Brand new I3 owner and I can see I need a Level 2 charger

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidsteel

I purchased my car on Friday. You sure can get a great deal on the last day of the month. Anyway i can already see that the 110 charger is way to slow. I am going to purchase a Level 2 charger this week. Does anyone have suggestions as far a good L2 charger? I see some of them are only a few hundred while others are $600 or more. Don't I just need a 30amp Level 2 charger? Are they all basically the same?
Sorry if this a real newby question. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
-David

Yes, they are all basically the same.

It's basically a fancy switch that negotiates current with the vehicle's on-board charger. (The EVSE is not technically a charger, it is just a supply of power)

The possible options available beyond the base unit that comes with the car are: greater current supply; a more informative display; a network connection where you can see the charge history and whether the vehicle is charging; and/or control of the EVSE remotely. Some EVSE's are water resistant, some not.

I have a Juicebox Pro 40. It's economical and works well. I especially like the long cable from the wall to the car.

https://www.emotorwerks.com/products/online-store/202-juicebox-pro-40-smart-40-amp-evse-with-24-foot-cable

30/32A is the max the i3 can use (actually, it's 7400W, and power is volts*amps, so depends on what your supply voltage really is), so, except maybe for charging a bigger car faster, it won't charge your i3 any faster. Some of the cost factors are if they have any fancy features such as WiFi connectivity, built-in meters, and programmability. Do you need any of those, no, but it might be fun.

I have a wired, Clipper Creek unit that works fine, is made in the USA, and has a decent warranty. Some are smaller, some are bigger, most can be installed outside if that's useful.

Thank you for the info. I just purchased the JuiceBox™ Pro 40....
http://www.emotorwerks.com/products/online-store/202-juicebox-pro-40-smart-40-amp-evse-with-24-foot-cable

I will be all set now.

Latest posts

Back