Charging options and cables

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rapid no, fast yes.

The i3 uses Type-2 Combo for the DC rapid charger and Type-2 for the AC fast charger.

Rapid will charge the car to 80% in 30 minutes. Fast takes 3 to 4 hours to charge to 100%.

At the moment there are no Type-2 Combo chargers anywhere in the UK. Ecotricity plans to start rolling them out in 2014. They haven't announced any schedule details yet. They plan to eventually have i3 compatible chargers at all their locations.

The i3 will fast charge from an Ecotricity 7 pin Type-2 socket. You will need a Type-2 to Type-2 cable.
Fast charging takes 3-4 hours from empty. The compatible charge points show up as blue "AC Medium" on the Ecotricity map. The map says South Mimms has two of these.

======

Disclaimer: I'm an Ecotricity customer

============

I think the EU TEN-T Ireland-to-Med corridor is being "electrified" next year and as BMW are part of the implementation team and the as Combo connector is the EU standard, i3 compatible chargers will probably be included.

Within the UK, I suppose this will mean you'll be able to drive Birmingham to Felixstowe should the urge take you. And hack all the way South to the Med in 80 mile hops if you had the patience of a saint.

Is I box comes standard with car or it is optional ? if it is optional what is the price range...
especially in interested to know in US

The wall charger (EVSE) will be optional. Good thing, because many of us already have EVSEs.

Your pricing question (and many others) will likely be answered next week.

I recommend the Clipper Creek range of EVSEs. The least expensive is only 5KW, so it will take a little longer the charge the i3. I purchased one in advance of my i3, and as a backup to the Blink supplied as part of last years Leaf purchase. Good move, since the Blink has failed on me (six days before they fixed it!) and the Clipper Creek backup kept us mobile.

The unit is small and light, easily portable if you want to use 220V at a destination.

I agree that a Clipper Creek is good. The LCS-25 is a good, affordable entry model.

But note that you don't NEED a charger, especially if your normal daily driving is 40 miles or less.

My full writeup on this topic is here:

charging station purchasing advice for EV owners
http://electrifyatlanta.com/wp/?page_id=37

Thanks Chris...
I am calling an electrician for some work at home, so, for now I just want to install only 220 volts plug point and latter I want to decide on selecting the EVSE... is that doable?

Does all EVSE comes plugabble or they leave open wire to connect directly to the supply box?

Back