Antenna breaking off in carwash

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevei3

Dear i3 co-owners,

please take care with the (radio-) antenna, for mine broke off today in the car wash I frequent. Why now is not clear, for I have been through there 4-5 times already.
I wish I had known it could be removed, but I guess it is not supposed to be detachable, for it is not mentioned in the manual that it has to be removed before washing the car. I did check (earlier, first wash) if there was any play in the antenna indicating removability, but it felt so tight I didn't dare to excert brute force.

BMW has been contacted.

Regards, Steven

Stevei3 said:
Dear i3 co-owners,

please take care with the (radio-) antenna, for mine broke off today in the car wash I frequent. Why now is not clear, for I have been through there 4-5 times already.
I wish I had known it could be removed, but I guess it is not supposed to be detachable, for it is not mentioned in the manual that it has to be removed before washing the car. I did check (earlier, first wash) if there was any play in the antenna indicating removability, but it felt so tight I didn't dare to excert brute force.

BMW has been contacted.

Regards, Steven

Thanks for the tip Steven, sorry to hear about that. :(

I wonder why they didn't use the shark fin-style antenna used on most other BMWs. Perhaps there is some unique system in the i3 that needs a longer antenna for better reception?

SDCAi3 said:
I wonder why they didn't use the shark fin-style antenna used on most other BMWs. Perhaps there is some unique system in the i3 that needs a longer antenna for better reception?

it might have to do with the carbon fiber, this material blocks signals

I agree with 133t about using a car wash as I would normally never use such a harsh way to clean my cars. However, as i will only be leasing this one I guess it does not matter. :twisted:

As for the aerial I must admit that I never noticed where or what it was like on the I3 when I ordered it! I do know that BMW often use more than one aerial for the FM, AM, DAB and GPS receivers.

Mine was replaced during a recent visit to the dealer. They said it is a known problem.

I have now just removed it because I only use DAB and don't notice any reception problem.

Back