Charging over the pavement

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonb

Hi
I am in the UK, and i wanted to clarify the charging situation before I purchased. (did i mention i want one....i want one.....i want one....)

I currently park outside the front of my house and could have a charging point installed on my house wall, but the cable would traverse over the pavement. Would this be ok if i used one of those cable covers to stop trip hazard etc?

I do have a garage and driveway but they are just around the corner (attached to my neighbours house) and would involve installing a new electricity supply, or pulling from my neighbours (if i butter them up)

Any thoughts on either charging over the pavement or a new electric supply would be great

Thanks
Simon

Do people normally run cables over the pavement in your city? It is -34C here right now and people who park on the street would like to plug in their car block heaters overnight. It is against the law and you could get ticketed. If it’s on a quiet residential street and you can run the cord along an overhanging tree branch they will sometimes let it go though. The city owns and is responsible [and libel] for the sidewalks here.

I would check the local laws and not rely on what the laws are in other parts of the world.

simonb said:
Hi
I am in the UK, and i wanted to clarify the charging situation before I purchased. (did i mention i want one....i want one.....i want one....)

I currently park outside the front of my house and could have a charging point installed on my house wall, but the cable would traverse over the pavement. Would this be ok if i used one of those cable covers to stop trip hazard etc?

I do have a garage and driveway but they are just around the corner (attached to my neighbours house) and would involve installing a new electricity supply, or pulling from my neighbours (if i butter them up)

Any thoughts on either charging over the pavement or a new electric supply would be great

Thanks
Simon

I don't know the legal position but if you speak to the people selling they often ask about the home charging situation. I would investigate installing a new electricity supply into your garage. Might need a separate meter but I know people with that situation who have an electric garage door opener with the supply in the garage only used for that. I don't think the neighbour's supply is really feasible - if you needed to charge every other day it would be £500 ish on their yearly bill.

Bill

simonb said:
Hi

Thanks
Simon

Well, you don't say where in the UK. One may assume a reasonably built up area, an i3 in the depths of the country doesn't make much sense, so it really depends on how busy your road is. If it's a sleepy little cul-de-sac then I'd be inclined to give it a go and see if anyone complains. If. on the other hand, it's a busy thoroughfare then I wouldn't do it.

I think you might be surprised (either way) by the cost of a new installation, if you can wangle the government to pay part of the cost, which they do in many cases, then it could be quite low. BMW will offer a survey of your property and advise, I think this is either free or cheap. If it involves excavation of a lengthy trench to get the power cable in then you might need to find another solution.

Good luck with your quest for leccy locomotion.

simonb said:
Hi

Thanks
Simon
You could always contact your parish or county council to ask their advice.

ChrisRayner said:
an i3 in the depths of the country doesn't make much sense, so it really depends on how busy your road is.
Bramley's not exactly the most urban of places surely ;)

simonb said:
Hi

Thanks
Simon

The cable is only 4m long. So, to route it down to the ground, across the pavement, then upto to the car socket you would need the house to be very close to the pavement and there would be little margin for parking up or down the road!

ChrisRayner said:
Well, you don't say where in the UK. One may assume a reasonably built up area, an i3 in the depths of the country doesn't make much sense

Why not, it's not about where you live it's about your usage profile. What you could say is that living in the depths of the country one is less likely to have a usage profile compatible with an i3 but if you do, it makes as much sense to own an i3 as it does for anyone else with a compatible usage profile.

Bill

Bunter said:
ChrisRayner said:
Well, you don't say where in the UK. One may assume a reasonably built up area, an i3 in the depths of the country doesn't make much sense

Why not, it's not about where you live it's about your usage profile. What you could say is that living in the depths of the country one is less likely to have a usage profile compatible with an i3 but if you do, it makes as much sense to own an i3 as it does for anyone else with a compatible usage profile.

Bill

Exactly! My commute is ~11 miles each way and 3 major towns are less than 15 miles away. I can think of less than half a dozen journeys in the past 12 months where the range of the i3 wouldn't be suitable.

The only concern I have, is when you have to do multiple (possibly unexpected) journeys in a day that would not allow a decent amount of time for the car to recharge.

Thanks for your responses,

I am in the country but no more than 17 miles from 2 large towns and Oxford. so i would work perfectly for my needs.

I was wondering if i could attach to my neighbours electric supply but have my own meter, i have an electrician coming to give me some options.

I have ordered a cable cover to ensure it will be as safe as possible, i may just risk it under the cover of night & see what happens.

Ill see what the electrician says first. Hopefully its not too expsensive!

P.s. i did email my local council and they were not interested in the government backed charging station installation where they pay the local parish to install a public charging point. They were very aggressive in their wording as they said it would be causing a highway obristuction and nusance

simonb said:
Thanks for your responses,

I am in the country but no more than 17 miles from 2 large towns and Oxford. so i would work perfectly for my needs.

I was wondering if i could attach to my neighbours electric supply but have my own meter, i have an electrician coming to give me some options.

I have ordered a cable cover to ensure it will be as safe as possible, i may just risk it under the cover of night & see what happens.

Ill see what the electrician says first. Hopefully its not too expsensive!

P.s. i did email my local council and they were not interested in the government backed charging station installation where they pay the local parish to install a public charging point. They were very aggressive in their wording as they said it would be causing a highway obristuction and nusance
If I were you I'd complain to my MP if you think their response was unjustified or aggressive - the government are supposed to be supporting clean forms of transport - especially BEVs.

ChrisRayner said:
an i3 in the depths of the country doesn't make much sense, so it really depends on how busy your road is.
Bramley's not exactly the most urban of places surely ;)[/quote]

Not the most urban certainly, not, however, in the depths of the country. Obviously depths is not a precise term, but I would intend it to mean over 20-30 miles from major towns. If I lived there I'd consider some other vehicle. :)

ChrisRayner said:
ChrisRayner said:
Bramley's not exactly the most urban of places surely ;)

Not the most urban certainly, not, however, in the depths of the country. Obviously depths is not a precise term, but I would intend it to mean over 20-30 miles from major towns. If I lived there I'd consider some other vehicle. :)

Which would be fine, for you.

However, if someone living in Bramley analysed their vehicle trips and found that the EV range suited their needs there is no reason on earth that we should be telling them not to have one.

I'm 5 miles from the nearest small town, 20 miles from major towns, and 45-50 miles each way from my place of work involving a mind numbing commute around the M25. The REX will suit me just fine. Hopefully it will spend most of its time in pure "hippy friendly" mode, but as and when required the little fossil burner can kick in and fill in the gaps.

It's horses for courses, and my horse should fit this course just fine :)

Lemonypye said:
and 45-50 miles each way from my place of work involving a mind numbing commute around the M25.
Have you got access to a charging point at your place of work ?

Hi Plug,

Yes there are charging points at work. It's just a matter of getting to them first. There's no reservation system, it's first come, first served.

Plug said:
Lemonypye said:
and 45-50 miles each way from my place of work involving a mind numbing commute around the M25.
Have you got access to a charging point at your place of work ?

Lemonypye said:
Yes there are charging points at work. It's just a matter of getting to them first. There's no reservation system, it's first come, first served.
Ah, that makes it a lot easier. I wondered if you were aiming to use the REx regularly if you didn't quite make the full distance on the battery. At least the back-up is there if you find yourself missing a charger slot at work.

I've been trying to convince the company I work for to install a couple of chargers but it doesn't look likely :(

I'm already planning to stretch the legs of REX in February with a trip down to the inlaws in Somerset. Should be about 140 miles. I reckon, full battery, full tank, and a 5 litre jerry tank should just about get there without stressing.

Plug said:
Lemonypye said:
Ah, that makes it a lot easier. I wondered if you were aiming to use the REx regularly if you didn't quite make the full distance on the battery. At least the back-up is there if you find yourself missing a charger slot at work.

I've been trying to convince the company I work for to install a couple of chargers but it doesn't look likely :(

I33t said:
However, if someone living in Bramley analysed their vehicle trips and found that the EV range suited their needs there is no reason on earth that we should be telling them not to have one.

Which is where I live, and for which the analysis fits fine for a BEV. I've got no objection to anyone buying any car they please. With the possible exception of Yummy Mummies and Chelsea Tractors. It's really irritating being obstructed in a narrow lane facing a perplexed bottle blonde at the wheel of a Range Rover with no idea where her vehicle begins and ends. And a look on her face which says, "Look, don't you know who I am?!"

My 2 cents (pence?) is that I think you'll fine with a cable cover to avoid any trip hazard. Tradesmen etc use these all the time and they would generally be very obedient to H and S measures.

Back