Oil change in REX

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2017 I3 REX was showing that I was due for service. I went into the Calabasas dealership in California and was told that I needed just under $300 worth of service! I feel like this dealership is constantly coming up with creative ways to part me with my money.

I was told I needed an oil change, that included an oil filter, as well as I needed to replace the air cabin filter, which was very pricey. I found replacement parts online for these things for under $20. My question is if I very rarely use the Rex, why would I need to get an oil change? It just seems to me that for using it twice a year like I do and running it through the cycle when the system tells me I need to that it just doesn’t seem necessary to me. Also, how do they know I need an air cabin filter changed without looking at it? Thoughts?

I change my cabin air filter every 3 years. You can remove yours and examine it to determine iits condition. (See online videos.) I vacuum mine once after 2 years then replace after 3. We drive about 12,000 km/yr and live in a large city (Toronto) with some air pollution. I change REx oil every year and filter every two years. We use REx about 25 times per year. Oil ages even if not used so I would change yours every two years.

Mine was purchased from Japan with only 4,000 Km and 2 yrs on it, optioned with the synthetic oil so in theory it's only due an oil service when the car says to or 24 mnths.
Rex mostly only does mtce cycles 10 mins runtime every 60 days so the engine averages less than 2 hrs runtime per year.

It would be interesting to see if there is any log of Rex hours run.
With the i3 I check the coolant levels, oil level and colour on the dipstick each year.
With the oil relatively clean I've decided to not change it that's my choice and without warranty remaining there is little reason to do these things because a page in the book wants a box ticked.

I was getting concerned with the 12V battery as some days it was drifting down to below 12V so replaced it then load capacity tested the 6yrs old original which turned out to have 80% of its Amp - hours available - would probably been good for another 2 yrs but best to not be stranded and have to buy a new one at emergency prices. I actually fitted the sister model ETX18L Powersport version for about $80 less, this has terminals needing slight trimming to fit and there is no external vent port to put the plastic elbow onto which most people break anyway - or forget to refit after bolting in the new battery (yes me too).

Hope this helps with your decision to or not to do some things. I really like the car next on the list will be tires, seems in Europe there is 2 more choices in Continental Eco Contact 6 and Michelin E - premacy in the 19" size see Youtube - Wisely Automotive Channel

The REX in the i3 is more like an emergency generator than an engine in a car. It could sit unused for months or years at a time.

If you look at user manual for any generator, they recommend oil changes every 6 or 12 months and 100 hours, whichever first. For full synthetic oil I think you can go longer than 12 months, perhaps 18 months, but general idea is that you need to change oil, even if it is not used that often.

I use my REx once or twice a month. Sometimes for a long trip, my father lives 400. miles away, and sometimes to just keep the battery above 20% when I have lots to do around town. I have 80,000 miles on the car and I'd guess 10-15% was done on the REx. I've had no maintenance problems with the REx in the life of the car, but that could just be luck.

For me it allows the i3 to be my only car. I've always thought of it as an extender, not an emergency option. If I had a BEV, I'd probably also own an ICE car.

My 2017 I3 REX was showing that I was due for service. I went into the Calabasas dealership in California and was told that I needed just under $300 worth of service! I feel like this dealership is constantly coming up with creative ways to part me with my money.

I was told I needed an oil change, that included an oil filter, as well as I needed to replace the air cabin filter, which was very pricey. I found replacement parts online for these things for under $20. My question is if I very rarely use the Rex, why would I need to get an oil change? It just seems to me that for using it twice a year like I do and running it through the cycle when the system tells me I need to that it just doesn’t seem necessary to me. Also, how do they know I need an air cabin filter changed without looking at it? Thoughts?
What did you end up doing?

I drive to see my Dad at least once a month - an 840 mile round trip. I have made it one way on a single battery charge by using the REx. I am changing the oil after three trips. Next change I will try the larger filter. From what I have seen on-line, this engine is used for a BMW 650 scooter in Europe that they recommend oil change every 4K miles, but the scooter also runs at higher RPMs that the i3.

Back