Climate control issue

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GiantPeaches

Hi All,

I'm having issues with my 2014 BEV climate control.

I was coding with bimmercode to diable "Enable/disable the automatic activation of the air conditioning when the AUTO mode is turned on."
Once it was coded and done it's calibration process A/C button no longer illuminates or operates.
Secondly, I can't seem to turn off climate control all together. I have tried reverting back to factory coding but that didn't help.

Fan speed adjustment still works on all speed settings but can't turn it off so it's always running, currently have it running in the lowest speed setting.

Any idea on how to fix this before I replace the IHKA assembly?

I've experienced weird climate control behavior after implementing an IHKA coding change. If I recall correctly, I also could not turn off the climate control system after saving the change. Even worse, the HV system would not shut down normally which reduced the 120 Ah battery pack charge level by ~25% over 2 days. I reverted the coding change, then reapplied the change, and watched until the HV system shut off automatically. Afterwards, everything behaved normally with my change implemented.

Don't rush to replace the IHKA module. Let the HV system turn off and the various electronic modules sleep (e.g., overnight). If you still can't turn off the climate control system, make sure that you have the current BimmerCode version. Then go to BimmerCode's settings and click "Check for Update" to download the current data file, if necessary. Then make another IHKA coding change to force the IHKA module to restart. Hopefully, it will eventually read the new values of its coding parameters and behave accordingly.

that's exactly the issue I'm having. HV battery seem to drain quite a bit overnight. I see it go into sleep mode when I turn off the vehicle and lock it, screen goes off and it should be in sleep mode.

Unfortunately, it's been two weeks with this issue and when I reached out to bimmercode they just told me I have ac error code and don't quite acknowledge the actual issue.

how did you watch it shut off automatically?

that's exactly the issue I'm having. HV battery seem to drain quite a bit overnight. I see it go into sleep mode when I turn off the vehicle and lock it, screen goes off and it should be in sleep mode.

Unfortunately, it's been two weeks with this issue and when I reached out to bimmercode they just told me I have ac error code and don't quite acknowledge the actual issue.

how did you watch it shut off automatically?
The HV system stays on longer than the 12 V system when an i3 is shut off. It's not always possible to determine whether the HV system is on. I have a 12 V system monitor installed which tells me when the DC-DC converter is on because the 12 V system voltage is ~14 V. However, if the 12 V battery charge level is high enough, the DC-DC converter won't be on to charge it yet the HV system might be on. Because we don't drive very often, the DC-DC converter is almost alway on to charge the 12 V battery, so when the DC-DC converter turns off, I can be pretty sure that the HV system has turned off. To be safe, I generally assume that the HV system turns off no more than 30 minutes after an i3 is shut off, a door, the frunk, or the hatch has been opened, closed, locked, or unlocked, or charging or cabin or battery pack preconditioning has completed, any of which would reset the HV system off timer.

I wish I understood why our and your i3 started misbehaving after making an IHKA coding change, but I don't. Maybe I was lucky that reversing and then reapplying the coding change fixed the problem

Back