My wife's 2017 i3 Base

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought the car (2017 BMW i3 BEV base) used in May 2020 with 23k mikes as a birthday present for my wife for $16999. Since then, she travelled 43k additional miles and sits now at about 66700 miles. Other than a bad 12 volt battery at 24k miles, we had no major issues. The car is still like new. Only issue are 2 golf ball sized round dead (black) spots on the center display. Still functional but if we ever sell the car, I will replace the screen. Our i3 still performs flawless and battery degradation is not bad. Capacity still shows 25.9 kwh. When we got it, it showed 27.2 kwh capacity. Displayed range when full shows 128 miles right now.
Interior is holding up well except that the fabric is coming loose from the door panels. Maybe due to the Florida heat.
We will probably trade the i3 in on a new car this coming year. We have not decided yet on what the new vehicle will be but wife wants a F150 Lightning.. Quite a difference in size to the i3. I'm myself a Tesla owner and have a 2022 Model X Plaid. As I said before, the i3 is the wife's car. Only complaint are the tires. Rears only last 20k miles and fronts last 27k miles and no long lasting options available. I pay more for my wife's tires than tires for my Model X Plaid.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• 20231230_093906.jpg
    20231230_093906.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231230_093926.jpg
    20231230_093926.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220627_231432.jpg
    20220627_231432.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sounds like the battery is doing great and does your wife know she can park the i3 in the frunk of the Lightning? (Maybe she does she plans to keep both.)

I have to ask... why make your wife live with the golf ball screen, yet you'll replace the screen for a stranger? There are some used options on eBay.

Last edited:
Sounds like the battery is doing great and does your wife know she can park the i3 in the frunk of the Lightning? (Maybe she does she plans to keep birth.)

I have to ask... why make your wife live with the golf ball screen, yet you'll replace the screen for a stranger? There are some used options on eBay.
She wants to keep the i3 BUT I told her that SHE will have to pay the insurance on the i3. I currently pay for both our cars but if she wants to keep both, I pay the insurance on the Lightning and she has to pay it on the i3. The i3 is not the cheapest car to insure due to the carbon fiber chassis.
The display is still functional. It doesn't bother her.. Like I said, for resale, we will change it as other than that, the car is still in great condition.
Buyers usually will try to haggle on the price if they see the dead spots on the display. They will quote what it would cost for BMW to do it while I can get one on carparts.com or ebay much cheaper. If I replace it now and it goes bad again, I would have to get another one. Just buying it before trading or selling it makes it less likely that the replacement will have issues also.

Last edited:
Back