AC just went out

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i3convertee

My all battery i3's AC just went out this weekend. I normally run in comfort mode but this weekend, I switched to eco pro + mode which I understand turns off the AC compressor. Now, when I switch to comfort mode, the AC compressor does not come on. Of course, the AC button is switched on, temp set to 60 degrees and still no cold air even with max AC on. Interestingly when I turn the thermostat to 80 degrees, the heater does not come on. I have the factory firmware installed (purchase around July 2015). Has anyone else experienced this? Looks like I'll have to take my car in and get the dreaded software upgrade.

i3convertee said:
My all battery i3's AC just went out this weekend. I normally run in comfort mode but this weekend, I switched to eco pro + mode which I understand turns off the AC compressor. Now, when I switch to comfort mode, the AC compressor does not come on. Of course, the AC button is switched on, temp set to 60 degrees and still no cold air even with max AC on. Interestingly when I turn the thermostat to 80 degrees, the heater does not come on. I have the factory firmware installed (purchase around July 2015). Has anyone else experienced this? Looks like I'll have to take my car in and get the dreaded software upgrade.

I think this was a known issue with some of the early US cars - not a problem with the A/C, but a software issue.

Same thing happened to me. The most recent major s/w upgrade fixed it, and apparently addressed other issues, including reducing the charge rate to protect the KLE until BMW comes up with a more robust unit.

Did you go to your dealer with the problem?

Hi, apparently there's now a service bulletin for the AC. I took my REx into the shop for the 'check engine light' fix, and they said there were bulletins out for both the fuel pump and the AC. New hardware in each case, not just software. If you take your i3 in for the AC bulletin, be sure to confirm they have the compressor oil in stock. Apparently our i3 is the first one in the DC area to have the AC work performed.... BMW chose a specialty oil for the compressor, nobody had it in stock, and it ships from Estonia (for real). Consequently we've been without our car while we wait for the oil to show up.

I'll also post this under the REx forum.

Back