BMW: dont try to fix whoop-whoop with new parts

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have i3 Bev with 20" tires.
I purchased car in July 2014 and currently have over 15,000 miles on it.

I noticed the whoop-whoop sound from the car several times. My wife has also heard it
when she drives or sits in the car. it is an obvious un-natural sound when you hear it.
the first time my wife heard it, she thought the car was broken and told me to return the car.

I was able to get rid of the sound every time i heard it by adding air to all 4 tires.
I do not trust the tire pressure reading built into the car. that system has always said the
tire pressure is normal when I hear the whoop sound or when I do not hear it.

I live in southern calif. and the car has been through a season of hot summer and cold winter.
usually I have to adjust tire pressure in other cars with change in weather.

I also seem to get the whoop-whoop sound after I park car at airport for a couple of weeks when I travel for work. again, adding air to tires got rid of the whoop sound.

Out of curiosity, what air pressure seems to solve the problem for you? A good tire pressure gauge is probably the better thing to use when filling verses the vehicle readout.

I always set PSI to the recommend setting on the driver side door sticker.

i think the sticker states 33 PSI for front and 41 PSI for rear on 20" tires.

I try to make sure to add air to tires and read PSI when tires are cold.
If I can not do so, I try to add air to get a couple of PSI above recommending setting.
then after overnight parking in garage, check PSI in morning. I can easily adjust to lower PSI.

I use a generic tire pressure gage and the PSI gage of air pump at gas station.

I stop using the PSI reading builtin to the car. It is sometimes correct, but it is not consistant.

Latest posts

Back