fomb

Not charging properly

Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:46 am

All of a sudden my 60Ah REX is misbehaving. There's no warnings or anything showing up in the iDrive, and the car thinks it's 100% charged.

However, it's not. It only has around 5 miles range showing. If I plug it in (tried more than one charger) you hear the switch in the charger engage, and then a few seconds later it'll disengage again and stop charging. Sometimes it'll charge for a few minutes then stop.

In the app, it says 100% charge / 5 miles range, but at the start of the charging session (when it works for a short while) it'll show 11% or whatever.

It feels like this is some sort of software thing, but I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas?

Neil

Re: Not charging properly

Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:52 am

That's a new one on me. Perhaps your i3 has had a sudden HV battery failure? Perhaps you can check the kappa value and see what it says. Another thing you might try since you have a Rex is to drive until the Rex kicks in and see if that helps reset things. Interested in hearing what's the root cause of this since I have a 60Ah Rex as well.
Neil L.
2014 i3 Rex, Giga World, all the trimmings.

fomb

Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:09 am

Neil wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:52 am
That's a new one on me. Perhaps your i3 has had a sudden HV battery failure? Perhaps you can check the kappa value and see what it says. Another thing you might try since you have a Rex is to drive until the Rex kicks in and see if that helps reset things. Interested in hearing what's the root cause of this since I have a 60Ah Rex as well.
Kappa value?

Neil

Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:14 am

Here's a video on how to use the "secret" menu on the i3. There are others as well.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... dbJMcbYtmM

I thought of something else. Did you see this same behavior on more than 1 charging unit? If not, try a different one to see if the behavior is the same.
Neil L.

fomb

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:14 pm

Yeah, I’ve tried our PodPoint and also a standard three pin plug. Same behaviour. Will need to get the capacity number

fomb

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:09 am

Well, this morning after the car has had a sleep everything seems fine - so go figure

Neil

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:13 pm

Well, glad to hear this. Not totally unexpected that the car needed some sleep. I've seen a lot of quirkiness in my vehicle over the last almost 7 years. In fact the nickname for mine is "Quirky". :lol:
Neil L.

spartacus68

Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:08 pm

This sounds very much like the same issue I had. If you're in Europe then the charging lock solenoid fails to engage properly sending a message that it can't charge, LED light surround flashes red, etc. In the US the locking mechanism is slightly different. More details here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17186

There's someone on the EV forum here in the UK with a 2020 REx with sounds like a very similar issue, but it occurs if car left in direct sunlight, I know, go figure!

I've read that with the charge port disassembled, it's worth enlarging the hole slightly that the locking solenoid actuates through, you can even lightly lube with a marine grease, that shouldn't do any harm.

Anyway in my experience it's potential Achilles heel part but it can leave you high and dry if the car fails to charge.

If you check out Hubauer Shop (Germany), have the last 7 digits of your VIN, then you can see correct part. Also watch the video.
2015 i3 REx, 60ah, solar orange. Reversing camera, leather interior, sunroof, park assist, professional navigation.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”