any solution for transporting bicycle in i3?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jabbahop

Will a bike fit in the book with a wheel(s) off? Is there a roof rack available? Is there a hitch accessory that I can attach a bike rack to?

Thanks for your help.

Well according to some sites on the internet there are roof bars available and there are bicycle racks to fit roof bars. Can’t find anything about tow bars yet as I think the manufacturers are waiting for towing data. As for the bike in the boot I guess it depends on the bike. There are bikes that will fit.

jabbahop said:
Will a bike fit in the book with a wheel(s) off? Is there a roof rack available? Is there a hitch accessory that I can attach a bike rack to?

Thanks for your help.

You shouldn't have trouble putting in inside the car with the front wheel off.
Your dealer will probably let you try using a BMW bike.

A rack will reduce your range!

I have discussed this with the dealer. You cannot fit a roof-rack as there are no rails or fixing points and you also cannot fit a tow bar. I don't know if you can hang the bikes off the rear end i.e. without a tow bar.

I've got a couple of test drives later this week and will bring my road bike to see if it fits in the back with seats down and front wheel off. Will take pics and post later this week - hopefully with a good fit!

A universal hatchback strap-on bike rack could possibly do the trick. As an avid mountain biker who goes out in rain or shine, I'm not keen on pulling a wheel off a muddy bike and sliding a muddy bike into the back of my i3, even if lined with heavy gauge plastic liner.

I think the best option is the SeaSucker system:
http://www.seasucker.com/product-category/bike-racks/
I have the Talon and is great.

I expect that carriage of bicycle(s) on the roof will cut range big time. A tailgate mounted carrier would have a similar but less severe effect. I emphasize that this is informed speculation on my part based on partial education in physics and amateur interest in aerodynamics.

I Test Drove the i3 again today and then asked if I could try and fit my road bike into the back with the seats down. The BMWNA people were very accommodating and helped me load it into the back. It fits with a bit of room to spare! Great News!

the Seasucker system looks good for muddy mountain bikes!

skyhpu.jpg

Here is a pic for comparison in my 335xi

34j7jhx.jpg

Lecram said:
I found this carrier: http://paulchensystem.net/products/en/bike-carrier/bmw/i3.html

Special made for the i3.

I wonder how much range this will reduce. Also, can you still open the trunk when the bike carrier is attached?

Currently I am sticking to loading the bike in the back with the seats down. Works well with sufficient room left.

The only main gripe is that it doesn't fit 2 bikes easily with out risk of damage to the bikes, although I haven't tried.

This might be an option...

Great pictures, thanks. It looks like the limiting factor for a road bike in the back is the seat post height, although I guess the bike could be tilted up just a bit instead of being laid flat, if necessary to fit the seat-to-rear-wheel-rim measurement. In any case it is at least as comfortable a fit as in my current-model 5-series BMW!

Drop the seat post? I thought you could get quick release friction levers on there? Save at least 4 inches on those pictures. Also I think the functional boot liner looks like a must?

I can't see why the two rear wheel wells come in so far. Can't get a golf bag across the back ( as my neighbour commented).

My bike fits into the boot (trunk) perfectly!

2014-05-24%2022.42.03.jpg

I think that the bike and car were made for each other.

In fact, I will need this next week for onward travel to the office when the i3 has its first visit to the BMW menders.

Thanks for the great pictures, DHP.

We've been looking into an i3. Our research provided the answer that BMW has no plans to offer a rack for the car. So we concluded that we'd carry one or two bikes in the back when needed. Our measurements confirmed that this would work, but your picture, well, is worth a thousand words.

One trick: we also carry one or two bikes in our VW Golf (fairly similar dimensions (the Golf is slightly larger) in back with the rear seat folded). We stow a black, folded, bed sheet in the back of the car. It's light and folds small, and any grease from the bikes doesn't show due to the color. If we need to carry two bikes, I spread the sheet out on top of the first bike and put the second bike on top. Not much padding but it seems to work to prevent scratches. The black sheet is also handy whenever you want to carry something dirty or dusty and want to keep the car clean. Easier to shake out and/or wash the sheet than the car.

Procarshop said:
BMW i3 function ceiling . The beautiful, yet lightweight ceiling function is used universally within and outside of the vehicle. The ceiling is used both as protection of the baggage or interior of the vehicle as well as a picnic blanket or pad outside the vehicle. To this end, it has two different sides: a fleece and a water-repellent side. With the help of Elastikbändchen it is just a few steps to attach to the headrests. Hidden incisions allow the simultaneous use of seat belts.

BMW's version of the black sheet...

https://www.procarshop.de/1874_BMW_i3_Funktionsdecke.html?filter_name=I3

51472348066a-500x500.jpg

Back