it for other things, but I've seen some on clearance for in the $20-30 range...good enough if you have wifi coverage, and cheap.

The Chevy Volt and Ford Fusion Energi both allow preconditioning to be initiated via either the mobility apps or key fob (or website). I repeat: dumb that the BMW does not offer the same.

I assure you (from repeated personal experience with CA summers) that in the time it takes a person to walk across a large parking lot, load up the car, replace the cart in the cart coral, hop in the car, depress brake and hit "Start" is enough time to matter. It is a tangible benefit. Why deny that?

If you have the FOB and phone in your pocket, the FOB is much more convenient to use. Also, I have found the iOS app to be less than 100% reliable and is slower than the FOB 100% of the time.

You always seem to be an apologist for BMW. Good to be a fan, but bad to be a fanboy, IMHO.

I haven't tested the max range on the fob of the i3, but if it's in line with the other BMW I have and other cars, it's maybe 100' in ideal conditions. Android or Apple phone...nearly unlimited. Start it up while you're in the checkout line and getting ready to leave.

How about releasing that app now?

http://wmpoweruser.com/bmw-upgrading-to-5700-lumia-handsets/

theo said:
How about releasing that app now?

http://wmpoweruser.com/bmw-upgrading-to-5700-lumia-handsets/
Considering that the corporate phone ran Symbian, and there was no app for that, I'm not sure switching to Windows based phone OS will have a lot of pressure. One would hope, and a plain Windows based secure program available from say your laptop or desktop would be nice, too. I broke down and bought an Android device, replacing my Nokia, but still could see application for using my laptop on occasion to check things or set up preconditioning.

Have you read this thread... http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1959

Doesn't seem like you are missing much. LOL. Maybe once they sort out the app design they'll do a port to windows when it's working and more intuitive.

nowtta60 said:
Have you read this thread... http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1959

Doesn't seem like you are missing much. LOL. Maybe once they sort out the app design they'll do a port to windows when it's working and more intuitive.

Ouch! Didnt know that. This explains alot. seems bmw has a bunch of amateurs on the case. :D

They better sort it out though OR release the friggin APIs so one could make one self.

Got my i3 last week, love it, but no Windows Phone app. Very annoying! And I cannot find a way to access the app features from web interface. Please BMW make a WP app!

There are still people that think WP has any chance? :shock:

Seriously guys, even Microsoft puts all its first party software on Android/iOS, sometimes even before those same apps make it to WP!

And early adopter types have been on iOS for a while now. All the best apps are there first, just like how it was for Windows when it was still king (mobile use has passed desktop use overall)

spinball said:
There are still people that think WP has any chance? :shock:

Seriously guys, even Microsoft puts all its first party software on Android/iOS, sometimes even before those same apps make it to WP!

And early adopter types have been on iOS for a while now. All the best apps are there first, just like how it was for Windows when it was still king (mobile use has passed desktop use overall)

Of course WP has a chance. Its a far better OS for phones and the price/quality is unmatched. With that said, i sure hope W10 does what Microsoft seems to hope for their phone business.
I have one Iphone and a couple of Androids aswell, and in comparison (with the WPs i have in the same pricerange) they literally are crap.
I cant wrap my head around how some people think their Androids or Iphones are cutting edge. Both camps still has to release a better phone/camera than the Lumia 1020 released like 2 years ago!??

Anyhow, there might be a solution to WP/i3 owners, i havent tried it yet but i have high hopes..
Project Astoria. Its not final yet but soon.

Anyone tried?

http://wmpoweruser.com/used-project-astoria-dump-android-phone-college-forced-use-can/

The problem with WP is it is just not having an impact in the market.

chart_smartphone_market_share_100391495_orig.png

The news isn't good for Windows Phone

Windows Phone Market Share In The U.S. Drops Significantly

Android has the bottom of the market, and they are creaming it. WP can't get significantly into the bottom end or the top end.

It might be a 'far better OS' for phones (I doubt it) but if they can't have an impact in the market why would BMW bother?

Latest posts

Back