Customising order/extras - any tips?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logorrhoea

Hi - my finance has just been approved and I'm be ordering a standard i3 on a corporate lease. I'll be finalising the options tomorrow and wondered what extras were worth getting. Particularly interested in hearing from people who have already received their i3s.

Specifically, I'm debating whether to get the parking assist package or the DC quick charge preparation. I think I could probably budget for one but not both. Any opinions?

I haven't got my i3 yet but it will be arriving on 1st March. I didn't bother with parking assist as it comes with rear sensors and I can already park ;-)

The rapid charge only added £2 per month to my lease, so it must have good perceived residual value meaning you might be able to have have both.

Hi logorrhoea

Do you realise that you need to upgrade the interior to be able to spec the parking assist ? That's something that's easy to miss in the small print but if you didn't know it's probably a quick answer to your dilemma :)

Thanks, Ross. If it already comes with rear sensors as standard then that's probably all I need. We've got a rear camera on the main family car and hardly use it because it's rare that you get a clear view from it. That said, I think it only adds another £1 or so to the monthly lease so might be worth getting for the times the wife's borrowing the car.

Good to know about the rapid charge.

Plug - hello! I'm upgrading to the lodge interior but thanks for the tip.

Plug said:
Hi logorrhoea

Do you realise that you need to upgrade the interior to be able to spec the parking assist ? That's something that's easy to miss in the small print but if you didn't know it's probably a quick answer to your dilemma :)

Interesting statement - I have ordered park assist with no interior upgrade!

Plug said:

I think you mean the "Driving Assistant Plus" package. That's the one requiring an interior upgrade. Or at least in Belgium;-)

Regards,
Stef

stef007 said:
Plug said:

I think you mean the "Driving Assistant Plus" package. That's the one requiring an interior upgrade. Or at least in Belgium;-)

Regards,
Stef

Yes you are correct. Just looked in my UK specification pamphlet and that is th cease for UK as well.

Oops sorry, I thought it was both assist packages. I'll go back to sleep now.

logorrhoea said:
Hi - my finance has just been approved and I'm be ordering a standard i3 on a corporate lease. I'll be finalising the options tomorrow and wondered what extras were worth getting. Particularly interested in hearing from people who have already received their i3s.

Specifically, I'm debating whether to get the parking assist package or the DC quick charge preparation. I think I could probably budget for one but not both. Any opinions?

Not an owner yet but if I had to choose between those two I would go for DC charging prep, assuming we're not talking about a REX.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet is that the parking assist package adds front sensors and with the view of the front a bit limited, that could be worth having depending on circumstance.

Bill

Where in Surrey are you? I'm happy to show you mine with Park Assist if you're interested.

I'd echo Bunter's comment on the front being tricky to judge - it's easy to begin to think the nose is so short you can get right up close to a wall. But I think without the beepers I could over-compensate & end up bashing it!

AndyW said:
Where in Surrey are you? I'm happy to show you mine with Park Assist if you're interested.

I'd echo Bunter's comment on the front being tricky to judge - it's easy to begin to think the nose is so short you can get right up close to a wall. But I think without the beepers I could over-compensate & end up bashing it!
+1, I don't have the park assist pack and the front is actually really difficult to judge. I tend to reverse park instead now (I never used to), it's very easy with the tight turning circle! :)

Bunter said:
Not an owner yet but if I had to choose between those two I would go for DC charging prep, assuming we're not talking about a REX.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet is that the parking assist package adds front sensors and with the view of the front a bit limited, that could be worth having depending on circumstance.

Bill

Hi Bill. Yes, we're talking about the standard non-REX car. I can't see myself trying to do a massive amount of long journeys but I guess it'll be nice to have the option of a quick charge at an amenable services.

Good point about the front sensors. I find those quite useful in the gas guzzler.

AndyW said:

I'm in Redhill, so not that convenient but I really appreciate the offer. Since you've now got experience of the park assist, do you think you would get it on the next car you get?

logorrhoea said:
Hi Bill. Yes, we're talking about the standard non-REX car. I can't see myself trying to do a massive amount of long journeys but I guess it'll be nice to have the option of a quick charge at an amenable services.

Good point about the front sensors. I find those quite useful in the gas guzzler.

Just to make sure that you aren't disappointed and in case you hadn't read much here, there are currently no i3 compatible DC charging points in the UK. The reason I prioritise it so highly is in order to fully realise the cars potential in the future should i3 compatible rapid charge points become available.

Bill

Bunter said:
Just to make sure that you aren't disappointed and in case you hadn't read much here, there are currently no i3 compatible DC charging points in the UK. The reason I prioritise it so highly is in order to fully realise the cars potential in the future should i3 compatible rapid charge points become available.

Bill

Thanks, Bill. Doing a bit more digging around I realised that the rapid charging points installed by Ecotricity at motorway services aren't compatible. I see they're planning to install what they call CCS(?) points but I'm not clear if they'll give the 30 minute charge that would make long distance drives more feasible. The car's going to be a 3 year lease so hopefully at some stage during that time more DC charging points will be available.

Back