Dutch i3 february 2014 Stormtrooper edition

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutchi3

My white 2014 i3.jpg

Hello,

I am aware of this forum since I have the car, and now and then checked it out for interesting posts. My car is now over 10 years in my possession, so I think it is time to introduce myself :giggle:. What can I say, still pleased with the drive and the range is holding up well after 112.000 km's. I never checked the remaining capacity, but I still manage 100-120km's of range in summer temperatures, depending on circumstances of course. In winter just above freezing, I manage to do approx. 90-100 km's until I run out of electrons. My average long term electricity consumption hovers around 14,5 Kwh per 100 km's. A pretty efficient machine! My tires are Pirelli all-weather tires, it may have an affect on range in summer compared to summer tires, but I don't worry about it. They perform very well and I would buy them again, but at the next change I will return to summer tires.
In general, the remaining range still suits my mobility requirements and I think range is an overstated thing and all those hefty battery packs of today is a waste of precious materials i.m.o. It may be different in the U.S. where people are used to drive large distances.

I recently moved to Portugal, where temperatures are higher and it may have a positive or negative effect on range. Positive, because all-year round the average temperature is higher than in the Netherlands. Negative, because the temperatures in summer may exceed 40 degrees celcius, so battery degradation may go faster. You can not always avoid that your car is parked in full sunlight and the interior may become an oven. No idea how that works out in practise, I know the thermal management will take care while in operation. I have no experience yet with hot temperatures, but the cooling process should eat up some range I guess. In the Netherlands in temperatures above say 30 degrees, the heatpump started to work to cool the batteries but that was a rare occasion. Up to now, I did not hear the heatpump working in air temperatures of 28 degrees here in Portugal.

I did encounter some problems in those 10 years. First problem was a defective charging port. Also, the internal charger had to be replaced at some point, but under warranty. Third problem was a BMS malfunction and the whole battery pack had to be dismounted. Of course just after expiration of the factory warranty. At the moment, I will have to replace the two rubber front strut hoses, a common problem.

The roads here in central Portugal are for a part of the type "nearly empty canyon road" and it is great fun to drive here. If you push the i3, you will notice the lack of grip in tight bends and sometimes it is a shame that a well-powered truck can keep pace with you (the portuguese drive like maniacs), but I am not a racecar driver, so I am satisfied with the performance. You can have a genuine fun experience if you step on it, freude am fahren as the Germans say. The low weight of the car has definitely something to do with it: 1200 KG's versus 1800+ KG's with a Tesla model 3 is quite a difference.

I do not really pamper the battery, I charge to 100% overnight, preferably L2 but at home L1 (2500w). Fast charging about 2 times a week as average, sometimes more often, sometimes less. I try to keep the discharge to above 30%, but with greater distances in winter, that becomes a hassle. I do avoid frequent "spirited driving" and try to hypermile more or less, and also avoid strong regen. I think that being smooth on the regen delays degeneration of the battery as well as not flooring the throttle every time. Less regen is also more efficient, with coasting -especially in the hilly mountains downhill- you get more range.

The interior holds up quite nice as well. I have the base interior trim, but with winter package (heatpump, preheat on the battery, heated seats).
My biggest fear is that I get a serious (electronics) problem (charger, controller, DC converter, motor bearings), so driving gentle is becoming a second nature. Also, repair of the carbon chassis or the glass trunk door can be expensive. You never know, I will not be able to spend many thousand of euro's again on repairs so crossed fingers....

Last edited:
With your move to sunny Portugal, you might consider having your roof wrapped with white vinyl film (foil) or painting it to match your car to protect the CFRP clear coat from UV degradation and reflect some IR radiation to make your cabin cooler. Even if your i3 has a sunroof, its painted metal roof would reflect IR radiation if it were painted white.

I find that very hot temperatures don't (40-45C) don't compromise range all that much -- certainly not like cold temps with the resistive heat (I have a REX). And the comfort climate control is very nice when running errands on hot days.

Back