Mode 3 charging - what is it?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilHopkins

Hi everyone

I have been having a look around in my 2022 i3 charging settings and found a Mode 3 which is set to reduced.
(Pic here https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZJh45Yu34QMLsgeUA )

What is it? I have been hunting about online and can't find anything to convince me if it is for home chargers, superfast public chargers or something else...

It is currently on "reduced" - whatever it is for, should it ever be on max?

Thanks!

Hello NeilHopkins –

Not sure where you are (and your local voltage) but selecting the "Reduced" option contributes to the longevity of the traction battery.

If you're in the US and charge at 110V then you might need to charge at Max just to make your commute.

If you're in the US and charge at 240V (or in the UK and have 3-phase charging) then you might be able to get the range you need, charging overnight at "Reduced".

I'm in the US and the "Mode 3" option isn't something that's available in my settings.

NeilHopkins said:
I have been having a look around in my 2022 i3 charging settings and found a Mode 3 which is set to reduced.
(Pic here https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZJh45Yu34QMLsgeUA )

What is it? I have been hunting about online and can't find anything to convince me if it is for home chargers, superfast public chargers or something else...

It is currently on "reduced" - whatever it is for, should it ever be on max?
From Wikipedia:

• Mode 1: slow charging from a regular electrical socket (single- or three-phase AC)
• Mode 2: slow charging from a regular AC socket but with some EV-specific protection arrangement (i.e. the Park & Charge or the PARVE systems)
• Mode 3: slow or fast AC charging using a specific EV multi-pin socket with control and protection functions (i.e. SAE J1772 and IEC 62196-2)
• Mode 4: DC fast charging using a specific charging interface (i.e. IEC 62196-3, such as CHAdeMO)

If the electricity supply cannot provide full power, it could shut off. Setting the charging power to "Reduced" could prevent this from happening. Full power AC charging doesn't damage the battery pack, so I would set the Mode 3 charging to "Max".

Hopefully, an i3 owner familiar with Modes 2 and 3 AC charging will provide more information. North American i3 owners don't have these choices.

Thanks both - much appreciated! We haven't changed the setting just yet - still trying to find out what it does on a UK power supply!

Back