Canada

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
frankyb said:
RJSATLBA said:
I paid €899 + 99 shipping from Germany to UK from this web site, they have gone up to 1099 now.

https://www.procarshop.de/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=I3

Are they shipping to Canada?

Looks like they do. And this is the full kit, Rim + Tires?

Anyone know if there is any DC Combo charging station being installed in Canada. Searching thru Plugshare, there isn't any DC Combo station in Canada :x

At the very minimum BMW dealers should have this type station to test / demo their product.

Blue20 said:
Anyone know if there is any DC Combo charging station being installed in Canada. Searching thru Plugshare, there isn't any DC Combo station in Canada :x

At the very minimum BMW dealers should have this type station to test / demo their product.

4 planned in Quebec (Highway 40 between Montreal & Quebec City), the last I have heard is that they were to be ready be the end of summer. Time will tell if this is true.

Blue20 said:

Check plugshare again. Powerstream opened up a public dc level 3 charger in Vaughan. I've seen it in person, but I am yet to use it. Still waiting for my car.

It's at major Mac just west of the 400. Near wonderland.

Hopefully there will be more of them soon. I really wish there were a couple between Toronto and Montreal. I can't see myself needing one in and around town.

So who on here is in Canada with an i3?

I've seen a grey REx in my neighbourhood in London, Ontario (if you're on here, please contact me, I want to chat about your car!), and spotted a silver one in Vaughn on recent roadtrip.

They said they were planning to install CCS units along the US interstate 89 leading on into Montreal, Canada...I know there are a few along the route in Vermont as of right now.

Since Canada tends to follow the US vehicle standards, and the US requires metal reinforcement around any sunroof opening, I do not think you'll see that option here soon, if ever, until a redesign (and maybe not then). The way I look at it, the car is quite airy as it is, and the extra weight up top on a tall car isn't worth it to me, nor is the loss of headroom (or the expense). I can think of many other things to spend about $1K on than a hole in the roof of my car!

Resurrecting this "Canada" local thread just in case there are people wondering about purchasing outside of i-Dealer areas.

I live in Saskatchewan. We purchased from a dealer in Vancouver (about 1600 km away...), shipped here via the same car delivery semi/trailer units that deliver the other cars from port cities. Delivered to local BMW dealer.

Have driven through two winters. Summers here are up to +30 °C (usually around +25), winters down to -30 °C (usually -10 to -20 at night, -10 during day during colder parts of winter). Range was around 60km in comfort mode in those cold temps.

I just use the level 1 charger at home, live near city core, short commute (normally bike).

Seems primitive to drive our gas vehicle when we need to (when we need to use second vehicle). Quiet, smooth, feels like the future.

Still waiting for local BMW dealer to get certified for maintenance. Even they wonder about operation in the cold. People need to see one in person, meet a person using one, to start to think it might be possible for them, which is why I'm posting.

No problems, love it. Only unusual thing is that the keyfob battery seems to run out unusually quickly.

Wow well done BridgesBEV, you are pioneer and brave!

I thought I was stretching it by living 2.5hrs drive away from the nearest i dealer here in Ontario :lol:

Welcome to the forum, there's also a very active facebook group (if you're into fb) to join.

Depending on how close to the vehicle you store your fob when not actually in it, that may be a reason for the battery life to be shorter than normal. Once it is close enough to the vehicle, various things happen, and if it's right at the edge of detection range, repeatedly throughout the day, and I think you'll find the fob and the car begin talking to each other. IF the fob is far enough away, that won't happen.

We bought our BEV from Brian Jessel in Vancouver in December. Delivered by flatbed to our home in Kamloops in January. Last week I had discussions with a BC Hydro rep who is working on installations of DCFC units in BC. There will be some announcements soon! I believe they want to eventually have them all along the TCH between Vancouver and the Alberta border. Without additions to the system, it will be difficult to get to Vancouver for servicing.

dmann said:
We bought our BEV from Brian Jessel in Vancouver in December. Delivered by flatbed to our home in Kamloops in January. Last week I had discussions with a BC Hydro rep who is working on installations of DCFC units in BC. There will be some announcements soon! I believe they want to eventually have them all along the TCH between Vancouver and the Alberta border. Without additions to the system, it will be difficult to get to Vancouver for servicing.

Welcome dmann!

If they don't install DCFC along the TCH, did the dealer offer to flatbed it for the annual service?

dmann said:

We really need some good news! The CCS situation in BC is very depressing. The wise-men (person!) in our BC government decided to install all the CCS DCFC outside of Vancouver area, which i3 is selling. Only until very recently, we have ONE(!) dual standard DCFC in the whole Metro Vancouver! BC's DCFC roll out plan is more like pork-belly / photo-ops than a serious infrastructure project. Can you imagine, Boston Bar - population 860, received the same number of dual standard DCFC as Metro Vancouver - Population of 2.5 million?!?!

I wish BC has an DCFC implementation plan like the Ontraio one, which clearly lays out where things will be, and how $ will be spent.

Recently, BMW even paid BC hydro to upgrade CHAdeMO to dual standard, but there is no word on when that will happen
https://archive.news.gov.bc.ca/releases/news_releases_2013-2017/2016MEM0005-000447.htm

Before we bought our BEV, I was told by a sales person at the Kelowna dealership that they would have i3 certification this year. Kelowna is much easier to get to from Kamloops, then is Vancouver. However, after we purchased I wanted to confirm this, but Kelowna said that there were no immediate plans. I've talked to some people at Brian Jessel since, as well as BMW Canada (which oddly is answered by a call centre in the US) and so far have not been given any assurances.

As to the DCFC situation in BC, I was advised by my BC Hydro contact, that their immediate plan is to upgrade to dual standard in the lower mainland first (since that's where most EV's are), and then continue to upgrade and install new stations in the interior. The Provincial Government has made announcements recently about additional money being dedicated to infrastructure, so I suspect this plan is real. We'll have to wait and see.

Hi All,

Just joined and have been looking at the i3 recently. The 2017 model with the updated battery has me quite intrigued. Excited to take one for a test drive next week.

Curious - Does the BMW connected stuff work in Canada as well? Are there options to connect to the car from an app, see status, charging etc?

Thanks!

Does the BMW connected stuff work in Canada as well

Yes. I use it as a remote car starter in winter when out at a restaurant, etc. to pre-warm the car, or occasionally to look at the stats or charge status. Basically just use it for pre-warming. App and communications are pretty slow, takes perhaps 30 - 60 seconds to 'send to server' and then get confirmation back from the car (via their service).

FWIW, the response from at least the US server seems to be better now after the last s/w update. No idea if it would apply to those in other markets, though.

Back