Used BMW i3 Inventory - Good or Bad news?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizrecurrent

It seems like yet again, BMW i3s are the most popular, all-electric used car in inventory in the US, with the 530e being the most popular hybrid. Both 2018 models. Do you take this as a good or a bad sign - are people trading in and getting new BMW EVs or are all the 2018 leases running out? Are people not buying out their leases? Meanwhile, used EV prices are soaring... has anyone had on-the-ground experience buying, selling, or trading their i3 in this market? re: https://www.recurrentauto.com/research/used-electric-vehicle-buying-report

I've been half contemplating selling the 2017 BEV and picking up a 2029, but inventories are thin and the retail value on mine seems lower than I anticipated, so I'm staying put .

Just bought a 2018 CPO i3s 94ah BEV with 13k miles, tech package, HK sound, and apple car play that was a lease turn in. Dealer had it priced 7k under kbb. Paint wasn't perfect but its gonna be a daily beater and the city building around the corner from me has free level 2 charging so that's a plus.

eNate said:
I've been half contemplating selling the 2017 BEV and picking up a 2029, but inventories are thin and the retail value on mine seems lower than I anticipated, so I'm staying put .

But if you could find a 2029 it would be a rare beast indeed! :D :D

Based on yearly sale figures for i3 in US currently we are probably getting the last big wave of lease returns. 2019s sold in decent numbers, but starting with 2020 model sales in US crashed while European sales started to hit higher levels.

but starting with 2020 model sales in US crashed while European sales started to hit higher levels.

Mainly caused by the shutdown of the BMW i3 manufacturing due to the pandemic which severely cut back on production numbers. Once restated, new production went first to the EU to meet both demand, and $$$ EU EV manufacturing aggregate fuel economy numbers. Inventory is now returning to the USA. One local Premier BMW Dealer with no new i3's available six months ago, now has five in inventory ready to go.

Mainly caused by the shutdown of the BMW i3 manufacturing due to the pandemic which severely cut back on production numbers. Once restated, new production went first to the EU to meet both demand, and $$$ EU EV manufacturing aggregate fuel economy numbers. Inventory is now returning to the USA. One local Premier BMW Dealer with no new i3's available six months ago, now has five in inventory ready to go.

This does seem a likely culprit...

Back