About to pull the trigger...questions for owners before leas

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PluviaPlumbum said:
janner said:
The pedestrian warning sound.

In the UK we have an audible sound at pedestrian crossings. My American colleague asked me what the sound was and I said it was for the blind people. She said that in the States they don't allow blind people to drive.

They do, but they are Blind to logic and reason - you know whom I'm referring to :)

And so do I. Isn't it tedious to hear the continuing rants from those who regardless of the merits (and shortcomings) of the car obviously bought the wrong vehicle for their needs and were not prepared to spec the options which they now deem essential. It is notable that those of us outside the US seem far happier with our choice than our cousins across the pond (and Pacific).

S3RDP said:
PluviaPlumbum said:
janner said:
The pedestrian warning sound.

In the UK we have an audible sound at pedestrian crossings. My American colleague asked me what the sound was and I said it was for the blind people. She said that in the States they don't allow blind people to drive.

They do, but they are Blind to logic and reason - you know whom I'm referring to :)

And so do I. Isn't it tedious to hear the continuing rants from those who regardless of the merits (and shortcomings) of the car obviously bought the wrong vehicle for their needs and were not prepared to spec the options which they now deem essential. It is notable that those of us outside the US seem far happier with our choice than our cousins across the pond (and Pacific).

I really am tired of this argument, but since some of you insist on misstating the same thing and keep resurrecting this I feel obliged to respond:

It's not a simple matter of specifying what we want. You may have partially explained it: in the U.S. We don't get to pick options. We get some monumentally stupid packages that group color/interior finish with functions. Why is that so hard to accept as a complaint?

I could almost say the same of reverse camera. I want a reverse camera, but I don't tend to park in cities. Why can't I specify and pay for a reverse camera without buying that package?

So please stop this pointless attacks on other people. You don't think it's tedious to keep repeating the same attacks rather than just let it be?

The nature of the NA Vehicle market is geared to satisfying the consumer need of being able to walk onto a lot and conclude a purchase in a very short timescale - Hence the packaged vehicle stock which BMW NA along with the majority other of manufactures have to go along with. The rest of the developed world mainly orders from an options list some of which there may be packages geared to extracting more cash from the purchaser and then wait for the factory to build your car - a model which Tesla notably operates with in the US. The factory order lead to a more considered purchase with the likelihood of amending your order in the case of buyers remorse.

Now you may not like the packages on offer, but then if you go on to purchase anyway and then go on to complain vocally on an internet forum about this and that about an Ill considered purchase it
just holds that person up for ridicule: I'm more than happy to oblige, it's great entertainment.

PluviaPlumbum said:
The nature of the NA Vehicle market is geared to satisfying the consumer need of being able to walk onto a lot and conclude a purchase in a very short timescale - Hence the packaged vehicle stock which BMW NA along with the majority other of manufactures have to go along with. The rest of the developed world mainly orders from an options list some of which there may be packages geared to extracting more cash from the purchaser and then wait for the factory to build your car - a model which Tesla notably operates with in the US. The factory order lead to a more considered purchase with the likelihood of amending your order in the case of buyers remorse.

Now you may not like the packages on offer, but then if you go on to purchase anyway and then go on to complain vocally on an internet forum about this and that about an Ill considered purchase it
just holds that person up for ridicule: I'm more than happy to oblige, it's great entertainment.

Actually no, nothing is an excuse to ridicule anyone. That is the entire basis of the problem. Once past the age of 16 most people grow up and realize that there is a big difference between not agreeing with someone and the wrong headed belief that it somehow gives you permission to "ridicule" them.

I simply do not agree with you, it is completely appropriate to point out badly thought out features, implementation and packages. Research doesn't make them any better. There is no room in that disagreement for me to hold you up for ridicule.

We don't need to ridicule anyone in these 'anti' threads.

We just need to point out the gaping black holes in their arguments.

If you can't buy what you specifically want in the option list without spending money on something you really don't want to pay for, bargain with the sales guy or walk away.

epirali said:
PluviaPlumbum said:

Actually no, nothing is an excuse to ridicule anyone. That is the entire basis of the problem. Once past the age of 16 most people grow up and realize that there is a big difference between not agreeing with someone and the wrong headed belief that it somehow gives you permission to "ridicule" them.

I simply do not agree with you, it is completely appropriate to point out badly thought out features, implementation and packages. Research doesn't make them any better. There is no room in that disagreement for me to hold you up for ridicule.

The following is not a disagreement with you:

Why did you buy the i3? Just to complain about it? (that's two legit questions) Look, you KNEW it came without the camera with the level you chose and yet you bought it (that's a fact), you really don't like the steering (another fact) you don't seem to like much of anything about the car (from statements you have made). Do you buy other things and then become unhappy with them as well? (another Legit question)

For me, and from what I can tell by this forum, MOST people are happy with THEIR decision and the car. I am truly sorry YOU made a bad decision for YOU, but you will NEVER convince me of any of the "issues/problems/badly thought out..." whatever for this car.

I think BMW did an OUTSTANDING job creating a great completely original high technology car that's all new from the ground up. Very few manufacturers if any (save Tesla) have done such a great job right out of the box.

I have the BEV, I never have "range anxiety", it is my main car, I drive it like I've driven my other cars, and I find the i3 to be an absolute gem, it performs way better than I ever imagined. I average 4.6 mile per Kwh on Comfort mode and 5.1 on Eco-Pro. That gives me a real world range of 80-90 miles with the A/C on and driving like a regular car. Right now I have 83 miles of available charge (fully charged) and If I drive it like an EV should really be driven - no fast starts, let the Regen brake it, I could easily get 6.1 miles per Kwh (I've done it numerous times) - that's well over 100 miles of range. For the record - I enjoy the whoop-whoop sound, but I can only hear it if I have no music playing and I really listen for it.

To the original poster HDBrew - If you did your research, AND you properly choose the right level, have test driven it and like the way it rides, how the controls work, how the 'infotainment' system works and music system sounds, get the car, if not, don't. Pointing out your disappointment with you purchase will not change a thing about the purchase, but please don't get one without first doing your due-diligence and then come here and complain about it.

Every car forum I have been on since the late 90's (about 30) ALWAYS had one or two people dissatified with their car (buyers remorse possibly?)

Some people buy a home without certain features, then spend more money trying to make it the way they want rather than spec'ing it as they really wanted. With a home, that's possible for the most part, on a vehicle, while maybe possible, it is often a major expense, and not practical. The moral of this story is get your priorities straight, and don't be a pain and complain about it afterwards! Packages are a fact of life on car options. Very few offer line-by-line option choices. Don't like it, don't buy it. Nobody put a pistol to your head and demanded you buy the thing!

Electron15 said:
For me, and from what I can tell by this forum, MOST people are happy with THEIR decision and the car. I am truly sorry YOU made a bad decision for YOU, but you will NEVER convince me of any of the "issues/problems/badly thought out..." whatever for this car.

I think BMW did an OUTSTANDING job creating a great completely original high technology car that's all new from the ground up. Very few manufacturers if any (save Tesla) have done such a great job right out of the box.

Well said, and I agree.

There will always be people who buy a car (including the i3) for the wrong reasons, or fail to select the options they really want.
I think the only car known not to have that option problem was the Ford Model T. lol.

epirali said:
PluviaPlumbum said:

Once past the age of 16 most people learn to take responsibility for their own actions, you admitted that despite a load of desk research you declined an extended test drive which would have revealed the majority of things you seem unhappy with. Idleup simply bought on a whim and now regrets bitterly his own actions - bleating about it on the net won't change anything hence you both are looking fairly ridiculous in my book. Both of you have a tendency to present your opinions ( to which you are entitled of course) as fact.

Actually most people here are not "bleating" as you so insultingly yet again say. I wonder what that's about?

I for one only respond when posters like you misstate what I've said, or are just too insulting. So the irony is in trying to shut down negative posts these just keep going because of the misguided attempt to shut them down.

And I am sorry but the logic that you should have known about it, therefore pointing it out is not allowed is just deeply flawed. First these forums are a great resource for potential new owners. If everyone who didn't like something about the car just shut up then they have no chance to judge the shortcomings for themselves. It is fascinating and now I understand why when I read these forums before leasing sone of these flaws were not even being discussed. Now they are.

And some people manage to post their disagreement and even give positive experiences. Yet somehow manage to not make it personal. It's called civilized adult public behavior.

Electron15 said:
The following is not a disagreement with you:

Why did you buy the i3? Just to complain about it? (that's two legit questions) Look, you KNEW it came without the camera with the level you chose and yet you bought it (that's a fact), you really don't like the steering (another fact) you don't seem to like much of anything about the car (from statements you have made). Do you buy other things and then become unhappy with them as well? (another Legit question)

First in my case I am not trying to convince anyone who likes the car that they should not. I understand and respect you think the car is great as is, and I realize you are not alone.

I am not in your camp. I have found the car to be less than I expected, and honestly I didn't expect much. I actually have the camera, but I chose to live without comfort access and home link simply because for me the brown or beige interior with wood is just out of the question. So I gave up comfort access and homelink, and whether you agree or not that is bad packaging to me. And as I explained elsewhere THEN I found out the trunk doesn't unlock on stop, and without comfort access you need to manually unlock. Seems small but inconvenient. You can say I'm complaining, or I am pointing out a set of decision for a new owner to consider. Same with the overly bouncy ride, overly sensitive steering, etc. They may decide it's perfect for them too, but they should have information, not just cheerleading from forums like this.

I applaud the effort of both BMW and tesla, but that doesn't mean I have to believe they are successful. I love the i8, in my mind that is a near perfect attempt. I view the i3 as a near miss. Why did I get it? Simple. I do not like the model S or upcoming X, and wanted more use than I was getting with the Leaf. The Rex is currently the best solution to really use a BEV for all its worth.

Back