Be careful of salesperson misinformation about the i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surge

It's common for salespeople to be misinformed, and with the i3, it seems ever more to be the case.

Here's what the salesperson I recently met with told me about the i3:

- top speed is 220-230 kph (same as a 3 series)!

- i3 is assembled in Washington state, USA !

- he had no clue what the driving assistance in traffic does, or that it's even included

- that loaner cars are included at no extra cost if you want something to drive for longer distances… this is not true, from what I've read.

At least he was very nice and professional, which is rare…

The dealership knowledge level on this car based on my experiences at two dealerships is about a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10.

At the test drive event where they had three i3s.

Will I be able to order with a sunroof? Yes, WRONG

What is the range of the battery only version? Oh you'll be able to easily get 200mi. WRONG.

How long will it take to fully charge if plugged into a regular house outlet? 2-3 hours, WRONG.

If blows my mind that with so much invested in designing the car, more $$$ wasn't spent training the front lines on this car.

They've made improvements with the genius person on site, but what they should have done is loaned i3s to a couple salespeople in every dealership so they would have first hand knowledge of the car.

Got an i3 question, go see Fred, he's been driving one for a month....

Actually I think you guys are being a little to hard on these BMW sales guys. The car has just been officially released for sale and the sales reps are just now getting their training. I personally think having the car released for sale in Europe last fall has put the people in North America in a bad situation when the release here is almost 8 months later. Having said that I had to train my salesman when I ordered mine 4 weeks ago. I did the talking and ask questions that he had to go the the dealership manager to get answers, which they did on the day I ordered the car while I waited. The manager called the US headquarters and was able to answer all my questions. They knew I was ready to put down a non-refundable deposit and they got answers for me that were spot on. However, in Columbus I visited two separate dealers, I told the other dealer I was ready to pre order with a deposit and the other dealer acted like they were not interested, said they had no yet worked out their pricing. In fact I visited the other dealer first on the day I placed my order and was told they would contact me in about two weeks and it's now been almost 4 weeks and no contact. Too bad any way I already ordered my i3 , 4 weeks ago come Monday May 5th.

The problem these guys have or have had till yesterday is no cars to sell yet and know idea as to when they actually will have a car certified by big brother as ok to go ahead and sell one. Oh and additionally they make their living on sales volume, just like any other business. No sales no income. Now that they have or will have cars on the floor soon and will be trained soon, hopefully this situation will change for the better.

The one thing I do agree with you guys on is the misinformation, this is not new in the auto industry and especially on a totally new model, I have seen this many times in my past. I have often found that I know a lot more about the car I want than the salesman.

Surge said:
...he was very nice and professional, which is rare…

Referring to a sales guy who is able to freely spout rubbish "professional" must surely highlight some kind of transatlantic warp of interpretation of the English language. It's one thing not to know about the product you're selling, but it's quite anther to make stuff up/guess/speculate. "Professional" where I come from would be to say something, "I'm sorry; I don't know, but I'll find out for you". Just my point of view...

kc1 said:
Surge said:
...he was very nice and professional, which is rare…

Referring to a sales guy who is able to freely spout rubbish "professional" must surely highlight some kind of transatlantic warp of interpretation of the English language. It's one thing not to know about the product you're selling, but it's quite anther to make stuff up/guess/speculate. "Professional" where I come from would be to say something, "I'm sorry; I don't know, but I'll find out for you". Just my point of view...

That's what my salesman did, he never quoted me anything that I noticed as a made up incorrect answer. He did say we haven't had our training yet and he further repeadly stated he did not know the answer but would inquire with the igenius at BMW USA headquarters and fined out for me.

I wouldn't get info from any car dealer about the products they sell. Most dealers are excellent at telling the customer what they want to hear. I get the information before going to the dealer :)

Eric

Back