Canadian Group Buying Discount

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surge

All future Owners in Canada (planning to buy or lease in the next 3-6 months), let's get together to get a discount from a dealer.
So far, the local Toronto dealers have been reluctant to budge on price -- despite the car clearly not selling well.

Since our friends in the US are reporting over 6% discounts, and a friend of mine in Toronto got 7% off his new 335i, I for one am refusing to sign a deal unless I get a discount.

My suggestion is that a few of us get together and approach one salesperson to get a group discount.

Don't know about you, but I'm not going to pay $3500+ more if I don't have to.

So if you are in Canada and planning to get one in the next 3-6 months, let us know. Perhaps we can band together.

Surge said:
All future Owners in Canada (planning to buy or lease in the next 3-6 months), let's get together to get a discount from a dealer.
So far, the local Toronto dealers have been reluctant to budge on price -- despite the car clearly not selling well.

Since our friends in the US are reporting over 6% discounts, and a friend of mine in Toronto got 7% off his new 335i, I for one am refusing to sign a deal unless I get a discount.

My suggestion is that a few of us get together and approach one salesperson to get a group discount.

Don't know about you, but I'm not going to pay $3500+ more if I don't have to.

So if you are in Canada and planning to get one in the next 3-6 months, let us know. Perhaps we can band together.

Really??? Good luck with that. You are way out in left field on this one.

Really? Why is that?

Several US members have getting reported discounts of 6%. Why should there be a difference in Canada, we get the same car, from the same factory!
And the cars are sitting on the lots. I have yet to see one on the road in downtown Toronto (that is not a BMW loaner).

You may have the same situation in Canada that we have in the UK (and maybe Europe too). BMW(UK) is using the dealers as agents, so it is BMW that controls the price, not the dealer. I think someone explained on a much earlier thread that US law prohibits BMW from using the same tactic there.

Surge said:
Really? Why is that?

Several US members have getting reported discounts of 6%. Why should there be a difference in Canada, we get the same car, from the same factory!
And the cars are sitting on the lots. I have yet to see one on the road in downtown Toronto (that is not a BMW loaner).

No problem here, I just find it interesting that you Canadians have to band together in a group in order to get a discount. I negotiated my own discount under MSRP back in April when I ordered my car on the 7th. Be interesting if you can gain enough clout to get the dealers in your area to budge off of their MSRP pricing.

Actually Surge I thought you ordered a car months ago, I guess that is part of my initial reaction on this thread. Anyway good luck with it.

Ok, I see.

No, I didn't order one yet - I wanted to drive one for an extended period first. BMW gratuitously gave me one for 2 days, which convinced me to go ahead.

Now I'm waiting until I get a discount.
I wish it were more like the US, but since our population is 1/10th -- or at least that's the reason we are often given -- our prices are not as low as yours.

That said, I think the dealers, especially in Toronto (the 3rd largest city in the US/Canada) are just being greedy.
One dealer here did tell me that by winter, they should start discounting.

Hmmm.... So in 2 months since I posted this, not one person has indicated he is interested in buying the i3 in Toronto at a discount. That either means that:

A) no one reads the forum from Toronto -- not true
B) Canadian buyers don't care about discounts -- not true, we has less disposable income and spent a lot less on cars than our US neighbours
C) there just aren't that many i3 buyers in Toronto

Thanks Surge to bring this up. I may go with i3 sometime next year but I am also open to the MB ED or e-golf. Didn't test any of them yet but I like i3 BEV mostly so far.

simple said:
Thanks Surge to bring this up. I may go with i3 sometime next year but I am also open to the MB ED or e-golf. Didn't test any of them yet but I like i3 BEV mostly so far.

PM me when ready to proceed, I'm not in a hurry either.
I refuse to pay list when our friends in the US are routinely getting $3000-$4000 off, plus much higher lease residuals.

When the e-Golf, and the e-B class come out, BMW will likely drop prices.

Hi Surge,

I actually signed up specifically to respond to this thread as I've been lurking on the forum for a long time.

I'm happy to participate in this however, I'm not sure when the time will be right for me to buy. I live in a city without a BMW dealer who is selling/supporting the i3, which means I'll have to drive about 50km for service I believe and I don't know if I can make that time investment (being a small business owner) with a new model like the i3.

So I'm here in the wings, patiently waiting. I originally wanted an ELR but the i3 is more right for me. :)

Thanks for starting this thread and the comments you have made elsewhere to bring attention to the dealers outright denial of giving any kind of leeway with the pricing.

Tim.

I'm in London Ontario and plan to order an i3 REX in the new year from BMW Toronto... I figured I would be able to negotiate my own discount since I work in the automotive industry, we'll see.

I went to Town Country BMW in Markham last week and they confirmed there won't be any discount for i3. And a set of winter tires with TPMS is 2160.

i3wt.png

20141210i3.jpg

$55K for a new BMW i3 eh?
With $8500 Ontario rebate, that still nets out to $48K.

Can get a used Tesla Model S85 for $75K CDN today, dropping down to perhaps $60K next year.
Makes for an interesting comparison, as the Tesla has 8 year unlimited km coverage for battery, so buying used is not a big deal (for me anyway).

Happy to be driving my slightly less quick but still fun to drive Smart ED for $17K ($19K taxes included).
If you don't need the extras (seating for 4, comfort, prestige of BMW), it is a fun small car.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2015. Are we still in a no-discount situation in the GTA?

On a side note, is there a thread on local experience with these cars? Curious how this cold winter has impacted their performance.

REXCanuck said:
I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2015. Are we still in a no-discount situation in the GTA?

On a side note, is there a thread on local experience with these cars? Curious how this cold winter has impacted their performance.

Hey REXCanada, welcome!

There is a special offers page on the bmw.ca site right now: (http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/insights/special_offers/special_offers14.html)
But there's nothing special about that 2015 rate, the 3.9 on remaining 2014's is the only deal.
When I first engaged BMW Toronto they were offering me 2K (or 3K I don't remember) off MSRP and the 3.9% on the three 2014's they had in stock, but nothing on the 2015 I really wanted.

I was able to take advantage of a February-only BMW Financial loyalty incentive, but I don't know if that was extended to March, you would have to quiz the dealer.

As for the cold weather performance, there has been lots of discussion about it as several owners on here are from the northern states and they have had just as nasty a winter as us in Ontario, so just search around.

Hmm. $1000 loyalty dollars.

I got this same reduction ($1K) when buying my Smart ED in Toronto being a Mercedes owner.
Plus they popped another $3000 off MSRP.
Drove away for $19K all-in and couldn't be happier after 1.5 years and many thousands of zero emissions km (BullFrog energy subscriber).

I keep coming back to this thread to see if BMW are getting aggressive with Canadian pricing, but no indication so far...

SmartElectric said:
Hmm. $1000 loyalty dollars.

I got this same reduction ($1K) when buying my Smart ED in Toronto being a Mercedes owner.
Plus they popped another $3000 off MSRP.
Drove away for $19K all-in and couldn't be happier after 1.5 years and many thousands of zero emissions km (BullFrog energy subscriber).

I keep coming back to this thread to see if BMW are getting aggressive with Canadian pricing, but no indication so far...

You can get $2k off fairly easily without negotiating on 2014s right now. But AFAIK you cannot custom order them, so if you want a specific car, you'll need to order a 2015. They are holding firm on the "no discounts" policy for 2015s, but you can get $1k off MSRP + provincial rebates (where applicable). From my understanding, the $5k+ discounts that you get in the US simply don't exist up here...

Pump up this thread to see if any update on Canadian side. I visited dealer today, and dealer insists only 1000 discount, but I saw carcostcanada report shows invoice price and MSRP are 4000$ difference. For 2015 in stock model, I perhaps hope that I can get at least half of dealer margin, as 2016 model is coming.

Back