Loose roof side trim

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciprico1

I have a 1 yr old i3, bought used 6 months ago, on 800 miles.

I just noticed the strip trim above the rear windows is loose on one side. Maybe 5mm play at the back. The front is firm.

BMW dealer wont repair under warranty

I'm refering the the trim along the length of the car between the roof and doors/windows

Googling it seems this strip is mainly glued on with double sided tape.

Anyone had similar problems or know how the remove the trim to investigate and fix.

I've applied gentle force both pulling and pushing to afix or remove, but neither helped.

I might be able to prise up and wack a bit of sticky tape inside to fix, but before I try I thought I'd see if anyone has any better ideas...

Thanks

You can get a good idea of exactly how this trim is fixed by getting yourself a copy of the original factory service manuals, which are readily available free online.

The manual has a section called "03_I01 - Body Repair Level 1" which has a diagram showing the main components, and a description of how they fit together. It may be that the retaining tabs have come unclipped from the fixing rail, or it may be that they are broken.

..for the benfit of anyone else with this problem, there is a curved triangle bit of plastic inside, visible when the boot is open, this is clipped to the plastic trim on one side and glued with a double sided spongy pad to the frame. This pad had failed.

I don't know if this kind of failure is covered by warranty ?

Hi - our 2019 i3S has developed the same issue - if you manage to fix it and have details of any new parts you bought or photos it would be great to see. I sourced a replacement outer trim piece on eBay incase I try to take the current loose one off and damage it but hopefully will be able to sort the original one. J

I just noticed the strip trim above the rear windows is loose on one side. Maybe 5mm play at the back. The front is firm.

How is this not a warranty repair?
It is not normal and totally unacceptable for that to happen to such a new car.
It sounds to me like a crooked dealership. Is there another BWM dealership you can take it to? Have you called BMW USA?

I'm refering the the trim along the length of the car between the roof and doors/windows

Googling it seems this strip is mainly glued on with double sided tape.

Anyone had similar problems or know how the remove the trim to investigate and fix.

I've applied gentle force both pulling and pushing to afix or remove, but neither helped.

I might be able to prise up and wack a bit of sticky tape inside to fix, but before I try I thought I'd see if anyone has any better ideas...

Thanks
What's the BMW stated reason to not honor warranty repair?

I went to a different dealer (Berry's) and they agreed to fix it under warranty immediately.

I won't be using Vine's in Guildford again.

They wanted £100 to "investigate" the problem, but the problem was plain to see. If they had judged it a warranty repair they say they would have reimbursed the £100.

...but there was nothing to investigate in the first place, the glued pad was unstuck and visible, so I suspect they would have found a reason for not reimbursing...

...like breaking a clip whilst removing the trim, which needs to be removed to repair but not to see the problem...

Back