Increased U-Turnage in the i3...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eNate

Staff member
Just pondering, as I pulled out of a parallel parking space and simultaneously flipped an effortless U-turn and noticed the i3 nav struggling to process the unexpected change in direction...

I find I do a *lot* more U-turns in the i3 than in previous cars. Some legal, others questionable, all safely done of course! Similarly, many times I'm able to pull out of a parking space without even reversing, if the spaces next to me are open.

A U-turn tabulator built in to iDrive would be interesting. Fleet averages even more so.

I'm not the only one who finds this a fun bonus of driving a maneuverable car?

I've always driven small cars, so I'm used to good turning radii, but the i3 is in a whole different league, isn't it? I'm definitely making more U-turns than I've ever made before.

Many of the small cars these days are front-wheel drive. There's a limit on how far you can turn a wheel with a drive-shaft attached...given the design goal of the i3, as a city car, is probably one reason why they designed it as a rear-wheel drive vehicle.

Back