CHAdeMO / SAE CCS / Tesla adapters

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiloWatts

Right now there are lots more CHADeMO and Tesla DC Fast chargers. Tough to spend $700 for an option that really isn't useable right now.

How about making an adapter that allows an i3 with the SAE fast charger port work with the Tesla or CHAdeMO DC chargers?

Lot of politics to overcome first...

I doubt we will ever see a CHADeMO adapter (Euro manufactures have a vested interest in CCS), the tesla adapter/compatibility is i more likely its really just a modified J1772 protocol/plug that can take much higher charge rates. But I don't see current generation i3's getting in on the act, Tesla/Elon have been pretty clear in interviews - you have to charge at full rate and not take longer than a Tesla to charge. Even with DC prep current gen's aren't rated for that much current.

kilowatts said:
Tough to spend $700 for an option that really isn't useable right now.
It stinks that you have to pay for this. However, if you buy a BEV, it's a must have IMO!

Sure, limited availability right now but they are coming. If you ever think you'll take a LONG road trip in your i3, you won't want to be waiting 4 hours before you can be on your way. Don't see why a REx owner wouldn't do the same. The only difference will be how far you can go between charges.

Zzzoom3 said:
kilowatts said:
It stinks that you have to pay for this. However, if you buy a BEV, it's a must have IMO!

Sure, limited availability right now but they are coming. If you ever think you'll take a LONG road trip in your i3, you won't want to be waiting 4 hours before you can be on your way. Don't see why a REx owner wouldn't do the same. The only difference will be how far you can go between charges.

DC Charging was my ONE REQUIREMENT; I didn't care about the rest of the gadgets that I'll never use. But I couldn't agree with you more, and I have been riding herd on my inside-EV industry and government guys to find out where the lobbyists are on the VHS vs BETA issue, and nobody knows. Glad I found one and got it and my dealer has now said he won't order one for stock without it.

BUMWA said:
Zzzoom3 said:
kilowatts said:

DC Charging was my ONE REQUIREMENT; I didn't care about the rest of the gadgets that I'll never use. But I couldn't agree with you more, and I have been riding herd on my inside-EV industry and government guys to find out where the lobbyists are on the VHS vs BETA issue, and nobody knows. Glad I found one and got it and my dealer has now said he won't order one for stock without it.
Assuming the 'it' in your last sentence is a CHAdeMo -> CCS adapter, allowing you to rapid-charge an i3 from a CHAdeMO charger, can you give us some details and suppliers?

[/quote]Assuming the 'it' in your last sentence is a CHAdeMo -> CCS adapter, allowing you to rapid-charge an i3 from a CHAdeMO charger, can you give us some details and suppliers?[/quote]

The "it" must be an i3 with the CCS option, not a CHAdeMO -> CCS adapter since they don't exist. Even if someone does make one, expect it to cost at least $1,000 as the complex electronics needed will be expensive.

Back