Charge AC/DC

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, the type-2 port whether by itself or as the top bit of the CCS combined port which you get with the dc option charges at 7kW. The dc will do 50kW with a rapid charger - when they are CCS compatible. That will happen, but there aren't any yet in the UK.

sasman said:
Hi

Can the Bmw i3 use the DC chargers at the moto services? it uses the jari dc connector? CHAdeMO 125 amp 50 kw ..

i have just added the DC fast charge option to my I3 build ...But im not sure if they will be compatible

Rob

We list 'type 2' as 'Mennekes', and this indeed can be filtered. We chose this term as it was the most common term for the plug in the EV circles we spoke with. This is also the same on our iPhone and Android apps

Thanks for trying PlugSurfing!

Adam

Thank you for your clarification I never knew the Mennekes were type 2 connectors.

What do you call the DC rapid charge (50kw) for the i3?

I have down loaded the app but it does not seem to work correctly. When I use the Mennekes filter on the web site I see a few charging options in Sussex, but on the app it shows none!

I have just read on ecotricity webpage "CCS vehicles can use our 22kW AC charge points" does this mean the I3 can charge at 22kw?...

Rob

The standard issue i3 can only do 7kw and, I think, won't take anything from the 22kw posts as it's 3 phase. Why it can't take just 7 of the 22 is a puzzle that I'm sure an electrical engineer and a BMW cost engineer can answer.

The quote from ecotricity seems to imply that the CCS DC option also allows you to use the AC side to some extent at least. I doubt this is the case but until someone tries it, we won't know.

Although I've not tried it the Leaf can charge at 3 or 6kW single phase from the 22kW outlets with its type-2 to type-1 cable so the i3 should be able to also with its type-2 to type-2. Maybe someone on the forum has tried it already?

The i3 will work on almost all 22kW/32A AC charging outlets. But it only uses 1 phase. I do this quite often.

Only if you have the DC/fastcharging option you can actually charge at 7.4kW on an AC connection. Otherwise the max. is 3.6kW (16A) If you have access to a CCS type DC charger (there are only 5 of them now in NL...), you can charge at 50kW.

BTW: a 32A type 2 cable is included if you order the DC/fastcharging option.

A Dutch Zoe driver has started a map that shows all 32A charging points in the Netherlands:https://maps.google.nl/maps/ms?msid=206447280631625111624.0004e35bcbe3d3f6783c9&msa=0

So if I had a standard I3 with no DC fast charge option..I cant charge at 7Kw?

I dont think there is enough information from BMW about this..I have tried to read a lot of info on the I3 and still missed that!!..
I would be very annoyed to have purchased an I3 having read that it can charge at 7Kw only to find when i'm at home i have had the 7Kw charger installed for nothing!...Lucky i have added the DC rapid charge option..

Rob

Middachten said:
The i3 will work on almost all 22kW/32A AC charging outlets. But it only uses 1 phase. I do this quite often.

Only if you have the DC/fastcharging option you can actually charge at 7.4kW on an AC connection. Otherwise the max. is 3.6kW (16A) If you have access to a CCS type DC charger (there are only 5 of them now in NL...), you can charge at 50kW.

A Dutch Zoe driver has started a map that shows all 32A charging points in the Netherlands:https://maps.google.nl/maps/ms?msid=206447280631625111624.0004e35bcbe3d3f6783c9&msa=0

So people fitting home AC fast chargers capable of 32 amp will only benefit if the car has the DC fast prep on board?

Bill

I ordered DC rapid charge - but they didn't include a free type 2 cable here in the UK.

I think they wanted £165 extra for it.

I think I'm only going to use DC charging - when it arrives.

Bunter said:
So people fitting home AC fast chargers capable of 32 amp will only benefit if the car has the DC fast prep on board?
I think this topic is complicated due to the fact that there are different Euro specs. In the UK our cars can charge at 7.4kW AC as standard (with or without DC spec'd) which is different to some other EU countries.

Plug said:
Bunter said:
I think this topic is complicated due to the fact that there are different Euro specs. In the UK our cars can charge at 7.4kW AC as standard (with or without DC spec'd) which is different to some other EU countries.

Ah, OK, that I didn't know.
Then it should be possible to charge at any 32A AC point even without the DC option.

Apologies for the confusion :oops:

Can anyone out there tell me the power of the standard delivered charger.
I have orderer an Rex without the AC and DC fast charging. So I know the car can only be charged with 3,7kW.
But what can I expect with the delivered charger?
I live in denmark, 230V.
A picture of the charger will also be nice :)

Bunter said:
Middachten said:

Bill

Nooooooo. .. In the UK I charge at home on a 32A charger however I do not have dc prep on the car.

I am in the UK, so also ~220V (more like 240V actually).

Here is a photo of my standard EVSE that came with the car:

2014-05-27%2023.57.35-1.jpg

Obviously your one will have a "Schuko" type European plug on it.

The rated current that it draws from the supply when connected is actually 10A.

It is also worth mentioning that 32A charging (only when using the optional Public Charging Cable or a capable home EVSE) is standard equipment for the i3 in the UK.

The standard charger here in Germany can only charge 12A max - you can choose between 6A, 9A and 12A. In reality it is less, somewhere around 11.3A and my meter reads 2.6 kW charging power.
There are some 16A chargers available, but I hesitate to buy one at 400-500 Euro.

Frank

jamesvdv said:
I am in the UK, so also ~220V (more like 240V actually).

Here is a photo of my standard EVSE that came with the car:

2014-05-27%2023.57.35-1.jpg

Obviously your one will have a "Schuko" type European plug on it.

The rated current that it draws from the supply when connected is actually 10A.

It is also worth mentioning that 32A charging (only when using the optional Public Charging Cable or a capable home EVSE) is standard equipment for the i3 in the UK.
Hi
Frank said that his can choose between 6, 9, 12 A
Are you sure it is 10A in UK?
No cars have bin delivered in Denmark yet! Frank does this charger look like yours?

Back