Charge AC/DC

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My charger looks exactly the same but for the plug of course.

Yes, I can choose 6A, 9A or 12A in the i3 menu. Probably I will use 12A most times, as that seems to be more efficient. Charging losses are around 17% when I charge with 12A, but 22% when I charge with 6A. The only reason for using 6A for me will be low input of photovoltaics on a rainy day. In the next weeks I will do some more testing with the different power levels to verify losses.

Frank

Data below from the UK i3 Brochure / Price list.

Standard charge Specification:
AC Type 2 / Mode 2 Charging Cable / up to 2.4kw / 10Amp

Charging time (h):
< 7 for 0-80% State of Charge

Might well be a different spec for Central Europe though.

Hi - most of the ecotricity chargers on the motorways seem to say AC 43 kW - are these incompatible with i3?

jamesvdv said:
Data below from the UK i3 Brochure / Price list.

Standard charge Specification:
AC Type 2 / Mode 2 Charging Cable / up to 2.4kw / 10Amp

Charging time (h):
< 7 for 0-80% State of Charge

Might well be a different spec for Central Europe though.

...and if you have a 32amp charger? Type 2 cable I got 6.9kw and 3 hour charge time? Maybe that's the strengthen AC option in UK?

I think the 43kw is the chademo thingy?

If the plug is proper, you can plug in any charger to the vehicle. The charger advertises how much power it can provide, and the vehicle requests the power it wants (adjustable in the i3's menus). IOW, you can use a ESVE that can source more current than the i3 can use, and if it's internal protocol is proper, it signals the car, and the car adjusts the output current to its liking. Sort of like when you put a 40w lamp into a circuit that can source 20A...it works. But, the ESVE is a bit smarter and doesn't actually turn the power on until the car negotiates the 'terms' about what it wants.

Some (all?) of the home power units have internal adjustments to specify how much it can provide that you may be able to use to limit how much it tells the vehicle it has. You might need to do this to make the unit compatible with it's power source.

Back