BMW CPO requirements (tire wear, scheduled maintenance, body damage)?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eNate

Staff member
I'm always looking for a "gotcha" as a price negotiation tactic.

The i3 I'm looking at is at a "chain store" BMW dealership that does fixed pricing / no negotiation, somewhat like the Car Max or Auto Nation model. Of course, everything is negotiable.

This particular car is loaded lease return, 20K miles on it, but upon return at a different local BMW dealership, it was sent to auction. I hold that dealership in higher regard and as a little more reputable, only because it's a smaller, non-affiliated dealership.

The only potential item of concern I can come up with is that the car was leased in September of 2017, and didn't log a dealership service visit until August of 2019, when it was turned in. I believe that BMW requires their CPOs to have all services on record, and this car seems to have missed its 12 month service.

So I verified with the current dealership that they're offering this as a BMW CPO, not an in-house warranty. But on the CPO checklist, where there's a section for notating previous services, it's been left blank.

I did talk to a random salesman at the originating dealership, and he speculated that the i3 is a low margin car, and told me, "we would rather just return them to BMW." He said the car is probably fine -- just buy it! But looking at his website, they're offering a handful of i3 cars for sale, and none are as well-equipped as this one. I'm puzzled.

Also, there's a dime-sized gouge in the passenger side door that I pointed out and they're willing to repair, and the rear tires are down to 3mm according to their CPO inspection checklist, and are marked as "OK." The fronts were measured at 2mm, notated "BELOW," and must have been replaced.

Their asking price is actually reasonable, but part of me is being cautious about buying a potential problem, and the other part of me thinks there's $2k in there that I can knock off.

If it's a BEV, the recommended maintenance interval is 2 years compared with 1 year for a REx due to its engine oil change requirement.

Thanks, Art.

As it turned out, it had an 8,000 mile visit for a faulty windshield wiper and a recall, which didn't show up on CarFax. And I learned some more info. It was leased and serviced at the "chain" dealer, and only returned at the other place.

I did manage to negotiate a decent chunk off of their "no haggle" price, though it took a bit of doing over the course of a week.

Working in my favor was that it was a fully loaded BEV (who in their right mind wants a loaded i3 without a REX?) and they had it incorrectly listed as 60Ah. Car Gurus flagged it with an "Overpriced" rating based on incomplete data. That probably kept buyers at a distance. I can't understand how a dealership can make a costly mistake like that, but see that tons of 2017s are advertised with 60Ah instead of 94., and mdecoder so far indicates they're all wrong.

Back