Charge flap won't open

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesw1

So the charge flap won't open. Pulled the blue emergency release and that's also not working. Great! Owned the car 1 month and already second trip back to dealer

So I found the problem. The top charging cap is not round. There is a flat on the bottom of it. In the dark and rain I managed to put it on upside down it will go on half way. Then the flap will close. But it won't move in far enough to spring out on the release. Worth putting done coloured tape on the top of it so you can easy see which way is up.

davesw1 said:
So I found the problem. The top charging cap is not round. There is a flat on the bottom of it. In the dark and rain I managed to put it on upside down it will go on half way. Then the flap will close. But it won't move in far enough to spring out on the release. Worth putting done coloured tape on the top of it so you can easy see which way is up.

Thanks for the heads up, its good to know. I had noticed it is not symmetrical (it won't really grab in one direction) but had no idea it could jam up the flap.

How did you manage to get the flap to open?

epirali said:
davesw1 said:

Thanks for the heads up, its good to know. I had noticed it is not symmetrical (it won't really grab in one direction) but had no idea it could jam up the flap.

How did you manage to get the flap to open?

i tried the emergency pull thats hidden in the doorjam, it comes out about 6 inches with a tug, but then i pulled it until it felt like it would snap as its tiny. BMW guy told me, give it a really good yank not a slowly increasing pull, and it popped open, - felt like it would snap the cord but it didnt

Back