Charging with reduced power.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottybiff

Chargepoint home charger works fine with tesla but is charging with reduced power in 2016 i3. Research indicates kle (?) or onboard charger (inverter) is failing and only 50% functioning. Anyone replace this part or have this experience? Thanks.

I assume that AC Level 2 charging power isn't set to "Reduced" in iDrive.

Our new 2014 i3 had a KLE with a design or parts flaw, so BMW had reduced the charging power of the KLE itself by 50% in software to minimize the possibility of the KLE failing. Because a second charger is in that i3, the total charging power was 75% of its maximum 7.2 kW, or 5.4 kW. After manufacturing improved replacements, BMW replaced our KLE under warranty with a system software update that restored full charging power.

So a defective KLE or a defective charger in the EME would result in reduced charging power. I would think that either problem would set a diagnostic trouble code (DTC). Have you scanned for DTC's with an OBD scanner that knows proprietary BMW DTC's like BimmerLink?

2014 BEV here. I have the “charging at reduced power” for over a year now. My commute is 20 miles, so no huge rush to get this fixed. I plugin with a Juicebox level 2. The car charges slow, near 110v plug speeds. Any chance the car will brick if the KLE were to completely fail? I’m pretty sure my car is out of warranty. Any chance BMW extended it? Is the repair DIY possible?

2014 BEV here. I have the “charging at reduced power” for over a year now. My commute is 20 miles, so no huge rush to get this fixed. I plugin with a Juicebox level 2. The car charges slow, near 110v plug speeds. Any chance the car will brick if the KLE were to completely fail? I’m pretty sure my car is out of warranty. Any chance BMW extended it? Is the repair DIY possible?
Have you scanned for diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) using an OBD scanner like the BimmerLInk smartphone app? If the KLE or the charger in the EME has failed or isn't working at full power, I would think that a DTC would have been recorded that would help you diagnose the problem.

If either charger has failed completely, your maximum AC Level 2 charging power would be 3.8 kW (16 A at 240 V). That's much higher than the maximum AC Level 1 charging power using the EVSE included with your i3, 1.4 kW (12 A at 120 V). If your AC Level 2 charging power is near AC Level 1 power, then something else must be wrong.

Our 2014 i3 was manufactured on 1 August 2014 and had a defective KLE, so all i3's manufactured before that date also had defective KLE's. Maybe some i3's manufactured after 1 August 2014 also had defective KLE's. So your i3 likely had a defective KLE when it was manufactured. This defective KLE would likely have been replaced already, but it might be worth checking with a BMW dealer to verify this. If it hasn't been replaced, maybe BMW would authorize a replacement at no cost now. However, if it has already been replaced and the replacement has failed, you'd probably have to pay for a replacement.

In this situation, I'd look for a used KLE at a significant cost savings. Replacing the KLE would be quite labor-intensive requiring draining and replacing coolant, disconnecting and connecting high-voltage cables, and some disassembly to gain access to the KLE. However, anyone with good mechanical skills and some tools could probably replace a KLE following BMW's official replacement instructions. However, the replacement KLE would need to be programmed before it would work which requires proprietary BMW maintenance software which any BMW mechanic would have.

I have a 2014 REX (US model) that I recently took to the dealership to diagnose a check engine light. The mechanic said that the "charging electronic module" is failing and will eventually fail completely. They quoted $6600 to replace it and said that the engine and transaxle would need to come out. When I followed up to ask if they were referring to the KLE, the service liaison seemed unsure (and uninterested). Upon doing some research, I came across a post where a gent replaced his KLE and did it without dropping the motor, but removed the rear bumper, shields and I think the motor mount brackets, however, I cannot find it. The same guy commented that the new KLE he installed did not need to be programmed, just "woken" or something to that effect. Unfortunately, I cannot find that post after multiple searches. It may have been on Facebook, which has horrendous search capability. I do have Bimmerlink and have the codes that trip when I charge overnight. I believe the relevant ones are posted below.

I think the only way this car stays viable for me is if I find a warrantied, junked part and swap it myself. I would love to find someone who can validate that the KLE is definitely the problem.

Attachments

• IMG_0411.PNG
    IMG_0411.PNG
    161.7 KB · Views: 0
I have a 2014 REX (US model) that I recently took to the dealership to diagnose a check engine light. The mechanic said that the "charging electronic module" is failing and will eventually fail completely. They quoted $6600 to replace it and said that the engine and transaxle would need to come out. When I followed up to ask if they were referring to the KLE, the service liaison seemed unsure (and uninterested). Upon doing some research, I came across a post where a gent replaced his KLE and did it without dropping the motor, but removed the rear bumper, shields and I think the motor mount brackets, however, I cannot find it. The same guy commented that the new KLE he installed did not need to be programmed, just "woken" or something to that effect. Unfortunately, I cannot find that post after multiple searches. It may have been on Facebook, which has horrendous search capability. I do have Bimmerlink and have the codes that trip when I charge overnight. I believe the relevant ones are posted below.

I think the only way this car stays viable for me is if I find a warrantied, junked part and swap it myself. I would love to find someone who can validate that the KLE is definitely the problem.
U.S. i3's have 2 on-board chargers. One is the KLE (convenience charging electronics) and the other is part of the EME (electric motor electronics). The BimmerLink screenshot that you included is showing EME errors. However, the EME is the most expensive electronic module in an i3 and probably can't be replaced for $6,600, so maybe the dealership thinks the less expensive KLE needs to be replaced.

If either charger fails completely, the maximum charging power would be reduced by 50%, so you could still charge at a maximum AC charging power of 3.6 kW. DC fast charging would probably be unaffected. I have been AC Level 2 charging our i3's at home for a decade at only 3.3 kW (16 A @ 208 V), so I wouldn't be affected by the loss of one of the 2 on-board chargers. Depending on how much you drive each day, you might be able to continue enjoying your i3 with only 1 functioning on-board charger.

Back