Themass31

Ecotricity

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:05 pm

Does anyone know why none off the CCS fast chargers seem to work on the M1 north and A1
Craig
Craig
Evesham

BoMW

Re: Ecotricity

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:32 pm

Hi Craig, which ones do you mean?
I used the CCS at Grantham about 3 weeks ago and it worked ok. It was a station with the original on-screen menu so had not been updated.
I recall a software update at Leicester forest East, M1 southbound which rendered the station useless.
My i3, collected 02/05/14---44000 miles by 30/05/16
SOLD 05/03/17 :(

Themass31

Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:39 am

I leave the 42 to head north and when I look on the Eco site they are all red until you get to Darlington.
Craig
Evesham

Hengus

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:15 am

There is lots of discussion about this on the Speakev website. Eccentricity seems to be blaming BMW, and they are suggesting owners should revert back to their dealer for an upgrade (when most cars have already been upgraded). Other posters are pointing out that Rapid CCS charging is working well in other countries for BMW 1 owners but not in the UK.

Themass31

Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:32 am

I haven't actually plugged to the ones I am on about because there own website says they are off line.
Craig
Evesham

Hengus

Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:54 am

I think that you will find that they do not have live status reporting - yet. Zap Map Live seems to give the latest info. I know that EC has been rolling out an upgrade to their DBT chargers. There have been issues though post the upgrade. Difficult to complain when the energy provided is free but inconvenient from a journey planning point of view.

Themass31

Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:04 am

Not complaining as you say they are free but the same ones have been showing red at least six weeks.
Craig
Evesham

jadnashuanh

Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:27 pm

The CCS protocol utilizes several pins in the 'main' part of the connector for signaling and adding the DC fast charge only adds two pins to the connector, verses the CHADEMO system which has lots more, and uses what is closer to a low-voltage Ethernet control signal. That signal is an ac carrier imposed on a dc signal line in the range of 20MHz. If the plug does not make good contact with those signal lines, it could cause the system to fail to initialize. It seems the plug chosen for Europe has more of these issues than that selected for the USA and Canada. The J1772 plug has a mechanical button activated latch at the top of the plug, and the weight of the plug tends then to help ensure proper alignment and thus contact. It does not appear that the plug used in Europe has a similar mechanical latch which would allow the weight of the connector to have more impact on keeping everything lined up. As others have said, sometimes, all it takes is to relieve the pressure on the plug slightly for the unit to then communicate properly with the i3, and then, things can proceed correctly. As I understand it, there was a big controversy over what plug to select, and with different local rules, it was a tough sell...I'm not sure you guys got the best option, but it's a done deal for now. The Euro plug spec ended up with internal shutters to protect the high-voltage pins from inadvertent contact. The protocol and interlocks in the EVSE prevent there being any high voltage there at all until the plug is fully inserted, so it seems like a third layer of redundancy, whereas the USA J1772 spec has only two - you can't remove the connector until you press the release button, and that breaks the interlock signal which drops out the high voltage contactor. In the Euro plug, as soon as you pull the plug out, it closes shutters over the pins in addition to breaking the interlocks and thus causing the contactor to open.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

BoMW

Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:20 pm

Themass31 wrote:I leave the 42 to head north and when I look on the Eco site they are all red until you get to Darlington.
I did try to use the Trowel services the one time but it was out of order, your options then are meadow hall (during opening hours) and Wetherby , which worked well last year.

I'm heading up to Middlesbrough on Saturday so will also try these stations.

BoMW

Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:26 pm

Hengus wrote:I think that you will find that they do not have live status reporting - yet. Zap Map Live seems to give the latest info. I know that EC has been rolling out an upgrade to their DBT chargers. There have been issues though post the upgrade. Difficult to complain when the energy provided is free but inconvenient from a journey planning point of view.
I am complaining as the roll out of CCS is slow, few and doesn't work. Many a time I have literally frozen to death at 1am, wasting 45 minutes to activate charging. I become quite annoyed when I see a Nissan leaf roll up, plug in and charge immediately without any issues.
I don't think BMW are pushing the CCS facility either which is disappointing.

Return to “Technical BMW i3 Discussions”