Any one here ordered a Tesla Model 3?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westoni3

Ordered one last week.
Waiting to drive both the I3s and Model 3 before i make my final decision.

Have you had the opportunity to drive it?
Had a chance to sit on one, play a little with the screen control.
Interior is very good although the i3's cockpit is a lot nicer.
Seats are better on Model 3,but no CarPlay or XM radio.
Good back seat although i don't really need it and a lot more trunk/frunk space.
I'm ok with i3's range so it's really going to come down to the driving experience between the Tesla and the i3S

Personally, I don't agree with Tesla's battery configuration choice. They chose a fairly small battery which requires literally thousands of cells. The more connections there are, the more chances of there being a failure, and the more circuitry there has to be to prevent a bad cell from severely compromising the overall operation. Throw in their lack of build quality/consistency (highest warranty claims in the industry - one reason why they aren't making money), and I didn't really consider it a viable choice. But, until recently, if you wanted a car that you could take long distances, but not everywhere, it was the only game if you wanted an EV. For me, the i3 was the sweet spot...something that was reliable, comfortable, and had enough range for my daily needs. Today an ICE or hybrid is still the better choice for a long trip to who knows where which is likely not near a supercharger. Even at 'super' charging rates, it's still a forced delay far longer than a gas tank fillup, and your choices of where you can stop are somewhat limited by someone else's choice. Consider that the Model 3 is not going to get free charging (or has that changed yet again?), and that incentive goes away. It's still going to be a long time before widespread, fast DC-charging is available everywhere. God forbid when you get to one is it full, and you have to wait for a spot, too, or find out it is down for some maintenance. An ICE would likely find another station nearby and go merrily on its way...that won't work for an EV.

Back