Oil Change questions.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RostHaus

I need to change the oil on my Rex and I had a few questions.

1. is there a supply list somewhere? I know its a OC 306 filter and 0W30. But drain plug, crush washer?

2. Are oil changes free with the factory warranty? I was a little confused with what maintenance was included on the NA i3's 4yr 50k mi warranty.

3. is anyone successfully using a larger, more readily available filter?

I just took ours (2015 REX) in for it's annual check up and oil change. This service was flagged in the connected app and since I just got the warranty extended, I wanted to get the car in for our local BMW dealership to look it over (our car came from California but that is another story). The oil change was done which appears to be good for a year.

You may want to check with your dealership about the cost. I believe you should have service included for 3 years and a base warranty of 4 years. At least that is what we got with our Mini.

I was a little confused with what maintenance was included on the NA i3's 4yr 50k mi warranty.

If you buy the car new you have:
1. A BMW Service plan that covers the cost of scheduled maintenance of the car for three years (oil changes, brake flushes, etc). After late 2014 the free service plan no longer transfers with the car to a 2nd owner.

2. A BMW 4 year warranty that covers repairs to the car for manufacturing defects and failures.

A car bought 2nd hand as a CPO can have an extended service plan as part of the deal, as well as an extended warranty. Coverage for the extended service plan and extended warranty are not as comprehensive as the originals.

You can, for a price, purchase either or both a BMW extended service plan, and an extended warranty.

This was posted on FB couple years back:
"The W20 REx engine oil capacity is 2.6 liters.
Part numbers:
Oil filter: 11427673541 Cost: $15-20
Oil filter gasket ring (likely included with filter, but listing here anyway): 07119963252 Cost: $1 or less
Drain plug crush washer: 07119963252 Cost: $1 or less
Oil: 07510002545 or 07510017866 Cost: Around $8.50/bottle (x3)
The following oils are also acceptable per BMWUSA
Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30
Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40
Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30
Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30"

This should also help:
http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5189

thanks for all the info, looks like i'll be doing the oil change myself.

Contemplating the larger PH3614 filter, as i will drive on hold state on charge for a couple hundred miles every month.

Back