BMW Turbocord 240v attachment needed

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kweiske

Hi, all -

I bought a 2018 i3 REX and it came with a BMW Turbocord charger. It's missing the 240v adapter.

I've been looking for the adapter online anywhere and can't find one for sale. Haven't found any chargers being sold for parts.

I've seen 12 AWG NEMA 6-20p to 5-15R extension cords that would do the same thing as the adapter, does anyone know if there's any circuitry or anything in the adapter besides, well, adapting a 5-15 plug to a 6-20?

51QrGygq5TL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

It's noticing more than a mismatched plug and socket, no wizardry contained inside. I've built these myself for dual-voltage EVSEs.

I have rebuilt my turbocord adapter when it broke. There are 2 thermal fuses inside and nothing else. It is real challenging soldering the thermal fuses without overheating the fuses.

That adapter above should work.

duanew said:
I have rebuilt my turbocord adapter when it broke. There are 2 thermal fuses inside and nothing else. It is real challenging soldering the thermal fuses without overheating the fuses.

While an onboard thermal fuse is an added safety feature, it's not required by any electrical code and not necessary to allow it to function.

Assuming you'll be plugging in to a known receptacle that you maintain in good condition, and that you are checking for excessive heat at the plug on a somewhat regular basis, you'll have a good electrical connection and will be aware of a problem if the plug begins to become exclusively hot during use.

I think of these fuses more as a CYA for the manufacturer/seller, because most meltdowns happen when an EVSE is plugged into a receptacle that is dirty or old (lacking proper spring force for good electrical contact), resulting in high resistance, creating an overtemp. This isn't something that happens randomly.

plug.jpg

Happy ending. Because I'd run the electrical wiring when I did a remodel a couple of years ago, an electrician was able to connect a breaker and a NEMA 6-20 plug to my carport in an hour.

The $9 adapter cord works with the Turbocord charger perfectly.

Back