Broken wire in frunk near washer top up

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssh

Noticed a broken green wire at the front, anyone know what this is for and how urgent to fix? No warnings on the dash about it.

1707560498539.png

Is it a wire? Does it have a copper core? TBH it looks more like a broken plastic cable tie to me!

I've had a quick look on my car and there is nothing similar (i.e. not an unbroken wire of the same colour) but I did notice a "notch" immediately behind the washer filler point lid, so I wonder if this is a temporary tie that it used during production, which is intended to be removed when the car is complete?

Is it a wire? Does it have a copper core? TBH it looks more like a broken plastic cable tie to me!

I've had a quick look on my car and there is nothing similar (i.e. not an unbroken wire of the same colour) but I did notice a "notch" immediately behind the washer filler point lid, so I wonder if this is a temporary tie that it used during production, which is intended to be removed when the car is complete?
That's your emergency release for your gas tank door in case the latch or button break. Or your battery dies. Here is a picture of the missing end of it:

IMG_0512.jpg

That's your emergency release for your gas tank door
That would explain why mine doesn't have one! Mine's a BEV only. So it must have broken off (in the OP's case) where it attaches to the gas fill flap? Might simply be a missing split pin, but not possible to say for sure without seeing one properly hooked up.

BMW really cut corners when they decided to install cheap, breakable emergency cables. There have been many reports of emergency cables that were broken when trying to use them. A proper sheathed metal cable would have been so much better.

Back