any solution for transporting bicycle in i3?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20140620_140714.jpg

I have an IceTrike Adventure, and it does fit in the back. I had the (optional) rack and side guards on it, and the side guards made it just a bit too tall to fit in, and, since I do not use them often, took them off. On my ICE, I carried it in a basket attached to a hitch (RightConnections harness with an Invisihitch).

Haven't looked enough to determine if a light duty hitch might fit, then that would open up more bike carriers rather than hanging it off the rear hatch.

has anyone found an equivalent to this rack in the US?

http://paulchensystem.net/products/en/bike-carrier/bmw/i3.html

looks like it is only available in Hamburg

Hi,

Found this in a recent article - looks like the perfect thing, but I cannot find any other information on it...

http://www.bikehugger.com/post/view/bmw-i3-at-the-usa-prochallenge

mabooker76 said:
Hi,

Found this in a recent article - looks like the perfect thing, but I cannot find any other information on it...

Hi mabooker76-

This also got posted on the i3 Facebook group. Here's the discussion that followed:

1st time ever an electric car is UCI race caravan...

LikeLike ·
22 people like this.

Rob Mugglestone Ah...so a bike rack *is* possible...now all we need to know is how, and where to get one...
Yesterday at 11:07am · Like · 2

Byron Dl Looks like they just fitted a thule on there. We'll put ours in the back.
Yesterday at 11:08am · Like

George Betak Nice!!
Yesterday at 11:09am · Like

Byron Dl Wouldn't overload the carbon roof, but that Thule connects to the gutters.
Yesterday at 11:16am · Like

Rob Mugglestone Don't think there are any gutters...
Yesterday at 11:17am · Like

Byron Dl Rob Mugglestone we don't have ours yet, so not sure what that's attached to, but finding out.
Yesterday at 11:27am · Like · 1

Tum Tunthatakas I'm interested to know how that rack connects. I want to be able to move two kayaks to the lake.
Yesterday at 12:04pm · Like

Don Parsons Byron Dl, would love to see closeup pictures of how they attached the bike rack to the roof!
Yesterday at 12:06pm · Like · 1

Byron Dl Zoom in. Seasucker cups and Thule trays.
Yesterday at 12:14pm · Like

Christopher Mirabile Byron Dl: do you have the original hi-res photo? Can you zoom & crop and post some close ups so we can figure out how this is attached?
Yesterday at 12:22pm · Like · 1

Don Parsons interesting - didn't know you could use seasucker mounts to attach to a conventional thule rack - I second Christopher Mirabile's comment - pciture quality isn't high enough to zoom in and see the seasucker mounts. Are there 3 or 4 seasucker mounts?
Yesterday at 12:36pm · Like

Sven Kolberg A word of warning regarding regarding roof load on the i3. The Norwegian car registration specifies the approved roof load to be 0 kg. Does BMW state anything about the weight on the CF roof panel?
Yesterday at 12:38pm · Like · 2

Byron Dl This is not an approved setup. All I have now is this photo. Shared here for the story about the bike race. Not as a recommendation.
Yesterday at 1:11pm · Edited · Like

Byron Dl @don @christopher. This was a hack for the race, but let me see what I can do. Also see above comment.
Yesterday at 1:40pm · Like · 1

Cindy Hatch Talbot I watched the stage today looking for the i3, but because Lexus was a bit sponsor they focused on their own models. I did see an interesting commercial claiming that Lexus had more hybrids on the road than any other brand. Are they able to claim all the Prius?
Yesterday at 4:06pm · Like · 1

Michael Hopwood I just got the sea sucker rack for my bikes. Looks like it will work well
Yesterday at 4:40pm · Like · 2

Christopher Mirabile Michael Hopwood: pictures please!!
Yesterday at 5:05pm · Like · 2

Byron Dl @michael DM me on that! For a story.
Yesterday at 5:16pm · Like

Michael Hopwood will be a couple of days. Travelling right now
Yesterday at 5:24pm · Like

Rob Hayden Must be nicer on the lungs slipstreaming that than Sky's Jag XF How long was the stage?
Yesterday at 5:32pm · Like · 1

Byron Dl Rob Hayden exactly...Vail TT & Boulder-Denver stages
Yesterday at 5:33pm · Like · 1

Alan Newman Cindy, Lexus claimed more models, not more units. Toyota has Prius, Prius C, Prius V, Prius plugin, Camry, Highlander, and Avalon hybrids; 7 total models. Lexus has CT, ES, RX, GS and LS; 5 total models. Lexus must count the four different Prius mod...See More
Yesterday at 9:23pm · Like

Cindy Hatch Talbot The commercial voice over says "Lexus hybrids make up 85% of all luxury hybrids on the road." Obviously I missed the qualifying "luxury." I guess they call this "creative license" but I call it stretching the truth!
17 hrs · Like · 1

Byron Dl Here's another shot of the i3 at the race https://twitter.com/SchneiderNA/status/503910998559182849

SchneiderElectric NA on Twitter: RT @TeamSmartStop: The @bmw i3 on the finishing circuits in...
twitter.com
RT @TeamSmartStop: The @bmw i3 on the finishing circuits in Denver for stage 7 of @USAProChallenge @SchneiderNA pic.twitter.com/PxLG77oPs0
14 hrs · Like · 1

Gonville said:
Procarshop said:
BMW i3 function ceiling . The beautiful, yet lightweight ceiling function is used universally within and outside of the vehicle. The ceiling is used both as protection of the baggage or interior of the vehicle as well as a picnic blanket or pad outside the vehicle. To this end, it has two different sides: a fleece and a water-repellent side. With the help of Elastikbändchen it is just a few steps to attach to the headrests. Hidden incisions allow the simultaneous use of seat belts.

BMW's version of the black sheet...

https://www.procarshop.de/1874_BMW_i3_Funktionsdecke.html?filter_name=I3

51472348066a-500x500.jpg

I have the Function cover, but it took a while to discern if it would do what I wanted: I have a Newfoundland dog and wool upholstery, so I needed a back seat cover. Concierge sent me the Accessory link; but only in passing does the BMW blurb mention that it has "holes that permit seatbelt usage!" Ergo, it fits over the seats as well, but don't tell anyone.

I ordered it and the parts guy and I wrestled with it and decided it wasn't the trim tailored fit, nor the protective heft of my 5 series cover, but I took it. It wasn't until I got home and removed our odd installation that I discovered that we had it in upside down! :?
Once flipped around, the seat belt holes matched up and the headrest belts, etc fell into place.

Another example of BMW marketing (faulty translation? lack of product info from designers?). I have already chastened them for their lack of ANY serious info on the DC Fast charge system and what it does/means for $700 (they showed a pic of the BMW/Bosche charge unit! without explanation.)

Live and learn (oh, and pay).

pastyboy said:
I have discussed this with the dealer. You cannot fit a roof-rack as there are no rails or fixing points and you also cannot fit a tow bar. I don't know if you can hang the bikes off the rear end i.e. without a tow bar.
That doesn't stop you fitting a roof system. My current ICE has no rails or mount points - but Thule do a system that grips the edge of the door openings. Got a 240 litre roof box on there. So although it might reduce range it could be better than hiring another car just for hoildays. Will take about 1 year before they bring anything out though.

What'd I'd really like is a towball - not to tow, just to stick my towball mounted bike rack on. Has all the electrics and carries 3 bikes and as it sits behind the car isn't such a drag. Three's a 3rd party system for Tesla which allows a rear mount bike carrier. Woudln't be suprised if they adapt it for i3.

BUMWA said:
Gonville said:
Procarshop said:
BMW i3 function ceiling . The beautiful, yet lightweight ceiling function is used universally within and outside of the vehicle. The ceiling is used both as protection of the baggage or interior of the vehicle as well as a picnic blanket or pad outside the vehicle. To this end, it has two different sides: a fleece and a water-repellent side. With the help of Elastikbändchen it is just a few steps to attach to the headrests. Hidden incisions allow the simultaneous use of seat belts.

BMW's version of the black sheet...

https://www.procarshop.de/1874_BMW_i3_Funktionsdecke.html?filter_name=I3

51472348066a-500x500.jpg
[/quote

I have the Function cover, but it took a while to discern if it would do what I wanted: I have a Newfoundland dog and wool upholstery, so I needed a back seat cover. Concierge sent me the Accessory link; but only in passing does the BMW blurb mention that it has "holes that permit seatbelt usage!" Ergo, it fits over the seats as well, but don't tell anyone.

I ordered it and the parts guy and I wrestled with it and decided it wasn't the trim tailored fit, nor the protective heft of my 5 series cover, but I took it. It wasn't until I got home and removed our odd installation that I discovered that we had it in upside down! :?
Once flipped around, the seat belt holes matched up and the headrest belts, etc fell into place.

Another example of BMW marketing (faulty translation? lack of product info from designers?). I have already chastened them for their lack of ANY serious info on the DC Fast charge system and what it does/means for $700 (they showed a pic of the BMW/Bosche charge unit! without explanation.)

Live and learn (oh, and pay).

Thanks Ray. This accessory is indeed depicted in a totally confusing manner on the BMW i3 accessories web page.
Could you please just clarify a bit further for me: if you attach it to the front of the back seats for your dogs (I've got two), does it also then continue up and over the back seats and cover the floor of the "trunk." OR is it an either/or thing --- you can use it to cover the front side of the back seats, or you can use it to cover the floor of the trunk, but not both at once? Sorry if I am being fuzzy here myself -- any further clarity you could lend to this would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

I carry my recumbent ICEtrike in my i3 all of the time and is one reason why I bought it (the car, not the trike!). It does fold, but there's a fair amount of room both in front and behind it once I've got it strapped down. I use the child seat latches in front and the D rings at the rear to 'lock' it down so it doesn't' move around. I do not think you'd get two bikes in there, though, but haven't tried it.

pastyboy said:
I have discussed this with the dealer. You cannot fit a roof-rack as there are no rails or fixing points and you also cannot fit a tow bar. I don't know if you can hang the bikes off the rear end i.e. without a tow bar.

There is a tow bar available in the USA, but it is, I believe, now, technically illegal to fit a tow bar in the UK, as, I have been informed, the car has not yet been approved for towing, and there is no "train weight" rating.

There was no tow bar option when I ordered my Z3, but, by the time I got it, there was an official BMW tow bracket.

This is a guess, but seems to follow from the pictures I've seen...the only solid structure where you might mount a towing bracket on an i3 is into the battery case. You would not want to do that! I have not personally tried to take it apart, so there may be a way, but I'm not sure I'd trust some other company to tell me if it were safe or not, and do not think BMW will pursue it (wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, though!).

I'm not sure I"d like one of those that uses clips and suction cups to hold a carrier in place, either. The vast majority of the rear panel is glass. The slightest scratch, especially on an edge, and tempered glass, while quite strong, will shatter.

Would it really be illegal to fit a tow bar to an i3 in the UK strictly for carrying a bike?

jadnashuanh said:
This is a guess, but seems to follow from the pictures I've seen...the only solid structure where you might mount a towing bracket on an i3 is into the battery case.

It has a very strong steel bumper in the back - the current hitch solutions either attach to this bar, or include a replacement bar that bolts up in place of the factory part. It's similar to hitch kits for other cars.

Back