I Remote app

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scd3o3

Hi, I just purchased a 2017 i3 REX yesterday and I absolutely love it!
Curious to know though, I've seen youtube videos of the BMW i remote app where you can monitor the charging status on your phone. After searching on the app store, My BMW seems to be the only official app and I don't have the option to monitor the charging status in that app.
Is the i remote a stand alone app or has it been replaced by My BMW? And to be able to monitor the charging status in My BNW, do I have to be currently subscribed to one of the BMW ConnectedDrive packages (the car currently has no active subscriptions)?
Thank you in advance for your help.

MyBMW replaced the BMW Connected app in April. I'm not sure about the iRemote app, but the last mentions I see of it are 2016. Maybe Connected replaced it?

MyBMW does show charging status, projected time at which it will reach 100%, and also a charging history.

scd3o3 said:
Curious to know though, I've seen youtube videos of the BMW i remote app where you can monitor the charging status on your phone. After searching on the app store, My BMW seems to be the only official app and I don't have the option to monitor the charging status in that app.
Is the i remote a stand alone app or has it been replaced by My BMW? And to be able to monitor the charging status in My BNW, do I have to be currently subscribed to one of the BMW ConnectedDrive packages (the car currently has no active subscriptions)?
All i3's have only a limited number of interfaces to various types of data about the car (e.g., charge level, charging status, location) and to actions (e.g., lock/unlock doors, honk horn, precondition cabin). BMW developed smartphone apps to display these data and perform these actions. The first was iRemote which was superseded by BMW Connected, and currently, My BMW. They have all displayed the same data and performed the same actions. The user interface and some functionality have changed.

None of these apps connects directly to an i3 via the i3's cellular data connection to the Internet. Instead, these apps connect to a BMW server over the Internet, and this server connects to the relevant i3. The weak link has always been the BMW server which could be offline for an extended period, could have some sort of server software problem, etc. If an i3 is parked where its cellular data signal strength is low (AT&T in the U.S.), the BMW server might not be able to connect to the i3 to get the latest data resulting in old data being displayed on the app or an action not being performed or performing very slowly. Nothing seems to have improved significantly over more than 7 years.

If an i3 doesn't have subscriptions to certain BMW Connected Services, the BMW server won't connect to this i3 and the app won't display data about the i3 or perform actions.

Back