alohart

Re: Converter Plug

Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:17 pm

Busfolder wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:05 am
Any i3 can charge from any 120V to 240V AC outlet, using a simple 'dumb' cable with suitable connectors.

This is borne out by a public charger I use in Didcot (Oxfordshire) Although on the Pod-Point network, it simply supplies 230V at up to 32A single-phase, with no app, card, or 'handshake' interactions with the car.
Communications between the i3's on-board charger and the charging station must exist. From the i3 High-Voltage Components Training Manual:

Charging mode 1 i.a.w. IEC61851-1 is NOT USED in the I01 due to a lack of communication between the vehicle and voltage supply.

Translated, this means that a "dumb" cable cannot be used to charge an i3 from a simple electrical outlet but it can be used from a charging station with communications capabilities. Without this, electrocution or electrical arcing could occur.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

Busfolder

Re: Converter Plug

Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:40 am

You're right Art, sorry for my mistake!

I now recall reading that Mode 1 charging isn't used by the i3.

Nevertheless, there are still some simple public chargers here in the UK which need no payment. Let's see how long this continues!

Chris

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”